Rolling Fortress | LaCroix Prototipo | Dual Focbox/6374 | DIY MBS Geared Drive | 12S4P

It’s definitely stronger than PLA and I think in specs even ABS.

Not sure how long they will last though, thus the hold back on STLs just so I can give them enough time to test them.

1 Like

Great build and writeup Erv! Well done.

1 Like

beautiful, impressive drive system as well…respect. I wish I had gotten in on the lacroix group buy :frowning:

6 Likes

Great work buddy!

It’s the perfect dream build for me. Really interested in how the gears turn out. Do you mind ballparking the total cost of the build?

2 Likes

Because I build the battery myself and essentially printed the drive, I spent approximately 1800USD give or take.

Unfortunately I live on the other end of the globe, so shipping was a real pain… could have shaved off 300US just on shipping alone.

2 Likes

I know your pain (sweetened by pack of Haribo), after additional shipping costs I also paid customs that in total exceeded regular price (well, this should make @mmaner feel a little less bad for his poor reflex).

Nevertheless: great build! I really love printed gear idea and would love to see it work reliably as it really bothers me that available solutions cost half a kidney while I’ve already sold one.

2 Likes

I have tortured my other printed gear drive a fair bit and it holds up well enough to abuse. The only wear was when a motor screw dislodged and got caught in the gears… (not fun)

However I don’t go fast, no where near the speeds demons I hear of here. Firstly because my I only have mortal balls as opposed to those of steel. And more importantly the laws here greatly limit electrically driven devices. Failure to adhere will mean they take your board away and destroy it after they charge you in court.

As such for my purposes the printed drive might surffice but not for others needing more durability.

1 Like

71ac4150-8edc-4f16-b66b-4df3ac4fa49d

Wow it’s such a weird feeling to be able to ride over this and still keep going!!

My last board has MBS 100mm “All Terrain” wheels but frankly it wouldn’t make it past the first 5m…

9 Likes

Looks like so much fun. How does it carve? Can you slide it on the gravel?

I think the red shock blocks are too stiff… doesn’t carve as well as I hope. Will try swapping them out for something softer…

As for sliding on gravel didn’t try! Wasn’t wearing enough protection to risk getting banged up haha…

Just beautiful and…awesome

More than a little interested in the drive design, what are you going to lube it with? Think @Deckoz was getting a good result with white grease. You can get good ones in marine chandlers. Resists water and very low fling

1 Like

I am currently using a high temp lube but it’s not working out for me… After riding a while I am pretty sure it gets louder and louder maybe cos the lube is being thrown all over the place…

I tried spray on white lithium and that’s even more runny!

What’s marine chadlers?

Boat shop suppliers, the white gick used to grease parts that get immersed in water

Hmm… Okay let me go hunt…

In a small tub…Deckoz used it to good effect afaik

Something like this, but cheaper in a tub https://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnson-Evinrude-Triple-Guard-Marine-Cartridge/dp/B00R55K544

Looks promising

Superb build :ok_hand:t2: Well done

Yea. I used white lithium paste. :slight_smile:

Lithium paste…that sounds thicker… Mine is a spray which doesn’t seem thick at all