Rocket Boards NEW site and new product: the FOCBOX!

yea got a roll of fuse wire at home now and have been doing quite a few packs with it, havent had any blow and use clear heatshrink for easy inspection

fuses seem overkill. I donā€™t even use a bms for myself

. but copper strip compression could be cheap and has real performance advantages as you showed. iā€™m going to do a ghetto version with rubber bands.

really? single or double strip? I like copper since it has less resistance however it was a bit time consuming at first, after so many the build time drastically decreases. I like that idea though I feel like finding a manufacturer may be difficult, but surely possible and will definetly be following that if you follow through. thin spacers are a little bit more towards where im leaning now along with a smart bms

:joy: love the rubber band idea getting them to hold up to under deck vibrations may be difficult

I agree on the smart bms, defiantly want one. But the costs are going to make batteries insanely expensive.

Single. oh and if i can find the nickel on a roll at a reasonable price i can have Shirly cutting them out all day. Donā€™t really need a manufacturer. Just the right tool for the job.

Thing is 99% pure nickel on a roll wider than a centimeter is fucking expensive. And i need at least a foot wide.

Iā€™m still looking though.

you check Alibaba.com ? the world has shrunk and cheap china is next door.

Iā€™m doing the rubber bands. gunna work. vibrations shouldnā€™t affect itā€¦the whole unit would be isolated. been wanting a simple compression pack for ages. ive got copper strip galore. spent a fortune developing itā€¦and now just want to do rubber bands.

1 Like

there are a few out there but as you stated very expensive, Its so tempting though, i just dont like bumping up in size everytime i want more discharge

I cut my own copper strips now rather than pay for them, Just one big roll of .2mm copper sheet and cut to whataver dimentions i need. maybe he could cut my sheet for me

why not springs? havent had time to go on alibaba

rather just use a better, simpler, one-plug balance charger and that wouldnā€™t be too hard to make with the right plug. bms seem to break more than almost anything. take up space. expensive. limiting. and surely a cell can last till it gets back home to be balancedā€¦if it cant it was probably screwed to begin with

rubber bands seems easier! just have to make sure the copper doesnā€™t cut into the wrong polarityā€¦which the stuff easily seems to do. and a band could hold it all in place better I bet. and they can hold their springiness for a long enough time I bet.

I use bms because of ease I guess balance chargers arent too hard if you know what youre doing but i cant seem to get away from the one plug charging solution

1 Like

a one-plug balance charger with many prongs I was thinking. one plug all the way

rubber bands will probably be much easier, i think im like you where I just care about what works, I just cant see a customer wanting to buy a battery assembled with rubber bands:cry:

I always like where your heads at

if it works it works though. and this is just for me. I hate soldering or even the idea of spot welding with nickel. people do that because itā€™s easy and done on a large scale but surely for us, being small, copper is doable. Iā€™ll be throwing it together this week. theres probably a better rubber band out there these days. I made a lot of versions that would allow the board to be the compression pack and youā€™d pop in the cells but itā€™s too much work. just separate wrapped up packs ā€¦Iā€™ve even seen duct tape and copperā€¦not that I think thatā€™s a good idea as that will lose itā€™s spring quickly. thanks

@Hummie The thing you forget about balance chargers is they arenā€™t cheap. BMS or balance charger, your paying either way for the balancing.

I agree small scale makes it much easier, I was not a fan of spotwelding but the later if nickel keeps the heat when soldering from reaching the cell so I get the best of both worlds

yeah iā€™ll take a BMS over a 12S balance charger any day. But if it was just me and a few boards of different ack sizesā€¦ yeah single plug balance charger that can work with all my boards by selecting the cell count at charge time? yeah, thatā€™s not a bad plan really.