RipTide Sports Inc. is not associated with the Ride Riptide electric skateboard

@Idle I found this riptidesports site but I don’t see how they’re selling fake rip tide boards, they only sell longboard bushings.

I see they are using a very similar name, but there’s talk on this thread of a rip tide clone catching on fire and don’t see how this site could have sold any boards like that, as they only sell bushings as far as i can see

As far as I can tell, this an actual riptide board, not a knock-off. In the video he even mentions getting it from the riptide Kickstarter campaign

1 Like

facepalm! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Yes “Ride Riptide” have ripped off “RipTide Sports” name who have been trading in the market as “RipTide” for many years! Ride Riptide often refer to them self simply as “Riptide”…

This is not cool!

6 Likes

@pennyboard you have it all backwards

RipTide sports has been providing bushings and like to the skate industry for a very long time, and well known in the industry.

Ride RipTide is trying to capitalize on the ~20 years of RipTide sports success in the industry by copying thier name

3 Likes

You got your signals crossed mate. RipTide Sports is a reputable brand in the skateboard world that has been around for a long time but they don’t have anything to do with electric skateboards. Ride Riptide is a very recent electric skateboard company who are marketing themselves as RipTide.

2 Likes

Okay, I see, thanks for the clear explanation.

Yeah this makes sense now. Ride riptide, selling electric skateboards, is ripping off of riptide, the company that makes and sells bushings for many years. Got it

Sorry for the dumb questions and confusion.

3 Likes

Huh… seems the guy plugged a 50V charger in the 6S batt, the bms didnt do shit about it…

3 Likes

sent them a quick email (didnt mention you directly, or this forum) and this is the response I got back: “We have gone along with their approvals and requests since the beginning (actually before launching). Our product is called the Riptide, which they approved of. Our company is called RideRiptide per their request.”

1 Like

Maybe it’s time to talk to a lawyer? See if there have been any violations of the law or something.

If it hasn’t be done yet, that is.

EDIT : read up a little bit…if I’m understanding this right…what RideRiptide is doing might be considered infringement…

3 Likes

Shredlights and Ride Riptide are the same

4 Likes

Yeah I was told it’s the same guys as the shredlights

Yeah you are right Ben

Same dude from the “RideRiptide” crowdfunding campaigns.

@Alphamail definitely needs to kick it up a gear. I wonder if @Arch could share some of his IP law experience, maybe suggest a line of action? either here or over pm with Brad…

2 Likes

Generally speaking, trademark law attempts to prevent “risk of confusion” between 2 sources of products. Here, we’re beyond that, there are actual cases of people who have confused the 2. So on it’s face alone, you have a good case. @Alphamail, dm me if you want to chat, I’ll steer you in the right direction.

13 Likes

This is some serious bullshit. Just the other day I was reminded about the Riptide R1 and thought it was weird that Riptide Sports (the real one) would be selling a cheap Chinese electric skateboard. Seemed kind of out of place for an established, legitimate company that specializes in high quality urethane parts. And now I know why. “Ride Riptide” is a joke, and they seem to be purposefully misrepresenting themselves and misleading people into thinking they are associated with the original company “Riptide Sports” (who we all know and love). That’s fucking shameful and wrong. And they’re the same guys that make Shredlights?! WTF is that about? This sounds way too much like that human excrement Alextech trying to make some scammy AATorque Systems, knowing people could get it confused with Torqueboards.

@Alphamail, I’m sorry you have to deal with this, but I think you need to bring the giant lawyer hammer down on these fools. This is way too blatant and confusing. Your hard work and reputation to the unknowing consumer could be on the line. Hell, they even have a nice little wave line on their board that looks like a regurgitation of the lines in your logo. And if these are the Shredlights guys behind this, I know who’s getting boycotted and blacklisted in my book. Disgusting.

/rant

6 Likes

Whooda thunk the dudes behind selling cheap imported leds for 1 million % markup…oh but they last THREE whole hours

4 Likes

At least that product had an original name. :roll_eyes: They could have used their own brand name and called it a Shred Board or something. Makes more sense than a Riptide. Or Riptide “Elite” (taking another page from Alextech?) :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Damn… That sucks…

They couldn’t just choose another name! There are tons of names out there.

2 Likes

so I did a similar dumb thing recently plugged 42v charger into a 7s2p (24v) it took a charge, seemed to take forever to complete (didn’t charge just stopped after several hours) BUT it didn’t catch fire wasn’t even hot and it looks like I killed the BMS (I think still to investigate) I kinda assumed that this is what to expect - seems I was rather lucky (a fire like that would have destroyed my deckstack :open_mouth:)

1 Like

I just want to say that although both companies use a common name which is deceiving to the uneducated consumer. I am able to distinguish between the two companies by insignia and font styling to know the difference one specializes in polyurethane bushing and the other is just another company providing an electric skateboard trying to be different, but the parts seem to be from China if they can sell it for the price they can.

Official statements clear any confusion.

Right now it boils down to the use of the name “Riptide”, not the logos. And since both are considered selling “skateboard goods” or “sporting goods”, it may be considered in a court of law that there is intent to cause consumer confusion. And that would be considered “trademark infringement”. However, if they were in different markets, as defined by the law, then it’d be fine.

For me, the biggest gripe I have is that Ride Riptide refuses to mediate the situation, and it’s obvious they know what they’re doing and don’t care. And yes, an official statement would clear things up and get them out of a hole.

But there’s a problem I’ve noticed after perusing their website…and it doesn’t look good. They are actually marketing themselves not as Ride Riptide, but as Riptide Electric Skateboards or Riptide Electric. They are introducing themselves to the press and the public as Riptide Electric. Heck, if one hovers their mouse cursor over the top left corner ‘Riptide’ logo on their website, a pop-up window will say ‘Riptide Electric Skateboard’. They only bothered to change the website address to ‘rideriptide’ and the subsequent email addresses to said website, but still call themselves ‘Riptide Electric’.

And yes, all their boards are assembled in China. They claim that the board is a mix of off-the-shelf and custom parts, but it’s obvious that the only custom part is putting a logo onto an off-the-shelf enclosure.

1 Like