RIP TSG Pass you served me well

Evidence points to hardware failure, but it’s possible it’s fw.

@Hummie i was using Ollin vescs

2 Likes

Hardware failure seems almost nonexistent with chaka vesc…

Firmware failure with 3.29 also seems almost nonexistent though…

i could’ve made the drv blow easily on fw 2.18/2.54. FOC was running way less smoothly in those fw’s

Thanks for video…

Shoot motor lockup is my biggest fear after riding @mccloed board lol. Glad your okay @Jinra

1 Like

one of my Vesc-X/FocBox failed on FOC. I assume it was my setting error that did something, hard to tell if it’s hardware issues since only one failed and the other still works in FOC, it’s still on its way to @JohnnyMeduse. This is scary as hell since I’ve been using bldc for well over a year with no issues. Most likely going to stick with BLDC, don’t want to buy more vesc just to fry them or get injured.

Rest up @jinra. This is why we push to protect our melons

Well, I’ve been using foc on FocBox for more than a year now, with the old firmware of course, without glitch or a problem. I don’t think the issue is Hardware related.

1 Like

In this case I do believe it’s a hardware issue as I was able to get DRV fault to trigger once on the bench, but it runs normally most of the time. I might be toasting my DRV so I’ll leave it on bldc for now.

There is also the case of the perma braking FOC mode, which may or may not be related to the DRV issue.

And lastly, there is one more issue wither other people who use 3.27+ f/w and have perma braking FOC without ever even running the motors.

When your focbox was failing in FOC mode. Did the motor just brake ? Or did the VESC simply just power down, and leave the board Rolling ?

It was working fine after a few initial tests when I was building, then the last run I did had weak brakes so I was rolling to a stop. It turns out only one motor was working. Plugged the FocBox to the computer and got no fault, inspected everything and it seemed fine. I reset the FB in question and ran fault again, it gave the dreaded DRV failure but nothing else, wasn’t able to get it up and running again.

Motors are new and nothing was shorted…the other FB works fine and turns both motors so off to the DRV wizard it went.

Not sure what your wheel size and gear ratios are but 35mph seems awfully close to hitting the vesc’s know ERPM limit of 60,000. I’ve gotten it to give me a drv fault on the bench but never had the balls to go that fast on the road. So glad your ok! Helmets people hemets!

Depends entirely on your gearing, but for me 35mph is about 50k erpm.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Classic video

1 Like

this is scary hope you feel better !

How did you have your VESC’s connected: canbus or ppm/split?

Split PPM

10 chars

Have you ruled out that maybe that could be the problem? Communication/sync from both Vesc’s? I’ve read that Vedder explicitly suggests to use canbus…always.

Yea i’m 100% sure that wasn’t the issue. FOC has been iffy on my setup for a while.

aaaand the VESC is dead. I was on BLDC mode and it died after some quick throttling (from 30% to 70% quickly). Motor doesn’t spin right anymore and I’m nearly positive it’s a dead DRV. Guess I’ll send it off to @chaka