Riding with focbox turned off?

I understood from others before that riding without batteries is quick doom and the motor will power on the vesc and get overburdened with current and get damaged. And braking especially will do it. I’ve experienced suden braking when I’d ridden e no batteries. But ur saying even with batteries connected brownouts could happen if board is off and this could damage. Know were going in circles here but I need a couple loops

Hummie

If your considering “Braking” while the board is powered off, chaka has covered this

-If you have a loop key, you have a incomplete circuit, with the board powered off, braking currents would have no where to go, burn up is inevitable

-if you have a soft switch(mosfet antispark), with the board powered off, the circuit to the battery is still technically “complete” and braking currents have some where to go.

with either of those scenarios with the board powered OFF if you take braking OUT of the picture. The voltage being supplied to the VESC coming from the motor, will not be a constant voltage that can keep the VESC within operating voltages. In other words, unless you never stop and never go below x rpm to maintain X volts, your VESC will be going through waves of brownouts when power is supplied by motor/generator.

Does that make sense?

1 Like

Thanks yes.
A bit different related question: you mentioned the fet switch being able to complete a circuit and braking being possible even if board is off. Right? As apposed to a true broken circuit.
+++ I rode around w batteries disconnected without braking and didn’t ruin the vesc but hear I could’ve. I did have brakes slam on. Won’t do I again but are u saying if had a fet switch, and powered off, I’d be OK coasting or even braking if batteries connected?

Yes you’d be “fine” with regards to somewhere for the current to go. Still would have low speed brownouts, better off just turning the board on and leaving the remote turned off in your pocket.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was saying. Fashionable to disagree then agree I guess…