Ride riptide R1 elite/full makeover

So my wife got me the Riptide r1 back in March because she knew I’ve been eyeing the esk8 scene for some time. received_168287137202044 It’s been fun, but definitely left me wanting more. So I started looking into diy options. Got parts stacking up, mounts & 6374 motors from @marcmt88, focbox from @Scoo_B_SK8, @Hummie deck ordered. e92a9b5f7f7c1bde3ea634f42bc313b77613a2a5_1_375x500 e85f38c43bba62e5cce0bab473a498d9bc07f220_1_666x500 IMG_20180612_142418_577 Thought my R1 would make it untill I could start building my first board. WRONG LOL

6 Likes

So… This happened image Contacted Riptide and while they will replace the rear truck they are out of stock. So luckily I have caliber hangers I’m not using for my hummie deck and tb base plates (I wanna replace those tho). I just ordered mounts from @JLabs seeing he has his half price atm. So rather than wait on another pair of the crap truck the board came with I’m gonna do one better. I figured since I gotta take it apart I might as well change out the deck for one of the many decks I have laying around. Tried a arbor short board I have and a Santa Cruz both were too narrow for the wide trucks . Pulled out an old zip deck and I think it’s gonna work out. image image image No wheel bite!! I plan to slowly replace the battery/speed control and motors as time goes by but I’m more focused on building my hummie deck. I’d love to upgrade the battery asap but I’m not putting those kinda funds into this until I get to ride my hummie deck.

1 Like

Ended up Fred Flintstoning it to and from work tonight on this thing. Not to bad. Came home swapped bearings and changed up split angles and bushings. (Really need pivot cups… they might as well not be there) Tempted to go on a night ride but I’m beat.

1 Like

So my bkb mounts got here today. Thanks @JLabs for the fast shipping. But I messed up. Thought I knew what motors they used on the Riptide and I was wrong. Motors won’t mount. Way to small. So I guess I’ll wait on RideRipTide to restock thier inventory. I’d rather not spend money on those cheap molded mounts they use on this thing.

I’d almost rather just buy a used/on sale set of motors (63??) . If I’m gonna put any money into this thing it will be an upgrade. I’m not just fixing things I wasn’t happy with from the get go. *guess I would need to figure out what Would run safely on it’s current speed control.

1 Like

Then again I could put the focbox on here lol. I’d have to get new ones for the hummie deck… Just buring money

Fairly sure this is what that board uses with 5055 270kv motors on 6s2p http://www.diyeboard.com/v11-dual-belt-motor-sine-wave-foc-esc-speed-controller-p-522.html Would be great to toss in a 10s2p, & upgrade motors still using this esc

Ride Riptide customer service is absolute crap. They can’t honor their warranty because they don’t have the part available even though the same rear truck they use is not only on eBay but multiple other cheap DIY sites. And they say I’ll completely void my warranty if I use any parts other than what they send me. They also can’t give me an estimation on when they will actually have new parts in… So these guys expect my to push my board like some caveman in this heat…bull $h!+

2 Likes

So i got rear ended on my way between job sites today. Drunk guy just took off… So with my half a$$ auto insurance I’ll probably have to spend my esk8 savings to fix this thing. None of this would have happened if I was on my board. Thanks Ride riptide… I was a few days away from ordering a battery… the last piece. Ugh

2 Likes

Man, usually Ride Riptide has a good support. I had an amazing experience with them. As far I know they’re upgrading few parts (like the battery) so wait a bit :slight_smile: I know sucks. If you’re in a rush diyeboards sells them for a very affordable price. .

1 Like

Yeah, I’d rather not spend money on a part I don’t trust. I’ve talked to ten plus people in the last few weeks that all had the same problem. Trying to put all funds into hummie deck build. But looks like I’ll be using said funds on the family rig. (Second time in three months I’ve driven to work) Plus my back is starting to hurt. So I’m sure that’s going to cost me. Looks like I’ll be putting both boards on hold. Hopefully won’t have to sell parts I’ve been holding on to. Back feels like I might be missing some work

That sucks man! I wish you the best. Don’t sell parts if you can :wink:

1 Like

Last resort only

I Called that, my auto insurance isn’t going to do anything about fixing my rig. Looks like illl be missing work for at least a week too… I blame riptide. Lol

Jesus Christ can you not report it as a hit and run? It’s usually fairly obvious when damage was from another car.

1 Like

I did. Insurance is basically giving me the runaround. Telling me to wait and see what the police find out… I guess that’s what you get when you pay the lowest dollar insurance possible

Meh don’t beat yourself up for profit mandatory insurance is the worst. It’s a cancer on this earth and one of the drives that pushed me to eskate’s.

1 Like

I literally Bike and Skate everywhere it was the second time in over 3 months I’ve driven the car for any reason

Heard back from Riptide today after sending them an angry email. they should have Replacements in stock this week. So yea On a brighter note it looks like I’ll still be able to get a battery ordered for the hummie deck. Just going smaller than I thought. But should be fine for first build. Was shooting for 10s7p/12s6, but I’m just gonna go with around 50 cells and keep it a flatpack. So 10s5 or 12s4. I probably won’t make my mind until I send payment lol. And even better I’m going back to work tonight. Got a whole day off. (After 68 in a row)

1 Like

Well they finally have the part I need back in stock now I just got to wait for shipping. Hopefully I won’t just snap the rear truck again but I’m thinking I probably will. I’ve talked to a few other Riptide users that had the exact same thing happened to them. I just want the board to make it till I’m done with my build.

Parts just showed up. See if I can get it done before work.