Rewinding the R-Spec

Haha! Yeah right, looking forward to that! Actually i painted on some laquer on the windings aswell(and cleaning up loose strands) in a desparate attempt to get another few weeks of use from it, so it would last until a replacement arrived.

Didn’t work, needless to say.

But with it just being thin copper strands, elbowgrease should do the trick.

But now i’m actually having real problems with removing the stator. Tried both heating and freezing it, but no luck hammering it loose. Do you or anyone else have some extra tips/tricks?

Trying to be gentle with it but i’ll probably break something if it doesnt budge soon! Hah!

After having it in the freezer for maybe an hour I used a bit for a socket wrench with the same size as the bearing tube and just took a hammer and whacked it hard until I loosened.

Like this one, don’t remember the exact size i used though:

Will take some force to break the bond, but once it has moved a little it gets easier.

Guess I just need a bigger hammer then. I was using a bolt with a washer in the right size, but using a socket might be somewhat better as well.

We will see over the weekend, it’ll be a make-or-break!

You’ll want to use a glove to get a better grip on the stator as well so it won’t slip in the hand so much.

Oh my fucking lord! I finally got it loose.

I mean, im no pro but damn! That took some serious grunt. I even went out and bought a bigger hammer:

Still hade to use alot of force to get it to start moving. Didnt use a socket but a socket spanner that almost was a tight fit. Clearly it was glued. I did heat it to maybe 200 or 150c, but maybe that wasnt enough? Hard to estimate the actual temp aswell, maybe putting it in the oven for an hour at 300c is better.

But! FUCK YES. Now i understand what you were saying about the wires though… Both ends of the winds start from the inside, covered by the other winds!? How död they make this? Worst case i’ll use the hack saw on one side of the stator.

The story shall continue!

4 Likes

U may want to hack at it but if ur not careful u could unpeal some of the coating on one of the laminations likely on a corner and later could have an easy scrap on the rewinding and a short. Recoating the stator is a pain and ud lose room that could be copper

Yeah, i thougth about that and i didnt really need to use a saw. Sidecutters and pliers and some blisters did the trick instead. Spent about 6½ h removing all the winds. Amazed at how much they stuck together, if i cut a wind at both sides i would get basically a small block of Cooper. The winds were very tangled in each other, even the last one, all clear around and i still couldnt unwind it.

Got some dents in the stator coating from bendng/pulling with the pliers, a bit careless but probably OK. The centers for the winds all have intact coatings on all corners.

Well i tried to do the LRK wind but then saw that it will not fit. There is only round 4-5 mm from the top of the stator to the arms of the magnet bell, my windings ended up something like 6 mm. There is more room under the stator at around 12 mm. Might be possible but hell no for me, the first 15 laps were the easiest anyway!

The first 20something laps i got pretty nice but then i just could not keep it very neat any more. Will try the dlrk instead.

Bummer. Maybe u could just flatten the top to 4-5mm somehow and it’d work.

Was worth a try though! oh yea, make sure you have enough slack on the wires crossing the center gap when going from one side to the other, if they cross too close to the hole they’ll get jammed between the stator and the end piece when you press them together again.

Yeah maybe, or if someone with some winding skills did it they could minimize the height and spread it out some more… But tio much of a gamble for me.

Yeah i had some slack there though it’s not really showing.