Recording data from VESC? Summary of tools

I ran the sample code by RollingGecko, and it’s not receiving any data from the VESC. Could it be a hardware issue? Btw I can pull data using hc05 Bluetooth module over uart with the VSC Monitor app. So maybe my arduino’s serial port isn’t working or not supported? In the VescUart.h file, there’s only “avr atmega2560” and “avr nano” (I have the atmega328p).

Some updates on this topic.

The Solarturtle VESC Monitor App for Android available in the Play Store has been updated. The new version now allows to configure the visible elements and you can switch logging on or off. It also includes some bug fixes. Works fine with the cheap HC-05 board. Logging is also working for me but I haven’t tested this extensively (it’s raining cats and dogs). Biggest drawback with logging is the absences of any time stamps and sampling rate is unknown too. So while you can analyze the logging data using e.g. Excel you can’t correlate it properly to your ride.

The app mentions a web site to donate via PayPal. www.vesc-monitor.de I’ve donated some $ and sent a notification to the developer with a link to this post here. Maybe he will join us :blush:

In my opinion this app is the easiest way to get real time VESC data on android, even though it lacks some advanced features. And some time stamps would be nice :heart_eyes:

I’ve also managed to compile the Traction app under Windows. It also connects to my HC-05 and shows data. As @makevoid mentioned, the app looks very promising but needs some tweaking. Biggest drawback is the lack of configuration in the app itself. You need to configure it in your development environment and then re-compile it. So not an easy win for most people but a good starting point for somebody who wants to develop a nice app. Need to do some further tweaking and testing myself but needs a lot of time as the dev environment has to be set up properly.

I wasn’t successful either in connecting Jacobs VESC Connect app to my HC-05. Looks like this app does expect a Bluetooth Low Energy devices. Waiting for my HM-10 … The app has similar functionality as the BLDC tool with the ability to change the VESC settings. So great for those who want to adjust their settings while on the road.

Haven’t tested the @evoheyax app yet but looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Hey @PB1 , I too have compiled Traction and have it on my phone. I am also working on porting the vedder esc monitor android app to iOS using google’s j2objc. Any thoughts on this?

Actually: not many thoughts on this … as I’m an Android person :wink:

However, did you get the vedder esc monitor apps source code or did the guy even make it open source?

Regarding Traction, did you manage to display all of the data or just compile it?

I converted the apk to java files. Now just trying to figure out j2objc. I only have the battery voltage working. I think I will wait for the author to complete it because I don’t know how to code haha

ok, maybe you should contact the developer of the vesc monitor app for the source files. The email address mentioned in the google play store is solarninjaturtle (at) gmail.com . You will still need to code the iOS specific part, e.g. User Interface. So some coding will be needed, a good start if you want to learn …

Not sure if the author of the Traction app is still working on it, the latest updates are from Nov 2015.

Btw, I’m no programmer either, haha

@PB1 I guess I will have a go, maybe I can use cydia and install a java simulator on my phone.

Id love to have it. Got the wemos at home here lol.

Hi, could you please send me a link to this code? Are you using the RollingGecko lib? i cant get UART between the vesc and the esp8266 to work. the command to request the data is sent to the vesc as shown on the oscilloscope. but the vesc is not responding.

i am on FW3.26 and the RollingGecko lib seems not working anymore for the new UART Interface. I also tried the version from the vesc 6 branch, which seems to be compatible to the new interface, but i cant find the source code from vesc FW3.26 to verify the protocol version used.

is your sketch working for FW3.26?

thanks in advance,

drew