Recommendations for Hub Motors?

LiFePo 26650 cells can draw about 60 Amps continious.

Yea, are you referring to one of the companies I mentioned?

like @Lukas said: They use a different type of cell. LG or Samsung Liion cells are typically rated at 20A per cell - an A123 Lifepo however is rated at 70A per cell. https://eu.nkon.nl/a123-systems-anr26650m1b-a-grade-3-3v-a-grade.html

Inboard is definitely using a 12S1P Li-Ion 18650 pack. Their battery manufacturer showed them at an event.

Which is why they are totally underspecced. Don’t get me wrong: It will work - just not for long as your cells are taxed heavily that way.

Yeah… Maybe @Mellow uses a different pack?

I currently have a A123 pack right now. Should I just keep using that for dual hubs?

You could either use the A123 or go with some Sony Liion cells that are rated at 30A per cell - in a 2P configuration that would give you the equivalent of a 3P Samsung pack. Voltage on the A123 is different to Liion however as Lifepo has a nominal voltage of 3.3V instead of 3.6V.

Yeah 12S LiFePO4 is like using a 10S lithium pack.

I think people changing from 2.0 to 2.5 are not reterminating or even rewinding and instead putting on a new stator.
I’m pretty sure u can reterminate the motor without opening it up though if the motor leads are an extension of the multistrand magnet wire by going strand by strand and finding circuits with a battery and led and then making a wye bundle outside and soldering it all together. I’ve never done it but think it’s doable. A lot easier than a rewind.

1 Like

I have a Carvon single V2 and V2.5. The V2.5 is awesome. Worth every penny and built very well. Even if you had hills, it wouldn’t be a problem.

If you don’t mind me asking, how much do you weigh?

Also what voltage are you running at? 12S?

Sorry I worded that wrong lol. By converting I meant I sent them over to @LEVer to work his magic. :slight_smile:

I weigh 135 and I’m running a 10S. The SpaceCell3 to be exact. You should be fine at 170. My kid weighs around 30 and we stand on the board together with backpacks. It goes up hills without issue.

@Hummie

So you are only selling the all steel version for $400? You mentioned that everything is steel now.

DNothin like those rediculous prices. I don’t think I ever sold a set for that.

If u search for the" best hub motors cheaper than anywhere " thread It says what’s being made now. Not 80x56 wheel but 80x101 coming! Crazy rollers. Bigger bearings and on and on. 150% the power of the two smaller was selling before in the one. Run one solo

300 with extra tires and a pair of Paris v2 trucks

Oh okay

Wouldn’t that make turning weird with having one super wide wheel and one regular wheel in the back?

We will see! I don’t think it will affect things negatively and it’ll more so just be getting used to it. It’ll stick out 45mm on one side. I’ll do front wheel drive.
If it ends up weird I could put it further along the axle and under the board by lathing down the hanger more and adding more threading on the axle but then won’t fit on a drop thru maybe so rather do it this way.

Thanks for tagging us, Jake. Our partner Battery Kutter has 20 years of experience in custom packs. The last (looking to be our final) iteration we’ve designed together uses Samsung INR 18650-20R cells in 7s2p.

1 Like