Recommend me a 3d printer for eskating purposes

I have been wanting a 3d printer since I saw one at the university almost 25 years ago. It seems the technology is a lot more mature and affordable and the time has come to start thinking about getting one. So what do you guys use to print gears, belt covers, wheels, enclosures etc? I would like the printer to be able to work with nylon as this seems to be the preferred material for gears (correct me if I am wrong). Budget is open for discussion depending on what is required to be able to print this stuff. Finally the printer preferably must be available in the EU as otherwise I will get raped in import taxes.

A lot of peeps use cr-10, I personally brought a tevo tarantula to see if I really will use it much and honestly I haven’t used it a whole lot but I haven’t had much time either. It’s not hard to assemble like some say and I’m only 16.

The main problem I’ve had is filament getting stuck in the tube, i think the extruded gear is too tight and making burrs on the filament. The other problem is that the bed isn’t glass meaning it doesn’t always stick well. Apart from that’s its great, not sure how well it will work with nylon though, you might have to upgrade the nozzle

If you have some money to spend you can consider the ultimaker, its a dutch 3d printer fabricant and it is pretty premium

Ender 3 - Relatively new and has an Aluminium Frame and only costs around ~200$. Oh and the printing size is huge for this price: 220 x 220 x 250mm

3 Likes

Prusa i3 mk3!

5 Likes

I started before eSk8ing with 3d printing. I personally have a cr10S with few upgrades where I think it needs to be improved and I am 100% happy with it. I think still now after 3 years that I have it, in the same price range is a great deal. Now there is the new ender 3 from creality that has an aluminium frame (non that common for printer in the same price range), but to be honest I didn’t check the review on that yet. Otherwise with a similar printing size the anycubic I3 mega is good one. For esk8 you need PLA (everyone does), ABS (you will need to make an encosure, I did it and than you cna print it fine) and PETG. he later the best material to me since share the properties of ABS and PLA. Termo resistence as ABS, but rather easier to print as PLA. Plus you can play with the fan speed to improved the layer adhesion and make pieces rock solid. On top of that it is more flexible than ABS so even if a unique pieces is able to better absorb vibration. So my advice is look for a printer that it’s able to print PETG and you will be fine, since most of the esk8 parts are not goona be piece of art but functional designs. Ah yeh, being able to print nylon would also be worth it. I have seen people print Nylon with cr10 after some modification due to the high printing temperature. Personally i have never try it.

EDIT: I watched the review of the ender3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Z-9ncYsps I looks really nice. Major upgrade is the 24V heated bad. To me for 200$ it’s a steal.

3 Likes

I own a prusa i3 and can say it’s awesome, perfect print quality for less then 1000 euro/dollars

3 Likes

Another prusa i3 lover here, I’m printing the parts for my mk2.5 upgrade as I write this. If you have the money to spend, get the mk3. The removable magnetic bed alone makes getting prints out much easier. Add all the other features like sensing and correcting print missteps, filament sensor and more makes it a huge value for money (though I’ve heard great things about the cr-10 too).

1 Like

Thanks guys. The Ultimaker seems to cost more than I am prepared to spend right now. The Ender 3 looks like an amazing value and the Prusa i3 mk3 is an established machine. Keep the ideas coming.:smiley:

cheaper and easier just to order stuff made from people/ 3dhubs especially if your only going to use it for eskate

True. However once you have this tool the possibilities are endless. I am sure I will find many more applications.

3 Likes

Maybe 3dhubs are cheaper for you but without shipping the rims I needed printed for my board were 250 USD

If you order like 10pcs the price drops a lot But yea if your going to print stuff for hobby or something its cool to have one

1 Like

I do lol… for 250 i said fuck tht

1 Like

A tip. Start using cad software now so when you get the printer you are good at using it. I like fusion 360, super easy

1 Like

Thanks. I work with Autocad (2D mostly) due to my work but know a bit of Solidworks. I will probably end up using Fusion 360 as it seems it is very popular (and free :smiley:)

1 Like

For cnc machining this does apply, but its not entirely correct for 3D printing as it doesnt really scale in the same way as cnc/injection molding.

They are expensive, but it hands down the best 3d printer I’ve ever used. Ive got a mini Ive been running almost constantly for 3 months now.

3 Likes

Lulzbot are great - totally open source. But if you’re in the EU prusa is the way to go.

2 Likes

I also learnt Fusion 360. Nice and friendly

1 Like