Re-building Loaded Vanguard with Bamboo/Fibreglass/Carbon

icarus is probably not the easiest board to electrify. its a very thin deck and the mountable area is really small. its probably really hard to do split enclosures on the deck. but killing the flex of the icarus makes the deck nearly pointless. maybe slitted one piece enclosures like @trampa showed in their official trampa build thread are a possibility for the icarus.

about the inserts: testdrill holes in some random piece of wood - it may not be too small so that the wood splits, but also not too wide that the insert is too loose. use some epoxy glue, drip one drop into the drilled hole, use a torx or allen screw + washer screwed into the insert and drill in the inserts with that screw and a well fitting electric drill bit.

i got one post about inserts in my latest trampa build thread: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/segmented-carbon-flex-enclosure-for-trampa-urban-carver/20067/32?u=whitepony

Thanks ! Would you say the usable space is smaller than the flex3 vanguard ? Did you ever try mounting an 6374 underneath (mby with kegels) ? Well, I’ll check once it arrives if I can mount my 10s4p enclosures there. I might just send it back if its too hard to electrify.

Thats what I’ve been doing ! Maybe my senses are crooked which is leading to crooked holes… :sweat_smile: Taking note of the epoxy glue drip tho. These inserts tend to unscrew with the screw all the time.

[quote=“TranxFu, post:142, topic:10460”] Thanks ! Would you say the usable space is smaller than the flex3 vanguard ?[/quote]

dunno, never had a flex3 vanguard!

i only mounted stuff underneath a deck in all my builds (for stealth) - in theory there isnt a problem, but it reduces the space for your enclosure.

edit: took a picture of my current decks, underneath the icarus is my flex2 vanguard!

2 Likes

Thanks a ton for the photo Simon ! :wink: Have an better idea how it compares to the vanguard now. My enclosures might just make it if I design them a bit shorter since I’ve cut my vanguard down to flex3 size.

Which flex are you using for the icarus ?

ps: that custom deck looks so sweet :smile:

you know im a softie, so of course flex 2 :wink:

seems like the new motor from @fottaz got an issue now after about 500km. the shell with the magnets got loose off its baseplate - can see that in the foto by looking at the lack of an airgap at pulleyside and the small gap between baseplate and magnet shell:

luckily I had an 6374sk3 in my treasure box, silicone wire modded it and set up new foc detection - works likea charme. should probably stick to those. my sk3 168kv was the best motor I ran so far. :slight_smile:

board is holding up so well, been riding 20km every day since weeks now, even through rain. the enclosures sealed with neoprene tape between lid and board are really more than just splash proof. ran through really wet roads one day, so much spray that got me completely soaked … but the electronics were completely dry!

5 Likes

That’s no good!! Please, send me PM with some pics and a video if possible. Thanks

1 Like

Did this result in the magnets scraping internally?

I had this happen on 2 motors as well. Went with SK3’s after that. Has your 168kv failed on you?

nope, the shell is still trapped between motor pulley side and the shell base plate, so it cant really wiggle around. its scraping on the motor pulley side though, so its making scary noises.

my 168KV sk3 is still running fine on my tesseract build that I sold a while ago. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im not sure what my vesc did differently, but the FOC parameters on my 190kv 6374SK3 seem to be MUCH better compared to my 168KV 6374 back then on my vanguard. the motor is MUCH more silent under heavy load and particularly at high rpms where I had some form of screaming sound once rpms were close to top speed. its one of the smoothest, strongest and most silent motors I ever used so far, really a game changer for the board, because it was lacking some torque with the 6355 230KV motor. also the startup is extremely smooth. on most motors, they have issues to start up without load with the board on the bench. the sk3 just starts up right away and the slightest remote signal.

must say, Im super happy with the sk3. :heart_eyes:

p.s.: they are actually available @ hobbyking eu right now woah, thats pretty rare! :fearful:

Do you mean the 192kv one? Actual 190kv are only available in the UK and global warehouse - but is there even an actual difference between those two motors?

yea, https://hobbyking.com/de_de/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-6374-192kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

78€ with hobbyking gold status :blush:

I guess thats the new 190kv? i ordered two anyway - one for my vanguard to get rid of the weak 6355 HEV and one backup :slight_smile:

Would two of those motors be overkill?

Only one way to find out :smiling_imp:

today on my way to work :sob:

2 Likes

Well that’s scary, hope you’re ok.

:fearful: Www :scream: whaaat !!!

How that happened, not at speed I hope ! Mount hurt something ?

(Goldenrider made them in titan or other strong steal… )

Sk3 want to mutch ?! :cold_sweat:

Good luck WP

it was kinda funny how it happened - carved down this pretty rough tiled sidewalk with in ear phones, suddenly the board brakes really hard as if i dragged a big stone with me, then it was fine again, then suddenly again heavy braking and scraping, then it stopped again, but I wanted to check anyway and stopped. turns out the motor made it through the truck somehow and was finally dangling on its phase wires behind the board on the road.

its crazy how I didnt notice whats going on due to my headphones.

the mount just broke though, no impact, nothing. just rough sidewalk and heavy sk6374y :neutral_face:

3 Likes

The mount design seems quite extreme in its material saving. :wink: Was not ready for your abuse level.

Truly beatiful builds. I am inspired! :smiley:

Glad you are OK WP!

Could’ve been a lot worse! Which mount is that?

Look forward to seeing new version - i’m sure it’ll be gorgeous like all that you build!!!