[Raptor Dual] One motor starts breaking. (short in windings) Solution found

Mail them a kind reminder, they have always replied me… He even came to the topic this time :wink:

Do you know who got the motors that have this problem? Just want to check before taking any remedial steps.

I would say batch 1 and 2 from the raptors. You could check your stator for excessive copper wire exposed

Thanks Skitzor. How do I tell if it’s excessive or not?

That’s excessive

and not excessive would mean there’s no winding at the top?

Till this day I don’t know how a motor works. And how it “shorts” to tell you the truth. I’ve made longer shrink tubing on 2 of the 3 leads and seems to have fixed it because on the bench I can wiggle where the 3 wires meet by the aluminum can and it doesn’t short anymore so I’m assuming it has fixed it. The funny thing is that if you touch any of the phase wires on its end, the motor will be hard to turn. But seeing those phase wires within the motor are already touching each other and don’t seem to have that effect. Strange indeed.

@guyguy, exactly, they should be insulated all the way to where they enter the copper coils. (in other words, as far as you could push the shrink tubing till the end)

@c4Lvin The copper inside is treated with some enamel (which insulates the bare copper) but due to the vibrations they have to withstand, this rubs off and makes the copper short. Exactly the same way as you would short the bullet connectors a the end. If this happens at full speed when you hit a bump, bad things could (read: will) happen. Hope this explains it a little for you.

1 Like

They are coated in enamel and it insulates, but you really don’t want the separate phases resting on each other or rubbing on the housing. Ideally they would be fixed in place with epoxy at the factory, at least that is what you would want to see in a quality motor.

3 Likes

If you would ship to europe without import duties I’ll gladly check ur motors out. I’ve already paid a total of 500 euros in import duties, just to get my raptor up to spec. Still having the issue with the batteries. So don’t tell me I’m cheap for asking it :smiley:

Thanks guys. I didn’t do the 3rd one because it was the one that was the longest to wrap around.

Anyone know what size circlips go on the motor shaft or have a link where I can buy more? I broke one taking it off the board when I was trying to take a peek @ the windings.

Thanks!!