Raptor 2 hub or TB Direct Drive(DD) or SwissBoards DD

lol nice choice of words.

7 Likes

The only similarity Iā€™m seeing so that the trucks axels are stepped down, but not really in the same place or style.

1 Like

This is from the elofty page:

" It has four V4 Speed Drive R motors "

Isnā€™t that carvon language? Are they using carvon motors?

Most likely, they just copy other peopleā€™s product descriptions lol. :laughing:

6 Likes

They have lofty ambitions. Hence the name "Shenzhen Lofty Ambition Technology Co., Ltd. ". Lol

8 Likes

Closer look ya they arenā€™t close hah. Its a DD uprisingā€¦ DD everywhereā€¦

1 Like

Their complete also look ā€œinspiredā€ by evolve.

75kvā€¦ 18mphā€¦ very inefficient motor? :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

No, they are just talking about 36v most likelyā€¦ We are the only ones who run 10s and 12s. A lot of the china stuff runs at 36v.

2 Likes

I saw in his thread he was talking about changing his manufacturing facility. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if his old factory started just selling their own drives retail direct.

He always has a nice choice of words. There are 2 guys on here that regularly crack me up. One is lhb and the other is old Brent here.
Looks like the chinese are getting on the bandwagon then? Didnā€™t think it would be long. All we have to do now is weed out the shit from the mediocre.

3 Likes

If they lead to lower DD prices overall, im sold

1 Like

Indeed. Iā€™ve tried to build one before and the axle is definitely a thing to consider. Modifying an existing motor requires a lot more modification, which at the end you might as well just rebuild the truck/axle/motor just for stable performance. In this case it actually cost a lot less than retrofitting a hub to a hanger.

1 Like

The issue is that high quality parts are not cheap. For example, to even get any break on magnets, you need to order over 10000 magnets at once. At around $2 per magnet, you need serious bucks to drop on them, and even then, the discount is not that great. Same with other parts. You really need like 100k usd to drop if you want to get to a price point where they can get a little bit cheaper.

To some degree, the reason you pay less is your getting less. n48sh magnets are not cheap. But lower it to an n42sh and the prices are much better. The result is a weaker magnet, which ultimantly will mean a weaker motor thatā€™s more prone to overheating. To some degree, these are the kinds of changes they make. They might use regular motor wire instead of high heat motor wire also, which would save a few bucks per motor, but the enamel will break down quicker, which will result in a short, especially if you get them hot frequently (lets face it, all hub/dd motors get a bit hot).

The saying is very much true stillā€¦ You get what you pay for. It still costs hummie around $200 per motor in raw parts, no assembly factored in. But youā€™ll get the second best magnets on the market, 100% steel construction, NSK high heat bearings, high heat motor wire, magnets glued with specific magnet epoxy, motor windingā€™s dipped in specific motor winding epoxy engineered and produced in the USA, and more.

These pieces are not cheap, and add cost to the motor. But they ensure magnets wonā€™t break, the windingā€™s wonā€™t vibrate and short, and the epoxy doesnā€™t trap the heat in in the windings And even if the motor did for some reason get hot, everything can do 300 F before you could see any permanent damage.

You will never find a 2x motors like this for less than $500 (except hummie), because the profit margin would just be too low for any business. But again, you get what you pay forā€¦ Just remember, buy cheap, buy twice. Good parts last a life time. Cheap parts are just dangerous IMO.

5 Likes

If you factor in the US wage. Especially that SF wage. Those drives would be $1000

7 Likes

Iā€™m trying to cut out labor because itā€™s can be done cheaply if you can make the effort to be there in china (look at the raptor 2 for example). But parts wise, high quality parts cost a lot, even in large bulk. Look at how much the bearings hummies using now cost. They cost as much as some hub motors costā€¦ Great bearings though.

1 Like

I donā€™t have a bit of a doubt that @hummie paid $200 per motor in parts, but how is it that the price at which the vendors buy 6374 is around ~40-60 dollars(alibaba prices)? Would high-heat epoxy and better magnets add so much? I have a feeling there is something else missing from the equation. Is it negotiation, finding the right factory/parts distributor?

Pay low prices, get low quality. I wouldnā€™t use Alibaba as a reference for prices on quality parts.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a break down:

Cheap motor: n42sh - $4 per motor Expensive motor: n48sh - $16 per motor

Cheap motor: regular epoxy for winding - $1 Expensive motor: Scientifically formulated in labs for electric vehicle motor windingā€™s - $20

Cheap motor: regular epoxy - $1 Expensive motor: specific high heat magnet epoxy: $10

Cheap motor: Aluminum machined parts - $10 Expensive motor: Steel machined parts - $20

I could go on and onā€¦ Having all the tools to machine these parts in house with super cheap labor also helps. But these are the ways you can make a motor that still works, for some period of time. But they are not built to last.

5 Likes

Volume and compromise on each part.

4 Likes