Raptor 2 hub or TB Direct Drive(DD) or SwissBoards DD

Take a look at @JayKay e trucks, they use a magnet less design, don’t remember if is reluctance, I think not since it’s really hard to get it right and also the control is different, if you connect a reluctance motor to the VESC it would not work or at least not properly

The life of gears depends on the type of gear and how it is protected. They can last a long time or very short periods of time. Friction and debris are your enemy. So lube and sealing it off are the first steps to a longer gear life, as well as the gears angles.

The jaykay thing must be tiny power with its tiny airgap diameter and also no magnets.

Magnets are good. Embrace the magnet. @torqueboards has with maybe the thickest steel behind thrm and bet helps. The downside to magnets is the eddy current and hysteresis they produce creating inefficiency and even drag when powered or even unpowered while they spin around. If the magnets were much smaller and all arranged in a hallbach can keep the mag field completely out of the steel rotor n make better motor that way as less losses and heat produced in rotor and magnets and easier coasting. I haven’t seen ever a top potential magnet bldc outrunner. Rectangular wire with a stator designed for specific wire and turn count for full copper fill with maybe a cobalt stator and even .15mm laminations at least and the hallbach. There’s still room to improve theses motors while staying within their volume. You could even get lighter w the hallbach n removing all steel behind the magnets, if you wanted to make the effort. But I think the easiest things to improve their already made motor would be to press another layer of steel cylinder behind the magnets, or gluing some thin shim magnets between the rotor magnets making somewhat of a hallbach. If u could acetone or bake and remove the magnets and build it from a start even better. And get stronger magnets with high heat ability.

1 Like

I’m late to the party. You kinda got it backwards (no offense) : the sides are got because that’s where heat is diffused, which means it is literally trapped inside the can and doesn’t filtrate through it. Hence the thermal picture

I can feel the salt in this thread lol.

1 Like

what i meant is that we should cool through the sides. As pointed out somewhere in this thread, making holes in the can might make the heat diffuse, but you have water/debris coming in, which make is not worth it.

To fix that you would need a design like @LEVer 's where they cool through the sides. see for yourself

none taken, i was wrong in the details, but my point still stands I would love to see the OP of that thread (sadly he is inactive nowadays) do some more thermal images, and maybe open up the motors to see inside and double check the heat sources, and bring it from a theory, to reality.

Lastly, @stormboard1 should retitle as DD comparison, because there are so many at this point… its gonna be an interesting one :grin:

1 Like

I’d like to see it too! Another way is using a full closed motor, ferrofluid inside and patch fans around the can. Ferrofluid will create a thermal patch to draw heat out from stator toward rotor ; fans will cool down the can and protect the magnets. Double win.

Meanwhile you guys got me back to playin’ with motors and bearings instead of sleepin’ :sob:

Literally had to replicate exactly my tiny motors, started a long resizing process haha :beers:

I’ll sleep tomorrow :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Nice idea!

I dont want to point the obvious but the ferrofluid could leak, etc. Is there any protections against this?

(also want to apologize, i tagged you thinking you were OP of the thermal’s thread. After i realized, i changed short after)

1 Like

Also will make the motor much much heavier.

There is also active cooling like liquid cooling, I’m a mechanic and a nerd so I have experience with cars and liquid cooling my over clocked PC. Problem is building a system compact and robust enough for a longboard.

Because of the nature and space of longboards I don’t think liquid cooling is viable.

Best thing imo is to use larger motors my 4wd 6374 barely get warm even after 5 miles of riding on grass and gravel. but I can get my 2wd set ups pretty hot on on the road.

5 Likes

Any type of water cooling comes with its cons, even PC cooling. Good to know im not the only #PCMasterRace person here :smiley:

oh god the fear of the water going through my mobo is… argh

2 Likes

easy use 1/2" fittings and 7/16" ID hose its slightly smaller than the 1/2 fittings but once its on it wont ever come off you will have to cut it off.

my home server is water cooled mostly cause its much quieter but its been on since 2009 and i have had almost 0 maintenance i just have to add a bit of distilled water and a few drops of biocide once a year.

2 Likes

So many ladies squatting in the sand here, it’s excellent!

4 Likes

A big problem with water cooling is it is adding fail points. pumps ect. Also how to protect the radiator?

2 Likes

I’m too lazy to stuff my PC with paper towels, espicy in a s4 mini, I literally have to disassemble a old fractal design aio to fit water cooling in a s4 mini, sadly CPU only build

Why not use 5/8 tubbing it’s the standard in us

This patent stuff stops things from evolving tho. I started improving the cooling of the stock hanger but I don’t want legal problems so I won’t sell them or make further improvements. This is allready good enough to keep the motors a lot cooler when running on 12S. Is that really good for the community?

IMG_20181225_135411

17 Likes

By having this already, it could void their patent application.

2 Likes

Yeah. Intel is also voiding it having coolers on their cpu’s :joy:

4 Likes

Perhaps , though the patent seems to have been submitted since last year though

I hope @onloop have bigger fish to catch. I’ll make whatever I want for myself anyways :slight_smile:

My point tho is that we as a community could have improved it a lot and everyone would be a winner. With patents and ip just like the phone business it’s ruining the community working together.

I don’t think the patent will go trough as it’s not new invention to add cooling fins to something to add surface area to air cool things. This is done in differentials, autoboxes, CPU coolers and whatnot. It’s like putting a wheel on something that didn’t have it before and patent that it’s rolling.

Just look at the vesc6 and how @trampa is trying to kill all development there with his lawsuits. This is not good at all for our diy community.

13 Likes

Seems really nice, CNC’D??