Raptor 2 Custom hanger for better cooling

@Minim

Do you know the size of axles I’ll need for the R2 hanger off the top of your head or where to get them by chance? I’m not at home now and just thought about it. My only calipers are at work. I should order some from somewhere asap if I want to get this 4wd R2 going anytime soon.

No, looking into this myself. You want 12.9 for sure. I’ll measure mine tomorrow and give the specs here. The threads that goes into the hanger is M8x1.25 and they are roughly 15mm long if I recall correctly. Then the axle itself is 8mm and if I where to guess 60mm long stickout. Don’t order anything by those numbers tho as I need to measure them to be sure.

1 Like

I did a quick mock up. More like this? 06%20PM

10 Likes

I like it. But that takes away a ton of ground clearance from what I can see. Might get beat up pretty quick don’t ya think? Wouldn’t it be better to keep the circular aspect board side and have it still cut out roadside?

Yea less clearandw but if it were just beside the motor that wide and then went rectanglar n tapered be nice

1 Like

Yeah maybe so but not that much different than Carvon. I would rather beat up the truck than the motors.

Oh like a cone shape into the center, yeah that’s pretty sick! 31%20PM

8 Likes

But sharper taper n tapering into the rectangular shape

Like those hub wheels from China only the tapered part is on the truck. 01%20PM

3 Likes

I was wondering why not that above more like lathe work, wire channels still needed tho

And on the end you could do an inverse of the slots on the motor so they interface there too, the thermal paste is a good idea too

There you go, just lathe out the end piece to fit on the end of the truck like a motor mount then bore a hole for the wire. 09%20PM34%20PM

10 Likes

I love those ideas! Especially the modular part there. It will be a very long axle tho… I think it should be fixed with another system to the center of the hanger so stock axle can be used. Looks great with added surface to :slight_smile:

1 Like

then you’d be riding on an even longer axle. a lot of leverage on an 8mm axle. i thought you could do the coning at the end of the hanger, still just one piece. but just a thought. i wont be buying them but it would be a cool engineering challenge to get the fit just right and see how well it could transfer heat.

That is clever & a judicious use of alloy stock with little waste

Raptor 2 Dumbbells®️

Re-read, yeah great idea, slides onto stock hanger, little waste, fabrication time minimised

3 Likes

Is it not the case that the hanger profile run most of the way through the dumbell, internally only about the width of a traditional hanger mount taking the load & transferring that onlt it’s own square profile at the end, stock axle can’t allow for say an extra 8-10mm?

Yes the dumbbell part slips over most of the hanger adding only a few mm per side. Just use a shorter hanger to accommodate. Sorry this is probably a more accurate render: 16%20AM Hummbells®?

3 Likes

I think that is to little heat sink. The whole hanger hit like 50-60 degrees when riding so it transfers to it and all the area on the hanger is good for transferring it from the alu to air again. Reducing it to only out at the wheels will most likely (guessing here) make things worse again.

1 Like

So maybe combine with the hanger you have going?

The idea is great for meeting with the hub yeah. But extending the axle will be a problem I think. There have been many cases of the 12.9 (equivalent) stock raptor axle breaking/bending and extending it won’t exactly help.

Extending the current acle by 40mm up to 220mm “equivalent”. Wonder how this thing is gonna ride. The contours shows how much it’s extended by. Also increased the height so it goes all the way up on the motor. I didn’t make it round yet just to keep it simple to machine. Round will happen once we settle on a design :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes