Raptor 2 Custom hanger for better cooling

Did we descide on a width for the extended version?

nope. id like to know what other baseplates match as well.

I use them on some random noname baseplate I had lying around. Ill check dimmensions later. Is it the distance from center of kingpin to end of pivot thingie and then lenght/diameter of the pivot thingie you need?

dont bother for me thanks. i dont remember the details on the measurement and just know what i use works with paris v2. Id like to know what baseplates are compatible with the v2 hanger really

Why did not you make a wider truck? That Enertion truck is too narrow! :anguished: It almost look like one of those used for downhill. While you are at it, why donā€™t you make a larger one, a really wide truck? If you do, youā€™ll take the Raptor to another level. At the moment it looks ridiculously narrow with those beefy wheels. Right now, Raptor looks oddā€¦ and unstable. Why continue with that trend? Come out of the box. Your truck is incredible, but still narrow as the original one. Take a chance and youā€™ll do a killing. :ok_hand::grinning:

2 Likes

Enertionā€™s has same track width as a 180mm truck. To my understanding this is a common width on eboard to? Iā€™m also asking for a width here :slight_smile: Is 200mm wide enough?

1 Like

Anything above 200mm is good. Below that is like you never came from downhill longboarding. Wider trucks are always a must in Electric Skateboarding, because almost always you need to position motors at hangerā€™s ends, on motor mounts, in between axels, not so much in your case because you will use hub motors so distance in between axles is non important, but still the wheels are too close together (and your truck will be too narrow).

Wider trucks are favorites among Esk8ers. Take a look at popular trucks hereā€¦ Torqueboards 218 truck, well, is just that, a 218mm wide truck, not counting their axles; Evolve supercarve truck is about 240mm wide (306mm with the axles); one of the most popular, the SurfRodz, the RKP truck version, it also comes in 200mm wide without the axles. These are all very popular trucks here.

Torqueboards 218

ā€¦you can even fit iside this truck two of the most (if not the most) popular motors in the Esk8 universe, the Turnigy SK3ā€¦

1 Like

With a Wider truck you will gain more highspeed stability. Large trucks are just preferred by esk8er because they can fit our beefy 6374 Motors!

It does Not need to be wider than the Normal one. I have no problems running the r2 at 32 mph with loose trucks. But every one has to decide on their own if they need more stability or just train more.

4 Likes

I just figurd that the trend is towards as narrow trucks as possible. The wider ones are to clear motors that are not a issue here. It can get the deck lower tho since wheelbite wonā€™t be such a big problem. But no problem to make it wider. Iā€™ll try to make the next one 20mm wider so it matches a 200mm wide truck. I fear that making it wider so you need a torquebords truck to match the rear will lock it to just one brand.

3 Likes

maybe you could make the hanger aluminum get wider at the motor for more contact. its super beefy and a great heatsink but surely getting the heat from the motor to it is the bottleneck. if you made the last little bit of the hanger so wide as to contact the whole blue aluminum part i wonder how that would go. Maybe going wider there where they butt would give more support too. i think it would look cool with more of an integration as well. futuristic.

i see it is really wide there already and youā€™d have to go from the rectangular to a round shape to get more contact. seems worth it to me. and of course a bunch of thermal paste between the two and all along the axle inside maybe you could transfer to the steel too.

maybe too big a challenge but with the grooves in the blue part on the motor, if you could have your hanger cut to even get in there that would be awesome for transfer. maybe it would rattle. didnt read the whole thread maybe im doing repeatsimage

2 Likes

Donā€™t be. Here are the lenght measures of wider popular truckā€™s hanger without counting their axle lenghs, and total lenght measures counting their axles:

Torqueboards 218ā€¦ 218mm (plus 94mm axles - 47mm each axle) ā€¦ 312mm Evolve SuperCarveā€¦ 242mm (plus 64mm axles - 32mm each axle) ā€¦ 306mm Surf Rodz 200 RKPā€¦ 200mm (plus 60mm axles - 30mm each axle) ā€¦ 260mm

• SurfRodz using 80mm long axle, 50mm treaded inside truck, leaving 30mm usable axle.
1 Like

Any takers for a equivalent of 200mm wide hanger (20mm wider than stock) if I make one? Would be as above $100 + shipping. I need to hear back from @SeanHacker first tho just to make sure there is no issues that should be addressed since I donā€™t have a raptor to test fit onā€¦

Iā€™ve gotten some miles on my first prototype now on my vacation and I havenā€™t seen any issues yet. All this talk about a wider kinda make me want one myself so I might produce one anyways.

Just a thought hereā€¦ can we split the hanger in 3 pieces so that the center part is similar for all widths and then have swappable ends that can be in various width and with/without rake? I havenā€™t seen it done before so maybe itā€™s just a stupid idea, but with a 30mm wide truck as this I donā€™t see a big issue with the strengthā€¦

@Hummie I tried to maximize it with the stock I had thatā€™s a 100x30mm flat bar. Itā€™s 30mm wide as it is so would need to increase stock size to make it bigger contact area. Not impossible but a lot of material waste when machining. I think I will look into if I can increase the height of it tho since there is more height to go on and maybe fill in the grooves like you suggest.

3 Likes

Once I get the hanger Iā€™ll test it as best I can. We have some unusually hot weather right now (90F and into triple digits this week). Iā€™ll best testing stock setup, then your hanger in a two day session to make it fair. I donā€™t have a thermometer or anything. But Iā€™ll use @Ackmaniacā€™s app to check motor temps. Iā€™d be down for a wider hanger also. Most likely two to match. Just gotta try and convince the fiance to let me spend the money. Iā€™m an esk8 addict and Iā€™m not rich. Lol. :wink:

1 Like

Nice. How do you get the motor temps in the app? I have ordered 10k NTC thermistors that I will install in the motors but I donā€™t have a wire for temp sensor on my hubs from factory. Motor temp is not showing either.

If there ever come a final version of the wider one weā€™ll fix a better price for test pilots like you @SeanHacker :slight_smile: Your making it happen! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too, Iā€™d be down for a wider (200mm or longer) hanger also. But perhaps you may reconsider a new price for two hangersā€¦ $200 will be Ouuucchh!!

Sending a PM in a few min. :wink:

For some reason I thought I remember him saying his app supports motor temp. But I could be wrong as Iā€™ve never checked before. I also thought the R2 wpuld have the sensor wire to support it. If not. Itā€™s just another stupid mistake that Enertion has made. Iā€™ll get more info later on that. If it doesnā€™t. Iā€™ll just go by a cheap thermometer from home depot or something to make sure I get some sort of definitive info.

P.S.- Youā€™re right. No temp sensor wire. For some reason I thought I saw 6 earlier. Fuck. Thermometer it is then.

IMG_20180715_140334

2 Likes

I know itā€™s steep :frowning: Iā€™ll try to work some more on optimizing stuff but Iā€™m struggling with high costs in Norway and since I try to run a business itā€™s not a great idea to sell with a lossā€¦ I ordered new tooling for this project now from GĆ¼hring for $450 so hoping things will speed up :wink:

A front hanger will be a lot cheaper since it doesnā€™t need to be this bulky and have the detailed fins. Not sure if thatā€™s worth it tho since surfrodz already make some dope stuff at the needed width.

Btw, anyone know where to source good 12.9 M8x1.25 axles? Havenā€™t measured but would guess on smt with 60mm stickout and 20mm threads. Similar style to the stock one would be best. Just want to have some to not have to move around on mine all the time ^^

1 Like

You still got lots of area to carve out metal. Carve some more groves on the hanger sides to produce more cooling fins to disipate heatā€¦

IMG_20180715_142023

They will not compromise the hangerā€™s structural integrity. Is still a massive metal piece.

2 Likes

I dont have a picture of it here but the tool im using for the cooling fins now is a 2mm slotting tool that sticks out like 15mm and has a cutting depth of 4mm. In areas like that I canā€™t make it since the tool holder will crash with other parts of the model. There is slotting tool that could make it possible (and quicker) but my tooling supplier wanted my left kidney for it so I skipped it for now :joy: Will have another look at it and see if itā€™s possible to slot some of it since the idea is great!

2 Likes

Well then, the most important thing now is widening the hanger to more than 200mm (between 220mm to 240mm desirable)ā€¦

IMG_20180715_143636

Benefits: more stability, more cooling area and improved heat disipation.