Raptor 2 Custom hanger for better cooling

Yeah I see it. It’s quite of improvement this hanger now :slight_smile: Test it! Does original one have some rake? Yours is zero right?

Was about to say that, put it on the face of the motor and on the axle itself

2 Likes

Will try that on the next one. Hope I’ll be able to adjust slightly and make another one tonight. First one I need to open open the hole around the bushing a bit to allow for some more movement since I think this next one was a lot better at that. Should also add some chamfer to the edges since it’s pretty sharp to hold/grab as it is now.

I still don’t know if it’s worth making for sale since it just is to much machine time but just to gauge interest… Is there any interest in raw prototypes like this without anodizing for $100? Shipping is $19 world wide/$15 Europe.

1 Like

can’t spot any rake on the original. I don’t have any rake on this either but depending on how much is needed there is room to move it some.

$100 for a precision hangar seems about right to me, it may almost be on the cheap side :grinning:

2 Likes

This a very cool project! I’d like to see someone make an extra wide hanger for the raptor.

4 Likes

I’m in. Let me know when to pay if you do make this happen. Thanks dude!

I 2nd @barajabali. Extra wide hangers would be awesome too!

That can prolly be done :slight_smile: How wide? These are adopted for the rear wheels to have same track width as the front ones that’s sitting on a 180mm hanger. Wider would prolly only be better for the cooling so why not.

It’s happening but I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow and I won’t have time to make more before I’m leaving. I’ll let you know when I have another rdy and then we can arrange something. Also I have no clue about forum rules for selling stuff… Do I break any rules here?

Nice. Sounds good to me. No rush. Whenever you have time just let me know. Nope. No rules broken unless you’re doing a group buy here.

1 Like

Sounds good. Not doing a group buy. Will keep testing various design and try to improve and sell the working ones :slight_smile: The first one is to thight on the bushings so I will keep this and mill it out after my vacation for my own use ^^

Been milling and designing all day and got two hangers ready for shipping. Think both is taken tho (sent PM) but I’ll do some more after my vacation and maybe some wider if there is demand for that.

Would be interesting to get some feedback on the current ones tho. They work fine in my baseplate but I don’t have a raptor baseplate to test with…

imageimageimage

10 Likes

took the words out of my mouth :slight_smile: wider hanger please

Nice progression, how much they weight? and the original one? I think that if weight is an issue, you can lower the overall dimensions and make the fins thinner, keeping the surface area, the problem is that if they are to thin any rock will bend them

How much wider should it be? Is 200mm a “usual” size?

I didn’t check. It’s def heavier than the stock ones but alu isn’t that heavy.

The fins are now 2mm wide both spacing and inside. I cut them with a 2mm endmill. I don’t want to go lower than that since it will increase the time by a lot on my old slow machine (don’t have a fancy 30k rpm spindle). The rocks was my main concern also. When I made the fins 3mm deep they will handle less stress from stones and debris. Could always make it thinner between them but isn’t there that much to be gained? Would have to calculate surface area and check.

Another thought I had was to drill many holes that goes straight trough the hanger but since people are running them in different angles that might not work very good.

If everyone want a wider truck that will help increasing the surface area as long as the truck can transfer the heat towards the center. 6061 alu has good heat transfer and from my tests the hanger got even temperature over the whole hanger and that’s promising for a wider model.

1 Like

180mm is usual (exc. axles)

This is made to fit with 180mm front axle. If the front is 180 then the outside of the wheels are at the same width front and back. The rear wheels of the raptor is way wider than stock wheels.

Yeah, I think it wouldn’t change much anyway since the problem is transfer the heat from the windings to the laminations them to the motor axle and last from that to the hanger axle and the hanger itself

Damn that looks good. It would help me cause I always push my.board hard usually the hanger on my Raptor 2 is too hot to touch.

218mm hanger would be cool

2 Likes