Range extender plugged into charge port

yea great idea, I couldn’t find any threads about it so yea I can make one as I build and test.

it’s so hard to fit a huge pack into a board so having an auxilery would be great

1 Like

Yeah something you can take along in a pack when you expect to ride hard or go longer distances.

Would be ideal to have them well enclosed if worst case you wipe out with them connected or on your pack.

Edit: Just remembered there are some lipo bags that could be used for this purpose while carrying it around

1 Like

I don’t think charging while riding is advisable.

I’ve played resource intensive games on my mobile phone while charging and the battery can get pretty hot. I can only imagine how it is like in a bigger scale like esk8s. I’m no expert though so I could be wrong.

Although a “powerbank” for esk8s would be really cool and useful though.

2 Likes

They paved an Old Logging railroad track and turn it into a bike path that goes out around and past a lake just outside of my town. Tons of camping spots out there. Would be great to ride out, stay the night and ride back.

1 Like

can’t be much worse than regenerative braking?

1 Like

Would love to pick a few up once you iron it all out!

I want that 60 cell performance but I dont have space for the deck and vescs :sweat_smile:

1 Like

To be honest, I really don’t know. The idea just popped in my head while reading your comment as I was charging while playing earlier with my phone and how the back panel really got hot. And that’s just using a 5v 1-2amp phone charger. Probably also the reason that’s why nobody has made a thread about doing it.

I hope the experts in the forum can chime in. I so want to be wrong though. Charging while riding could be a game changer. But safety first.

2 Likes

the guys from corridor did it with a onewheel but he’s yet to really do a recap or a review after more testing.

4 Likes

I want a action 360 camera so bad. His friend is terrible…

2 Likes

I don’t know either haha definitely some testing to be done. @amazingdave efficiency testing as well. Ideally the volts would be the same.

is has been done, just no threads on how and if there are problems

a friend found these on an evolve forum 38216645_10156540121272442_783782212410540032_n38412059_10156542091487442_6909721786414268416_n

7 Likes

I’d like to give this a try… My commute to work leaves me with very little headroom on my 10S4P battery, and it would be great to be able to plug in an external battery while I’m riding to keep charged a little more. Anyone that has done this I’d love to hear about your experience.

1 Like

Oh. I can actually offer useful advice here. I’ve done charge and ride both on a onewheel and an eboard multiple times. They use the same hardware, big lipo battery and a boost converter.

Not sure what to say about it though. It works. Better acceleration when the battery is low and charging. Better range. Sits either in your backpack or between your legs. Didn’t notice extra heat or wear, so I’d recommend it fully.

Tried to find pictures, but I guess they were all Instagram stories.

4 Likes

Which boost converter do you use?

The green one on Amazon. Can’t remember the name as I’m at work. but it’s got a screen and let’s you set all the features. Was about $40

We have a couple of these in Sydney and currently on the way to replicate them. The price people pay for these is ridiculous since only about $200-240 in materials is used. Circuit is pretty simple, they use a lipo low voltage indicator too. Here is a quick drawingimage

2 Likes

coooool, good to hear they’re around and working!

Im thinking of building one with some large car batteries to use as portable fast chargers. couple AT boards at a big park, BBQ and riding all day woop woop

I am in between a small pack I can clip to the middle of my board such as this 7S2P that will be enough to get me where I need to go… or if I should just go all in and have the option for this 10S5P with enclosure that I could also strap onto the top of my deck, stuff this thing inside, and basically double my range instead of adding less than a quarter of my current range (1.25x instead of 2x the current watthours) with the 7S… and be able to not only get where I need to go but have waayyyy enough wiggle room to cruise the extra long routes back and forth.

I was originally looking at purchasing a BMS, wire, connectors, cases, a boost converter, individual cells, and DIYing the whole thing, but it looks like I can get a lot more cells with a built in BMS going the pre-made route. This way, all I have to do is connect the pack to a boost converter, program the boost converter, mount it, and plug it in when I want the extra range.

The advantage I saw of putting my own together from scratch was the performance from quality cells. But, the fact that this will just be drawing a relatively small continuous current, and not directly affecting the boards performance… only supplementing it, I don’t really care about having super high quality cells… only capacity.

I would really really love to supplement my current 10S4P with a 10S5P battery to charge while riding. I wonder how close this would be to basically having a 10S8P or 10S9P battery- hopefully somewhat comparable for range, but im going to assume surely not alike for pure amp draw potential of a 10S9P.

I am sold now. Picked up the boost converter, a range of high voltage fuses with various amp ratings and fuse holders…

Hesitant to order batteries from China, I checked out Lowe’s. I didn’t expect to find much in terms of price competitiveness, but the portable power tool batteries are actually priced equal to or better than the Chinese batteries per watt hour!

20180815_10322620180815_103245

Two of these batteries comes out to 192 watt hours. Add in the quick charger and the price comes out to be cheaper than a “LG/Samsung” 6S4P 211 watt hour battery without charger from China. Not only is it cheaper, I can design it to be 100% modular with 3D printed mounts / boost converter enclosure that all just snaps onto the board… plug and play additional batteries as needed, carry extras in the backpack to hotswap on the road. Sounds so nice! Plus no shipping cost to save $35, and get them today :sunglasses:

I see a fun project on the horizon.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s something I did wrong, or if the converter I got was faulty… But it died on me after an hour of charging- screen flickering, power output ceased, unit got very hot, fan turned on and turned off… Now it’s dead. My excitement is dampened. This is the one I got. It was great, charged really fast at 5A when it was working… Got my board from 30 to 60% in relatively little time compared to my standard 2A brick charger.

I’m swapping it for a new one now… Hopefully this one doesn’t just die on me… With the slightly reduced range on my pneumatics, I really could use the extra range now. I’m still trying to think of a clever way to mount the unit and battery holder to my board, rather than just clipping it to the top… But I’ll probably just keep it clipped to the top. Maybe I’ll go for a rear mount to keep it out of the way. Having clip on extra range will be great, I’ll keep dreaming for now until one of these boost converters actually works.

I can vouch for this charger, I use it to charge my 12s build at about 3-5 amps with an input of 24v.

This is making me want to buy a 6s lipo

2 Likes