Push to start switch [OUT NOW!]

Isn’t this a pretty common issue with switches? Where the switch will fail closed and you can’t turn it off? I’ve had it happen with all my switches: Vedder, Lunacycle, even the dinosaur series from antispark haven… I’ve yet to find one that won’t fail closed on me. Hopefully the FATboy mini sparky won’t…

1 Like

think we should focus on them not failing at all LoLz

Wouldn’t it be better to have them fail on? Would suck if it failed off and threw someone off their board

Hows the testing going on this ? Early backers?

I’ve been using this switch for over a month…so far so good.

2 Likes

I bought the switch and realized you can either only have it on a timer to shut off or you can have it push button for 3 seconds off. You can’t have both. Also, with the push to start switch, you have to push to start, you can’t push the button to start…

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.i may pick one up for a small project

1 Like

Fail closed means they get stuck on so you can’t turn them off

1 Like

Hello everyone,

sorry for not replying here or in PMs. I was unfortunately busy moving the shop to a different/new location. We should be back on track with orders and other stuff already. I have replied to everyone I think in PMs and emails but if you have not received a reply please just let me know I may have unintentionally skip someone.

Now to reply to you here: @sofu yes 90% of mosfet switches fail this way. I have destroyed intentionally around 25-30 to find out how and why it happens when designing my own. So there are some that fail due to overload but that was only possible to achieve with static loads exceeding 100A for loner periods of time which burned the mosfets or heared them up to a point where they would malfunction and eventually break. The majority of failed FETs however is when they are turning on. This is due to high current spikes that are created due to the capacitors on VESCS. For this I have made a bank of capacitros (11000uF so equivalent to for example 8 FOCBOXes in parallel) and tried to switch that on and off repeatedly (discharging the caps in between cycles of course) to make sure that the switches are capable of this. I was not able to do this successfully with regular switches thats why all the new ones (push to start and the “regular” antisparks) use and MCU to control the gate of mosfets more precisely. Now that is not to say that my switches dont fail, they do. The failure rate of push to start switches has been 2% so far. IMO that is pretty good so far.

@barajabali I think I have the earliest unit out there. I use it on my daily without issues. It is not under too much stress however. I have dual 10S 245kv on FOC with regular 4.12 VESCs running at 80A motor max, 60A battery. The maximum real current I am able to pull going up hills etc is 55A. I dont live in a particularly hilly area but not a lot of boards exceed similar current anyway.

@Jasonkimberson I am aware of this and new batch is currently under testing. This one will include turn on possibility with button as well. But thank you for letting me know anyway :slight_smile: I may do some kind of a swap for the people that need/want the feature but have one of the earlier units.

Martin.

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanation! I fully expect this new warranty replacement lunacycle switch i have to fail closed within the month, so I’d be more than happy to “real world test” one of your switches :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding but also kinda not really kidding… I’m getting super fed up with these luna switches :upside_down_face:

Anyone have any idea which side the input and output of this switch are at? And also, which side the slide button should be for the push to start mode?

@nuttyjeff You may have missed the instructions at the bottom of this page http://electricskateboard.repair/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product

Damn missed it! thanks!

1 Like

I’ve just installed this and so far is working faultlessly. What a cool idea. I’ve already done away with a voltage meter and use an app. Now done away with the switch. Now just have to do away with the charge port and were good to go. Thanks @Surfer for putting me on to this! (or was it @sayekim?)

5 Likes

I’ve done the same. Do you ever miss having the LCD display?

No, I just look at the app which I trust more than my 50 cent display!

2 Likes

Me too. The charge port is just fine for that…

12 Likes

Not so daft.

@bigben that thing is the most useful thing I ever made, and it plugs into every board, including the commercial boards…just ride with it in your pocket. It’s in my pocket right now

Besides that, you get a feel for how far your boards go and almost never need to check unless you’re pushing it further than usual. But just having it in your pocket gives you the good feeling that you could know at any second. Despite not actually checking.

2 Likes

Thank you @bigben for the feedback!