Push to start switch [OUT NOW!]

Thanks, but this is what I mentioned with “I am able to tune to the setting point” - but it has absolutely no effect with the VESC connected, only works when using a voltmeter instead of the VESC (the VESC is totally ok, I checked this).

I think you contacted the customer service as well right? Just to avoid confusion and keep it in one place. I have just replied to the email with the same message as you posted so I think it is you.

1 Like

Yes, sorry - didn’t know what you prefer. So I tried both way’s. Is it ok if for you I use the customer service/email until we find a solution and then I will post the solution here (may be it’s of interest for the other user on the forum).

Hi @Martinsp! Just received your push to start switch today! (shipping was exactly 1 week, nice!)

Was wondering if it would be safe to drive my board’s front and rear 12V LED lights from the 12V source on your switch. The small LEDs are rated to 30mA I believe, and seems like they are wired up in a 3s4p configuration on each end (with some resistors too, so actual current is probably smaller), so total max current draw would be 8 * 30mA = 240mA. Would that be too much, or can I safely do that? :slight_smile:

Edit: If I hadn’t broken my own 12V DC source I could just measure the current flowing through them, but here I am looking up LED datasheets :man_facepalming:

My beefy 12V converters arrived early in the mail, measured two of my white LED lights, and the current slowly rises as they heat up, but I think it should stay below 150mA. Can the push to start switch handle that @Martinsp ? Then again, I found out that less powerful 12V converters are quite small and cheap, so I’ll probably get one of those just to be safe.

I am having this same issue right now and can’t get it figured out… what did you do @The_Dude or @Martinsp can you help me out…

Hi @Jansen, unfortunately the push to start feature still does not work for me/my configuration (eBike MAC Motor) although I finally made it to tune the setting point. It took me quite a while but if you turn the potentiometer really slow and only in small steps (half a revolution each) and wait for a short while after each half-turn you find the spot when the (V)ESC goes OFF. Sometimes, even at this point, I was not able to store the configuration by pressing the switch button several seconds. I had to turn the potentiometer a quarter or half turn further to get the green LED blinking.

With this configuration I am able to turn ON the auto switch by turning the wheel but the switch does not stay ON when I start driving. If I pull the throttle (using ADC mode of the VESC) the wheel starts spinning for one second or less and then stops - not enough power transmitted to the wheel, (V)ESC goes kind of OFF (blue LED is on but no power throughput). Interesting is, that I hear a “whining” of the motor when I pull the throttle again. Seems that there is some power transmitted but not enough the get the wheel spinning? After some tries, the auto switch bricks so that I even cannot turn it OFF or ON using the LED switch. Last exit is disconnecting the battery. I have two auto switches, both of them show the same behavior, so it seems to be symptomatically and not a defect switch.

Interesting thing ist that at one (only) point in time it worked quite good but after I put the auto switch to another location in the casing it stopped working again. Maybe the auto switch is sensible to any kind of interference, but I don’t know.

I described the situation to @Martinsp in detail and offered him to take some measurements (with his guidance) to assist in finding a solution. Last time was more than 2 weeks ago, I am still waiting for his reply. I would be really happy if I could get this push to start switch working since I really like the feature - but it’s simply not working reliably.

Any help of the forum is highly appreciated! Would be happy to know if anyone got it working.

Yeah I got the same problem with the new switch. I can get it as far as to configure the turn on point but it doesn’t stay on. When I magically do get it to stay on and finish the setting and then try the roll to switch it on, it immediately switches off again after I hit the throttle.

I was on contact with @Martinsp and he offered to replace mine if I send this one back. I was okay with that and now two weeks further I have still yet to hear from him where to send it to.

Thanks for your comment. I think a replacement of the switch won’t help since both of my switches have the same issue too. Would be good if @Martinsp could come up with a proposal how to solve the issue with his switches. Actually I would be better (and cheaper) with a simple ON/OFF anti-spark switch.

@sayekim @The_Dude ok so I am not the only one then… I thought maybe I had a bad solder joint or something but mine is pretty much all the things you talked about @The_Dude Before I saw your comment I actually did get it finally to do the blinking green light and the push to star feature working basically by turning the potentiometer super slow till I see it switch over, but everything else is super unreliable and doesn’t work. Sometime the auto-off feature will work after like 5 minutes, sometimes it doesn’t turn off at all on its own, a couple of times it has turned off in less than a minute. Sometimes the button works to turn it on/off, sometimes it doesn’t. Then I’ve had times where the push to stat works, i give it a little throttle and it seems ok, then I give it throttle again and nothing until I restart my board and/or remote. I also seem to be lacking power when it is working but I think that may be a VESC or remote setting, but maybe not. Yeah hoping @Martinsp has an idea on what to do or what;s going on cause this is my 2nd switch from him as well that is having issues and I really want to take advantage of it and the features but it’s been more of a pain so far… sucks. Any suggestions for us @Martinsp??? Did you test the switches before they were sent out and were they working ok or do they get sent just once they are put together without any testing out of curiosity? Welcome any feedback/thoughts/suggestions from anyone on the form.

Thanks

Seems we’re all in the same boat. I also hat the thought that the “lack of power” might be a VESC thing. So I tried running the identical setup without the push to start switch (XT90 anti spark plug, old school). With this setup I have non issue at all, absolutely reliable! I am quite sure, that at least in my case, this behavior is only due to the push to start switch.

Hmmmmmm… ok. That’s really good to know. Thanks for that, I will do the same thing and try my set up with a different switch to see if that changes anything for me.

Thanks again! Keep me posted on anything you figure/find out and I will do the same.

Hi @Martinsp, I’m still waiting for a short notice from your side. I will wait till weekend for an answer - in case I get no response I will open an issue on Paypal since the product I bought does not work as expected and therefore does not match the description in your shop.

5 Likes

So what is going on here? He was responsive a month ago and now he’s gone.

I’m stuck with a faulty push to start from the new batch @Martinsp

I have a hard time believing he’s taken off and won’t come back since he does esc repairs and supplies @hyperIon1 with antispark too.

3 Likes

He isn’t responding to me either…

2 Likes

@sayekim @Superflim have you guys tried his chat on the website? He was responsive on that channel.

http://sprusi.com/index.php

1 Like

Dido here… sucks

Hello everyone,

sorry for not responding but I have too many PMs to respond to and it is just overwhelming. Plus personal life, the shop is not my main source of income I have a “normal” day job so the time really is tight :confused:

If you dont mind I would like to tackle the problems (switch issue, shipping issues and lost packages etc…) one by one. I was finally able to reproduce the issue some people described and it turns out that the passive components used in the switch made it not possible to operate as it should on some systems. Two customers that were experiencing this issue had the same motor so I bought it, thats how I figured out what the issue was/is. Also that is the reason I did not find out earlier. I think it happened because I was trying to make the switch work on as many systems as possible (eboards ebikes escooters…) and in the end it did not work out quite so well, not enough optimization.

So what will I do about this? I am rushing manufacturing of new units that you (the ones affected) will get as a free replacement unit. I will need you to send me a PM as follows please use this title so I can easily find it and sort out “PTS v7 01/19- (your name)” in the message I would like you to put your situation so what setup you use (battery, BMS or not, what VESC/ESC, motor size and kv, what mode of the switch you tried) and please tell me about the setup process if it all went well according to instructions and what the switch does/does not do. If you dont mind making a short video demonstrating the behavior (nothing fancy I dont need you to talk or anything just show what is going on please).

I understand that I am asking for a lot but I am hoping to solve this once and for all, I could buy a bunch of motors and ESCs but that would just get too expensive really.

With this information from you I will make necessary changes to solve the issues and get the new V8 manufactured and in your hands ASAP.

I really appreciate your patience and understanding, I will do my best to satisfy you all. Martin.

16 Likes

My switch went out (won’t turn on) after 100 miles or so.

2 Likes

Hey @Martinsp I’m really sorry to put this statement out in public but i feel i have to do it to get a response. I understand you have a lot of pm’s to sort through but i sent you a pm 17 days ago asking for the tracking number for a order i placed on you site and i have sill gotten no response. I have followed up with you multiple times just in case you missed my past pm’s however I still got no response. I was really hesitant about putting this up here but I feel i gave you plenty of time (17days) to respond to my pm’s or to responed to me via your sites contact us form. I currently have no proof my item was shipped and i really need it as is the final piece to my build. If this is not sorted out in a timely fashion I’m afraid i will have to file a dispute with PayPal. (Please don’t take this as a threat. I really don’t want to ruin your reputation but i have waited over 2 weeks for a response and still haven’t got one.)

4 Likes