Proton- Digital Instrument and Control Panel Touch Screen

We are asking what it would take to make it totally wireless. Internal battery and Bluetooth support. I would pay $30 more for that. As it stands I don’t think I want it. Purely because I don’t want to drill more holes. I love everything else about it.

I see your point, however it is far from what this project was initially designed for. Adding an internal battery would require additional charging hardware, power consumption would be an issue as well due to the large display and fast refresh rate. Bluetooth or nrf module would also increase the power consumption, resulting in a poor battery lifetime, requiring a lot of more hardware components and an additional receiver.

This controller is supposed to be lightweight, with minimal dependencies to get going. Its a plug in once and forget it.

There are a lot of ways to get around drilling the board. Since the Proton controller is self powered from the UART cable, there is only one cable that needs to be routed, and it is flat. It can be wrapped from the side with minimal exposure. Depending on your board design, it can be hidden underneath the grip tape.

2 Likes

Can I expose the design on the back side? I would like to confirm the mounting position of UART etc. Also, when a UART cable is included, how long is it?

UART 1 and UART 2 ports at the bottom. 24%20PM

UART cable will be 50cm long, thats about 19.68 inches.

1 Like

There are two UARTs, how do you use the second UART?

Generally, you would only use one, connected to the master. The other one can be used if you are running two separate VESCs not connected through CAN bus.

1 Like

Can you recommend an extension about 20inches to lengthen the uart cable

@kylem21 The longest I have been able to find so far is about 19.68 inches, I’m still looking for longer. If not we can connect two cables together.

If you use two UARTs, is the speed the average of the two UART data? Is there a function to see output ampere etc. individually?

@LEE If you have both UARTs connected, then yes, the speed will be the average of the two. Amps consumption can be either set to display the total combined value of the two, or the individual reading. If you have any suggestions or requests please let me know, future software updates are easy to install.

1 Like

Would it be possible to have an eMTB version? Only the mounting holes would be different I guess. And would the length of the wires connecting it to the vesc have any effect?

I know I can make my own UART cable or mount it somewhere else, but just to calculate for a mountain boards it´s min 80cm from the back to the front, so it will not be long enough for sure. Are there some signal problems with that long not shielded cables?

Nice I put in an order :shushing_face:

1 Like

@DilatedPupils Sure, if you happen to have the measurements for the eMTB mounting holes, please post it and i will add a version for it.

@Andy87 Regarding UART data over long cable, if running directly from the tx and rx pins then there might be an issue with voltage drop and noise. To solve this, I’m converting UART to RS485, which can run reliably over a couple meters long cables ( up to 1200meters ), this allows the data to flow over long distance reliably without errors.

The modules I’m using are MAX485, they convert TTL to RS-485 easily.

What software do you use for your renderings. They look beautiful :heart_eyes:

@Ricco Fusion 360 :slightly_smiling_face: @DilatedPupils I found the following template for Trampa’s mounting holes: image

It seems like it already fits the controller:

11%20PM

3 Likes

Some dimensions on mm. 23%20PM

Hmm does it need to be connected to all the Vesc? Im building a 4wd and I’m gonna use split PPM with Focbox would i still be able to use this?

1 Like

Yes you can still use it, it doesn’t have to connect to all your vescs, only the master is enough to report data.

3 Likes

The problem that the screws for the springs stay out of the deck. Depending on how tight you screw it, between 2-8mm I would say. This in outer or inner position. So in this case we would need to mount some spacer under (or neoprene tape etc.) image