Project Zephyr | Rayne Reaper | CarVon Dual Hub Motor | Enertion SPACE | Dual VESC | Nyko Kama

@lowGuido that’s good to know I wasn’t aware of that!

You would definitely reach 10km/H You are using a 10S space cell with good current. Should easily be able to reach 30km/h

1 Like

i wonder if that’s all that’s wrong with some of the old 8S flier dual ESCs i have on my bench. I loved those damned things but both of them have one bad side.

failed caps wont necessarily stop your ESC from functioning, but continuing to use it on bung caps can cause damage to the ESC.

Don’t capacitors develop a short when they fail ? Given the fact that they are on the battery side of the esc, wouldn’t failure of a cap be more than obvious ?

they can fail… and then they can dry out without totally failing.

Heat shrink both VESC today. But had to cut both wires in order to heat shrink them individually). Extended Nyko receiver wires and crimp them. Next step, get a 7pin connector and connect both VESC wires again. Then testing.

2 Likes

Looks nice, but I’d suggest to insulate those PPM pins. They seem to be dangerously close to the capPCB.

2 Likes

@sgaana may I ask what is the type or size of that heat shrink that you use for the VESC?

@NIK It’s about 8cm width or just over 3 1/4 in. That’s the only size big enough I found at my local store. But it shrank to half of its original size. BTW you build looks awesome!

3 Likes

Thanks @sgaana gonna but those :smiley:

@sgaaana According to my personal opinion, that connection should work better (Your friend recommendation is good). The reason behind it is that you would have double capacity of the capacitor working simultaneously supplying to both ESC. It acts like you are using 6 capacitor instead of 3 for single ESC. In case of turning or starting, when one ESC requires sudden power draw, it will supply power from 6 caps instead of 3 to the ESC minimizing cogging effect.

Although in parallel connection from the XT60 / XT90 works as well as above scenario only in much slower rate (cable length effect) :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi dudes, right now, my board stutters when I try to start from stand still. I have tried bench test and sat on the deck. Have not tried to stand on it yet. Please go through the screen shots and see which parameters need to be changed. Cheers.

Have you ried a start up boost of 3 or 4. On the bench, a startup of 3 seemed much better then 1, and 4 was even better, though I can’t test it under load.

You mean increased from 0.150 to 3.0 or 4.0? Did @elkick say not to go beyond 0.150?

yes, sorry, I mean .04, I read your post wrong. I wish I could test my values to see. They mostly look similar to what I could come up with on the bench.

What happens at .04?

Stutters as well, with load. . 0.150 was better. If I push, it won’t stutter. I have to decrease nunchuck’s sensitivity as well.

hmmm… I wish I could offer more advice. Its one of those things where the right values would be golden. But coming up with those values requires a real understanding of the motors and how to calculate these values.

1 Like

There are some mistakes in your settings: the slave VESC setup (“multiple esc’s over can”) won’t fit with “ID 0” and vice versa.

If this is the master, you should disable “multiple esc’s over can”, this causes the stutter. And make sure to give the slave “ID 1” and enable the mentioned option there, master has “ID 0”:

Master: ID 0, “multiple esc’s over can” disabled Slave: ID 1, “multiple esc’s over can” enabled

2 Likes

Thanks @elkick. Will make these changes tomorrow. It’s bedtime in Westcoast Canada now. Cheers