Problems that have occurred and how to prevent them

Transmitter and receiver. I have never used a VESC. But @chaka is a pro.

1 Like

I’ve been bookmarking nuggets to remember when i finally have all the pieces. Here’s one i think is important:

For the Winning Remote:

The failsafe when losing connection can be set to coast by rebinding the remote, and unplugging the bind key while the board and remote are still turned on. If your motor is not spinning when you uplug the bind key then your motor will not spin when it loses connection.

This was posted by @Brando after people were reporting run-away boards if the remote cut out. More detail instruction on how exactly to do that rebind was posted by @longhairedboy today

make sure the binding is good on those Winnings guys. Jason sent me these instrux because i kept streeting my face on a repair and could not figure out what the deal was. It turned out to be the remote binding and something they call “fail-safe functionality.” Beleive me, without it, it fails very unsafe.

Please test the fail-safe functionality (like moving the transmitter as far away from the board and checking if the motor shuts down if out of reach). If the motors doesn’t shut down or applies brakes, please perform the following steps for binding and calibrating:

Check and make sure all the wires are connected and that the REMOTE is OFF. Insert the bind plug into CH3(Bind) on the RECEIVER.

With the REMOTE OFF: switch on the ESC to power up the RECEIVER, the red LED light will flash.

PRESS and HOLD the bind button on the REMOTE and then turn the REMOTE ON.

You should notice the REMOTE and RECEIVER LED light go from flashing red to solid red.

Once you see a solid red light, the binding process is complete. Then without turning the REMOTE OFF or touching the THROTTLE pull the bind plug out (for the receiver to record the throttle mid point, neutral, to engage the fail safe)

Then you can test it again by turning OFF the REMOTE and the RECEIVER LED should flash. By turning the REMOTE ON the RECEIVER LED should go back to solid red.

Before riding, it’s better to test the fail safe functionality again. Leave the board powered on and switch the REMOTE off: if the motor isn’t moving, the fail safe function is working, if the motor is moving fast or abruptly braking while throttle is applied: you have to repeat step No.1- No.6

2 Likes