POLL: Flipsky information in one place

old setup Motor 60/-60 Battery 35/-12

until i had a nasty cutoff. i was already running on my last 20% and hitting the throttle must have strained the battery too much and i rushed through my slow cutoff directly to the hard cutoff and i lost balance. Funny to watch my log. It went from 33v to 30V and then in about 1-2seconds down to 26v.

new setup Motor 60/-60 Battery 25/-12

And what is the difference between the fesc mini and the fesc 4.12 other than the dimensions, has the 4.12 better performance?

4.12 is still based on the the classic shematic as far as i know, the 4.20 is an “improvment”. post nr.32 explains it. It is not a bad product but it doesnt handle current as well as the old 4.12.

1 Like

Personally, getting the 4.20 dual and mini … I’m changing them too for fsesc 4.12 like brenternet. Making an AWD setup, I prefer to go with 4.12, it’s more stable IMO.

Just another ride to go “quickly” to the post office and don’t know why … I start with a fault… It really doesn’t prevent, even with more than a month of the ride now, I set low parameter for them, go easy on the throttle and ride cool but this thing still has not reassuring faults :

I would love so much this dualFSESC4.20 handling like the old 4.12 !!!..

@longhairedboy did you pursue any further with the 4.20 dual in the end or just bench it? I know you spoke to them about cut outs and they accused your battery. Did that go any further?

They’re pretty much accepting it’s limitations now are aren’t making excuses. I’m asking for a solution though so let’s see how the customer service works out.

1 Like

I guess we got no solution for them … Even with better and bigger caps, it didn’t handle it well … HW issue :persevere:

I try to work on it yesterday :blush: a slim fit inside, locked with silicon glue to prevent vibration?

• Want to keep the heatsink direct on top for air flow (will have fun with silicon or so I guess)
  • Need another stage (2nd), below the “holding” space (1st stage), to pass sensor uart ppm wires etc.
  • it sizes actually 165 x 84 x 22 mm

If you have any advice e-riders, please don’t hesitate :v: :wink:

3 Likes

i told them it was a manufacturing defect and binned it. I can’t ride on it reliably and they didn’t seem keen on fixing the issue. So i don’t know what happens next.

That’s quite a bummer though

Got mine replaced. No much question asked.

If someone want to have a look :wink:

5 Likes

So I’m back here to report to you guys. I changed it to BLDC mode and no more cutouts. I guess this is still the nature of VESC 4 having issues running FOC.

@Kug3lis sorry for dragging you into another flipsky post haha. What do you think? Does cheaper mean worse in this case?

1 Like

I have been running the 4.20 dual from Flipsky for a bout 4 weeks now.

Firstly I started with BLDC 36/15t,10s5p 30Qs on 110mm wheels using their 6354 motors. I could not believe all the over-current faults I got on startup, it was VERY disappointing.

Then I went to use sensored hybrid and it was better but over-current faults do still tend to happen. After this I went over to using FOC in which 99% of the problems disappeared but I also dropped down to 97mm wheels. The big issue is hard acceleration and breaking when you need more power within the instances thus getting the blessed cutout. Re-arming the throttle is the quick fix, but I definitely think that a higher gear ratio would be best for this dual VESC and adding a very generous throttle curve. I don’t think it’s best to handle this vesc at higher speed than 45ish km/h.

I only run my 110mm wheels when I go on my local race track to hit 55km/h which is fine because I am very gentle on the throttle.

2 Likes

@Flashgod224 what settings u ended up using?

The FESC 6.6 seems to be the ESC to go for flipsky. The voltage readings are pretty much fucked though.

I bypass BMS fyi, so if I remember correctly @Okami 45 -45 35 -18

1 Like

thats something i can’t wrap my head around. why did they not notice this

No QC or real life testing

1 Like

So the polls here and general forum posts are pretty clear now. Please correct me if I am wrong so that I can adjust this for future buyers.

Motors are 50/50 and not recommended due to epoxy and magnet issues. Especially the 6374 4.20 dual appears to just about work on 10s and lower BDLC on moderate settings 4.12 single is decent with reasonable settings, even on FOC. 4.20 mini single isn’t worth buying over the 4.12 single 6.6 single works well, decent settings, FOC 6.6 dual works well, decent settings, FOC

Flipsky do support the products, they are aware of the issues and are actively trying to resolve them at a manufacturing level.

Refunds, replacements and communication is happening, if a little slow some times.

As with everything at this price point a solid visual inspection is needed before plugging in.

Looks like the real winners here are the 4.12 single in my opinion, the 6.6’s will give you great results on top end boards but bang for your buck on a mid range build that 4.12 is a beast at ~$55 with a aluminium case at ~$30 on eBay.

Comments or corrections?

5 Likes

I think the motors that have the most problems are the 6355s, bot the 6374s?