Please review my battery pack so I don't make a 🔥

It has just dawned on me I may have made a small cock up, i have been referencing this great drawing from i think @mmaner

Esk8%20Construction%20Diagram%20-%2012s5p%2C%20x2%20FocBox

I appear to have completely ignored the charge wire dept. Can I tap the positive onto the main wire or should I uncover the + on 12s and go direct? I’m using d140 charge only…

I’ll be using a meanwell 4a charger, what gauge should the charge wire be?

3 Likes

… 10char

1 Like

On inspection a big cockup, the 22awg balance wires have been sent as 26awg, I had to get my boy with young eyes to confirm :anger:

What are the implications of this on a 4a charge?

yes you can, it’s ultimately the same connection.

2 Likes

That’s all good, the balance wire carry very little current < 200mah. As for missing the charge port lead just connect it to the positive wire, preferably before the as switch as you won’t have to turn the board on then

2 Likes

@pat.speed beat me to it.

should be fine with 26awg for balance leads, very little current.

i’ve pumped 10a @ 50v though 20awg wire and i could not feel it getting warm to the touch. 26a should be fine.

1 Like

You beat me to the charge port wire… I guess we are even

2 Likes

Phew, thanks all, I nearly bust out the knife for some open kapton surgery…

1 Like

One last thing, charge wire awg?

Preferably 18 or less for 4amp, I use 18. I think it’s rated for about 10a

1 Like

IMO 26awg is very delicate, and has to be handled with extreme care especially near the crimps. OTOH if you have a short somewhere because the wire broke, it’ll have a very good chance at acting as a fuse and burning itself out before anything more serious happens.

I’m with Pat I like 18awg. Pick something thick for robustness, as long as its not too thick for the connectors.

1 Like

Put a fuse on the charge wire. Seen a few boards have issues with faulty / damaged / kids / user error with the charge port.

3 Likes

Ok, no worries, would that go on the positive side? What amp?

Either side will work, I’d put about 6-10a for a 4a charger

1 Like

Many thanks, I’ll order one up :+1:

Guys I’ve done my first p group. Fish paper rings on both pos and neg and a full fishpaper wrap around he cells. I don’t think I’ll be getting any shorts this century.image image image image

13 Likes

Need some more opinions. How do you feel about a single layer of 10 x .15mm nickel on the parallel connection? It will be linked in series with 14/12awg

Insulator rings on neg side not needed. Looks good tho

Haha yeah I know lol, I bought extras and thought why not. I guess it could help against punctures. How do you feel about the single layer of nickel?

No issues, nickel at short lengths has enough ampacity. Series connections in copper 12awg good too

2 Likes