Please review my battery pack so I don't make a šŸ”„

MinispotA was $60 + $15 shipping. If you have a high C lipo, thatā€™s all you need, otherwise a $45 lipo works. Thats, what, around the cost (or slightly below) of a low quality Sunnko from Amazon?

Even taking into account a full spot welder for your first build + materials/cellsā€¦ The cost is around equivalent to buying from a reputable builder. Not to take business from them, not everyone has the time, attention to detail, or desire to build (or even buy) more than a single pack. In those cases Iā€™d say buy- otherwise, equivalent cost with investment in time and research for the first and massive savings after that, totally a spot welder is worth it, I put it off too long.

1 Like

This is a terrible idea. google it up. steel contacts are very high resistance. If you draw more than like 3 amps it heats up, bends, gets brittle, etcd. Contact gets worse, more heat, meltie meltie.

You say 20-30amp like itā€™s nothing. That is quite a lot of energy.

2 Likes

But for science, someone needs to see what happens. Maybe with one of them on a lab power supply though. Not 50 of them in a batteryā€¦

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s why I said google. Lots of people have tried and documented the fail. If you do a bypass mod, where you solder some copper where the cells contact, it has a chance. Might be worth a try in a charging station or a flashlight. Not worth the trouble at all in a vehicle.

1 Like

Iā€™m pulling 10A continuous and itā€™s perfectly fine

Why did you use so thick wires for charging?

There is no need for it and in case of a short thinner wires can act as a fuse

2 Likes

You should put a fuse on the charge port.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/576-099707.5WXN

3 Likes

Definitely a good point! That what I made wrong in my first build. 12awg for charge portā€¦18awg would have just melted away. Better even using a 8-10a fuse as well on the charge port.

3 Likes

Its all i had on hand. I will order some right away. For now i will just put a 7.5A fuse on it.

1 Like

Just before i fire this thing up and charge it i wanated to make sure everything is ok so i dont get the magic smoke.1555772108414342881083 i have a 7.5 A fuse wired for charging.

1 Like

I know you are going to hate me for this but the fuse should be placed as close to the battery as possible and before the bms.

1 Like

Fuck 10char

:rofl: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Ok so it has to be close to tge battery and b4 the bms so would i put it here15557729433251948985804

1 Like

:ok_hand: 10ch

1 Like

15558589230201538467188 i was just charging my pack up and felt that the bms is pretty hot. Should i be concerned or is this normal. I think those are capictors. Not sure15558590127212074490890maby @thisguyhere or @b264 could help me. it has been staying at around 95 degrees for 18min unplugged

Those are the balance resistors and they are designed to get hot while they are bleeding off each P-pack. They should stop getting warm after a while.

4 Likes

Phew. I thought i did something wrong. Thanks for the reasurance.

So I have a real hard time trusting these cheap BMS. I used a stripboard pcb and some male headers to make a parallel board for the balance connectors, then hook up one of those bluetooth smart bms, to monitor cell voltages. I hook it up, then charge through the dumb bms, and can check whatā€™s going on. Along with a FLIR to see where the heat is being made.

Lol I usually donā€™t like what I see, and it takes hours and hours, but it lets me understand the behavior.

2 Likes

oooh yeaā€¦

this is why bms shouldnā€™t be attached directly to the battery.

can you share some pictures?

iā€™m finding these small bms ineffective for large packs - i mean, balance current on the d140 (and most bms for that matter) is less than 0.01A - so at that rate to balance a, letā€™s say 6p cell or 18Ah cell, thatā€™ll take forever.

2 Likes