Please review my battery pack so I don't make a šŸ”„

1st pic looks great but the second pic, the discolored circle is big and scary. Maybe Iā€™m zooming in too much. :slight_smile: if youā€™re getting a range between these photos youā€™re probably good

Some things that have worked for me to get it to stick better ā€“ maybe you can lower your power a bit.

Clean the cell and nickel with alcohol.

Lighten up the pressure on the probes.

Oh and you can reshape the tips with sandpaper.

2 Likes

20190324_222903 20190324_222851 20190324_220608 20190324_222844

My first full (practice) go at a 5P groupā€¦

Iā€™m planning on cutting the barley paper a little bit wider and longer to wrap around fully next time, partly because I donā€™t know if I trust kapton tape to insulate between the edge of the cell and the balance lead. Iā€™ll also be spot welding a couple more shots on each.

Is there anything else I could improve on?

5 Likes

How you plan to connect the p packs later?

Since iā€™m getting 35A cells (VTC5A), I plan to solder 2x 10AWG wires to the nickel strips to connect each P group.

1 Like

If you split the solder point on different cells than that should work out with only one layer of nickel. If no, than better add some layers.

2 Likes

@SeanHacker how this happen? Mechanical stress or too much POWWERRRR?

8 Likes

Not really sure. Only running 80a Motor Max and 30a Batt Max per vesc. Itā€™s a 30q 10s5p pack so I donā€™t think power is the issue. That braided copper can flex and lead to fraying is all I know. The battery is attached to the deck with no flex.

Well then I might guess mechanical stress from vibration combined with the braid going from stiff soldered area to flexible over a short distance.

Even though the pack is velcroed to the board, the left and right side of the pack could still vibrate up and down up to 1mm each side. Eventually braking the braid.

If that is true, a longer section of braid between the two soldered areas would allow for more flex and less stress on the braid.

6 Likes

Exactly this or even two strands of 10 gauge silicone wire. Thatā€™s what we used.

1 Like

10awg is probably overkill, for a 5p I think 2 bits of 12-14awg would be enough.

3 Likes

didā€¦ did someone say power?

POWEEER!!

8 Likes

Better over than under in this case. Less room for bullshit later. :wink:

4 Likes

Was that link braid pre tined or plain cooper.

I suspect the solder flowed to close to were it was flexing and stiffening it all up and putting the flex in one very small. space as it flexed repeatedly in this small area it started braking the strands. Increasing resistance increasing heat and work hardening the copper. This ends up been a self perpetual cycle that escalated untill catistrofick fault you end up with there. This is what I think most likely happened from working on large factry mechinary that vibrates and seen similar results with stranded copper.

I think your better of with the copper braid over the silicon wire just make sure thereā€™s more space between the stiff soldered area. (I prefer the pre tinned stuff personally as I fined it easya and quicker to get the solder contained were I want it for a better more controlled concetion)

Disclaimer this is my opinion Iā€™m sure otheres will have different or contradiction ones i recommend reading them all and making your own mined up to what you think is best.

1 Like

Just finished my 12S4P for my new project.

I ordered the 30Q with the Tags from nkon.nl every row of my holder has 8 batteries and there is a total of 6 rows (8x6 = 48 cells = 12s4p). I connected 4 of them in parallel and then connected to the next pair of 4. So it means each row has 2 parallel pairs. For connecting the parallel pairs I used a thicker wire because the tag only would not have a desirable amp rating by itself.

So I just soldered the parallel pairs together with the tags. If you have a soldering iron that can get hot enough and you sand the tags a bit then it will hold up quite well.

Just donā€™t want to invest in a spotwelder that I only use once every 2 years.

The case and everything is printed on my 3D Printer (Material PLA)

To improve shock absorption the cells have acrylic and hotglue between the cells.

image image image image image image

3 Likes

What about fish paper? šŸ¤·

2 Likes

With sturdy spacers, imo not needed. But if the spacers are prone to cracking bending or meltingā€¦ I still say not needed, and get better spacers.

Mechanical stress is a real thing that can be a strong factor to this; Iā€™ve had big issues with it on my packs as well:

btw you can get neutral cure silicon amazon prime!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005X685NK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Hereā€™s some pictures of my latest battery build- 0329191311 0329191229a 0329191316 0331192234 0329191315 0331192215a 0331191701 0401191900 0329191610 0329191616 0331191756 0401191901a 0329191610b 0331191704 0401191901

11 Likes

Is there a reason why you out the fishpaper everywhere but not between the p-packs?

6 Likes