Please review my battery pack so I don't make a šŸ”„

Just dropping these here as they are so nice. @akhlut did a great job!

IMG_20180828_220120_221 20181122_215653 20180829_201701 20180829_202130

10 Likes

Both of these have 10 numbers but youā€™re saying B0 to B10 which is 11 wires.

This sounds like an off-by-one error.

Also the diagram you posted is not correct, B0 should at the same tension (voltage) as B- and B1 should be about 3.5V higher to the positive side

So measuring from B- you should have (assuming all cells are at 3.5V charge level)

(eleven numbers, eleven wires) B0 - 0.0V B1 - 3.5V B2 - 7V B3 - 10.5V B4 - 14V B5 - 17.5V B6 - 21V B7 - 24.5V B8 - 28V B9 - 31.5V B10 - 35V

What is the voltage between the big B- wire and the black balance wire (B0) ? Do you have a photo of the bottom of the BMS? How about a photo of the plug the balance connector goes into?

I think battery negative first

1 Like

I thought someone might mention thisā€¦ i wasnā€™t sure how to write it in a way that wasnā€™t confusing.

I left one leg of my multimeter connected to b0, then measured the voltage to b1, b2ā€¦ b9, b10. I can confirm no voltage drop between battery negative and b0 ( the other end of b0 is soldered to the negative terminal lol).

Hereā€™s the bottom (other side) of the bms:

This would help, but I donā€™t see anything wrong at the momentā€¦but I donā€™t know which way the plug orients and I need to know to help any more

image image

Out of curiosity I removed the shrink wrap of a cheap Chinese xt-90 splitter. I was kinda surprised to just find solder in there to bridge the gaps. Is this an ok method of doing it? I was going to make my own one of genuine xt-90s and was wondering if I should use the same method or just make a regular y harness using wires.

2 Likes

image imageimage image image image image Rainy day today so Iā€™m making a battery. All and any advice welcomed.

12 Likes

What soldering iron do you use?

Antex 100W. Very quickly because itā€™s a beast. Less than a second.

1 Like

Ok Iā€™m looking for one since the one I just bought was awful. Where did u get it

ebay. This is just for big stuff though. Iā€™ve got a smaller one for other stuff.

1 Like

Well ok I bought this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SD100-Soldering-Iron-Silver/dp/B000R9Y0ZK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544888344&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=100w+soldering+iron&dpPl=1&dpID=31IxDbQSXTL&ref=plSrch

Looks almost the same but for some reason the tip deteriorated within like 10mins of soldering :open_mouth:

As for the spot welding. Itā€™s not pretty but I donā€™t see anything alarming

1 Like

The Weller 100w has a temperature controlled huuuge tip, great for big stuff (terrible for non-big stuff).

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-W100PG-Farenheit-Soldering-Degree/dp/B07C43TSFK

2 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s necessarily a problem, but something to be considered. Some of the series connections are 2 x nickel, and others are wire braid? I suppose the nickel ones will just bottleneck the pack as a whole rather than causing some kind of uneven discharge.

And I know usually everyone does the parallel welds as first layer, series welds on top of those, but for me I find the nickel-to-nickel doesnā€™t stick quite as well as the nickel-to-battery. I think, I could afford to lose a parallel connection but losing a series weld would be no bueno. So I would do battery ā†’ series weld ā†’ parallel weld. Someone correct me if Iā€™m full of shit.

And something I do when Iā€™m making packs, I put tape on all exposed contacts that Iā€™m not currently working on. I know youā€™d remove all that for the photo shoot, but thought it might help someone.

I like the welding jig :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The nickel is 12mm x 0.15mm so I thought that would be ample for the size of the pack? 1 strip should be good for 40A or am I way off?

Batteries looking good, Nickel should be enoughā€¦ I bought some 15mm wide 0.2mm thick nickel.

Yet to put my DIY welder together.

I will be using one of these butane soldering ironsIMG_20181215_161146

Yes this is acceptable.

I hope you dont plan on using that for battery welding. In my experience, they donā€™t get hot enough for that application. You have to leave it on the battery for too long. But thatā€™s just my personal opinion on it.

Iā€™ve got a butane soldering iron, not this model though. I donā€™t find it anywhere near hot enough for this though. I use the exhaust outlet for heat shrink!

1 Like