Penny "Nickel" complete dual hub motors zippy 6s20c 3000mah x2 in series

Damn! Which vesc is that and where’d you get it from?

You can just downgrade to 1 motor for now right?

I got it from Alextech on here. I’m going to see if I can figure out how to just use one motor

@Sapphirinia You should probably wait till you get another Vesc, I have had customers who used one and burned the enamel inside the Hub. It’s odd to see it short like that, they look a little wet? Perhaps dust. It’s definitely blown on the DRV, check for shorts on the phase wires.

It’s possible that there was a short in a phase wires as I had to resoldered like 4 of them. U should just resoldered all of them. Definitely was not wet. A little dusty though from riding I assume. Not sure where to go from here. No more money to dump into it at this moment

So I finally bought another vesc and all the connections are different. The rc connections aren’t soldered on. The motor connections are bigger and the battery connections are xt90 instead of xt60. What would be my best way to reconnect everything? I like how much thicker the cables are on the new one but want to do it the best possible way.

1 Like

Best way is to re-solder on the correct connectors, but your going to need a beefy iron to heat up these thick wires. Or you could make adapters but that would be messy and harder to fit in the enclosure.

1 Like

Thanks. If I do that I SAS just going to cut off the old ones and stick them on the new ones. What about the receiver connection?

how much money have you spent so far ?

Probably $600 or so

I resoldered everything, got all the lights on, been swapping around phase wires but still can’t get the wheels to spin…

1 Like

What’s going on in the bldc tool? Did you do the calibration yet or mess with app/control settings?

Phase wire swapping will just reverse the motor direction it should move either way so long as they’re connected even if one is loose the motor should jitter. Would check battery cut off limits and do the calibration then check the app config assuming calibration works out.

Everything I try motor detection it fails. This is on either vesc. I did unplug all the phase wires when I resoldered them so I’m not exactly sure of the correct order. I’ve tried to set everything the same as it used to be when it used to work.

Make sure calibration is done with belts removed so the motor spins freely as well

They are hub motors

Ah okay yeah just no load on them while calibrating so make sure the board is just flipped in the case of hub motors I guess.

Ok, I’ll try that. I had it raised

When it fails calibration is the motor moving at all or is it totally motionless the whole time?

If the former I’d assume your connections are good and you just need to adjust the settings it starts off with for the calibration maybe (I’m not too experienced with that issue though since mine seemed to calibrate basically first shot, after removing load). If it jitters but doesn’t fully turn could either be one loose phase line or lack of power through the mosfets feeding it, if it turns but the calibration just fails I’d lean more towards it just being something in the config that needs to be set before running the calibration (not sure what though exactly, perhaps different BEMF coupling and integrator values but not sure where a good starting point is for those I just trusted it gave me the right info)

If the latter (no motion) would guess wiring or power settings on the battery cut offs.

Not moving. It’s vibrated before though

I killed one of my batteries so I ordered some more. Should get a bit more range out of them too when I get it working again. I’m curious if my servo connection is correct though. I left my board sitting for about a week with the batteries hooked up and the Watt meter was lit the whole time and now 2 of the cells are dead. Can I still try to get the vesc settings to work with one battery until my order gets here? I really need to get this thing working again.

Is it a 3s or 4s lipo? If so, yep.