Open Source software and hardware. Your rights and obilgations

Epic thread… i have no idea whats going on but, i actually felt a breeze from all the ball swinging, and then heard a wallop when @Kug3lis unfurled the mighty whang of knowledge. :blush:

6 Likes

you should go back and read our conversations chaka, only one of us was slagging people off…

and mrrobot I think your tinfoil hat is too tight.

& As per the previous thread you started that has been deleted by admin where you made similar wild accusations directed towards me. You can not say in public that a business is price gouging as it is a legally defined term that describes illegal activity, such statements amount to liable and you will end up getting this thread closed and deleted like the last.

That’s the problem right there, both you and Frank think you can tell people what they can and cannot do by being a bully.

Let me be the first to tell you…I live in America, I WILL say any damn thing I want to say.

You want to throw lawyers at it, go for it. I bet I have access to more lawyers than you do considering the legal team i work with, the 2 I have on retainer for my dad’s estate and the 1 I graduated college with who was at my wedding.

5 Likes

@mmaner @Cobber

Both of you cool it - yes, accusations have been made, but nothing came of it so let’s learn to ignore speech that isn’t helpful or positive.

Also, just because America is a land of free speech doesn’t mean that speech doesn’t have consequences in a social context.

• I’m leaving @mmaner’s statement here because the flag was unnecessary but the language needs to be toned down.
2 Likes

Then what’s your horse in this matter? Why all the passion lubber? Are you just Late Night Frank following all day Frank :wink:

Besos

1 Like

Thus thread is um…haha

-VESCTool is open source and available. -VESC6.4 is OS, all you need is the schematic which is publicly available -“VESC” is trademarked by trampa -the hardware called “VESC6” by Trampa is not open source, like most hardware. Not every OS project provides Gerber’s for pre-laid out hardware.

-speaking of open source actions like these such as TM and OS arguments. Is just asking for a fork.

If you want to build VESC6’s go get the schematic, design a board and stop complaining. You have everything you need publicly available. Don’t expect every open source project to hold your hand and give you everything on a silver platter. Most OS projects just include schematics and no Gerber’s as it forces people to design boards to fit their application.

Y’all. Wow…I can’t even.

Better yet since y’all are helpless http://vedder.se/forums/download/file.php?id=438&sid=42ec26f837a5c4e99e0badf82f78c272

The schematic has been available over a year…lol

9 Likes

You are correct, my bad. Won’t happen again. I just get really passionate about seeing people taken advantage of is all.

My apologies @Cobber, should have been so vocal. I still think you are wrong…really, really wrong…but I should have been more adult in my response.

5 Likes

I just want to let you know it’s spelled libel…not liable

2 Likes

you know, it all sounds like pharmacy industry. everyone knows, the drugs are nt that expensive, developed by thousands of people. but only a company hold the right to fk everyone with over price. it’s business and legal. However, it is simply wrong. vesc6 is not essential to live, yet it is heart of esk8. yes it is OS but that doesnt mean everyone has skill set equipment to make one

5 Likes

@trampa… On a serious note since no one cares about the VESC6 you sell.

Where the Gummies at?

1 Like

3 Likes

New Gummies molds are currently in the make. Not for Christmas… Sorry.

Would love to see people staying on topic. The topic is software and hardware and GPL. rights and obligations.

It is about the matter in general. I’m amazed how fast things went off topic.

Frank

4 Likes

@rene, you’re nailing it. I couldn’t agree more. I don’t know if you found it already, but BV explained the trademark situation, and how he will continue the VESC project a while ago: http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=733 I don’t know how it happened, but the public opinion here is that @trampa stole stole something from the community. The reality is that the community still has everything that it had before and more. Except for the the name “Vedder”.

@mmaner, come on. Please read BV’s statement form May this year (yes, May!!). This statement btw also addresses several of your other accusations. Seriously, read it!

Aren’t you being a bit dramatic here? As I recall it @trampa announced it in advance and told everyone that nobody has to throw away PCBs they already got. They could just black out the “VESC” with a marker or just put a sticker on it. The FOCBOX is a perfect example why the trademark is NOT a problem. Enertion could fork the 4.12 and make something better. Everyone pretended that it’s gonna be the end of the world if you can’t call it VESC-X any more, and look what terrible things have happened: none! The opposite, FOCBOX still benefits from the new firmware developments. And it’s great that @Ackmaniac can go ahead and give it his own spin. And (finally something on topic!) it is also great that he is forced by the GPL to publish his changes. That’s how it SHOULD work. Everyone benefits from everyone’s improvements!

Exactly! It’s been chewed on over and over, and people still can’t tell project, trademark, source, copyright, and license apart.

Trampa: “GPL has rules attached to it. The’re not hard to follow.” This forum: “TRAMPA DIDN’T INVENT THE VESC!!!”

Also this :point_up_2: :point_up_2: all the way!

Nobody forces anyone to deal with trampa if you want to be part of the VESC project. You can contribute, or just copy, modify and sell it. Just follow the law, which was not written by @trampa. He’s just telling you the situation, the rules that everyone has to play by, including @trampa and BV. And it’s is good that way. If you want to change or adapt, just publish your changes and inform everyone about the license. This way the VESC project can be a healthy OS ecosystem, and this has NOTHING to do with the trademark. So everyone please stop behaving like a baby who’s lollipop @trampa stole. You still got it, you just can’t call it VLollipop® any more…

Edit: I just realized: Frank isn’t @Frank, but @Trampa. Sorry for the hundreds of wrong tags, @Frank! LOL

12 Likes

Thank god there are finally some voices of reason in this hate contest.

So many people completely misunderstand franks whole point.

This shows that you have not understood in the slightest what Trampa/Frank are all about. They actually are the small business trying to succede and further develop the VESC.

Who the ? is being taken advantage of here? If anyone, it used to be/ still is BV.

2 Likes

I have, doesn’t carry water.

Nope.

It could be, but it’s not. It’s not because there’s a profit hungry asshat driving the car…and a wreck is inevitable.

Honestly, I’m not interested in your ‘spin’. You are totally capable of having your own opinion, even if it’s the wrong one.

This shows that you’ve been drinking the kool-aid (wonder if they will sue me for using their brand name).

Lol

Everyone that invested in the VESC’s platform, everyone one who developed 3re party software/firmware for the VESC and has their ideas pilfered, everyone who enjoys the VESC platform and is watching it crash in flames from profiteering and terrible marketing.

1 Like

I see… Fake news!

Dude…

Since they can’t get, use, modify, publish, re-brand, or sell the software, firmware, and hardware any more. Wait…

1 Like

Just as a side note, before Trampa came in the game, the HW was also fully open-source. This means that all schematics AND PCB files were released. It is not the case anymore. Trampa say they will release a reference design but this is very far from a HW open-source licence (which would force Trampa to release all files from their VESC design).

1 Like

The schematics are still open source - I come to the conclusion, that for us as community it is an adventage that the Vesc-6 PBC layouts are not available - because this will produce new different designs on the market.

Maybe someone will do a pcb with two VESCs on it - for dual-motor setups. Saving space

2 Likes