Open Source software and hardware. Your rights and obilgations

Do it! I would support you full on wherever I can.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what @stewii said who identically built his clone VESC6 in small quantities. Even with the MP9250 motion tracking chip he paid $67 (50 pounds). For quantities of 5-10 units. In mass production maybe $50/each. Fuc i would put up money for 1000 units. Could still chip in $10 to BV. $90 profit roughly per VESCā€¦ 180% roi? da fuq already

@stewii VESC6 clone:

3 Likes

Yea my prices above are for stweii esc that I started building. Prices are for 1. Ordering 10 BOM straight from digikey comes down to about $85.

Seems this has turned into a discussion about general IP (Intellectual Property) rights, relative to a trademark or even a patent who knows why the application date is important and what it means?

Another Trampa shillā€¦ beats me up and cries like the English patient everytime i say something about them.

The Empire strikes backā€¦ lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are nonsensical dude? way off base, but Iā€™m guessing nothing new there eh? Way to turn a up and up discussion on the down low :thumbsup: By all means sledge away, but you might be more effective if you are actually on topic and there is some truth in what you are sayingā€¦

Iā€™m not talking about trampa at all as I said:

I think we can put a red mark against mrrobot as he has no idea, anyone else?

Yeahā€¦I donā€™t like that mr robot man used naughty words and hurt my feelingsā€¦safe space /s

1 Like

You are a Trampa shillā€¦ and @koralle and a few others

stop Cobberā€¦ please just stopā€¦

1 Like

tl;dr; of this topic is that Trampa wants to monopolize VESC and I guess it triggered the focbox sales with over 500 units sold :smiley: Imagine how much he grieves about it :smiley:

3 Likes

you should publish the whole lot dude, but please donā€™t clog up this discussion with rantings of your own inadequacies. Put it all in perspective for peopleā€¦ You should start your own topic :wink:

What does a trademark application date mean? From that date the owner of the mark has the right to use the mark in the marketplace unopposed by new users of the mark.

What that means in practice: Fred Sunny has a trademark on Sunny Widget that he applied for last week and was granted yesterday. Today if someone else markets a product as Sunny Widget he has the right to defend his mark with litigation to protect his business and the consumer. But there are caveats:

1. If my name is Jim Sunny I can also market my Widget as Sunny Widget because Sunny is my name.

2. Jimbo Bob has been selling a Widget he makes that he also called a Sunny Widget since last year, the marketplace therefore knows his Widget as a Sunny Widget. Jimbo Bob can continue to sell his Sunny Widget because his use of the mark pre-dates Fred Sunnyā€™s trademark application.

Whilst according to the letter of the law Jim and Jimbo should be able to continue selling their Sunny Widget, if Fred Sunny has deep pockets he can try to drive them out of the market with pointless litigation that he will lose but will end up costing Jim and Jimbo money and time to defend themselves against.

Do itā€¦for all of our sake please do it! There are tons of people that would support you, including me. PM me and we can discuss.

4 Likes

Take a book, rewrite it, same story, other words, very inventive, very impressive, copyright is still with the original author, especially after making your intentions public in the first place.

If I would be desperate to write a novel, I would write up my own story and own chapters.

Frank

Frank,

I think you may be mistaken.

Here is an example of your analogy IRL: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/mar/28/danbrown.books

As for software, what you just described has been going on since before Steve Jobs owned a garage.

3 Likes

Honestly, I would rather commit to the code base, help to make it better and get in touch with the guy who put a lot of effort in and knows every detail.

I donā€™t get the point about the obsession to rip things apart.

Frank

That is the coder/DIY mindset :slight_smile:

Open it up, how does it work? Can I make it work better?

I could seen an approach where someone looks at the existing codebase/HW, then sits down at the drawing board and comes up with something of their own creation. We are all standing on the shoulders of giantsā€¦

There is a really cool series called Halt and Catch Fire, it explores the exact topics we are talking about, I think you might enjoy it, I know I did

2 Likes

Here is a little gem of a conversation (allegedly) between Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, I think it speaks volumes as to how both companies were being operated (at the time anyway):

Steve Jobs confronted Bill Gates after he announced Windowsā€™ GUI OS. "Youā€™re stealing from us!ā€ Bill replied ā€œI think itā€™s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.ā€

4 Likes

I think you do, especially since you are destroying the VESC in this community

2 Likes

@cobber has been trolling me in private too. The funny thing is he was positioning himself against Trampa in his messages.

4 Likes

Dude, YOU HAVE ZERO understanding how software world works, if that was the case you would not have any single application today. Go read some literature before trying to argue with a person who is doing professional software development more than half of my life.

Plus who wants to commit the code base then this kind of shit happening? You just trashed the whole Benjamin work in front of many people.

7 Likes

Itā€™s all strategy, I have seen this before. I canā€™t get into the specificsā€¦ but it was in 2005, I built a pay-per-click softwareā€¦ it was generating like $100k / week hard cash flow. They were going in the forums and saying blah blah and blah with all these shill accounts or paid pumpers. Until their accountant gave me a salacious video and I had some proof (by hacking them) thru google and url search operators to mine their website (yes they didnā€™t have a smart robot.txt crawler blockerā€¦lol) that they were shipping medication without medical recordsā€¦ they wouldnā€™t give me back my money. I beat them allā€¦ the whole ring later got arrested for dealing meds without Rx not before paying me my money. I literally had to do the worst things. It was awfulā€¦ probably gave me some PTSD. That is why I just now stick to my day jobā€¦ play with my computers and ride my skateboardsā€¦lol.

So when I see @Cobber and @trampa and @koralle it gives me flashbacks right way.

Think what they did with VESCā€¦ rather than organically build love for itā€¦they sought to buy its name and hijack us all to pay them their price gouging. Like they are the law, the lord and the kingā€¦ and off with our heads if we donā€™t kneel. By ā€œbuyingā€ Vedder they thought they bought the business. But technology doesnā€™t work like thatā€¦ money will flow to remove the middle man. Itā€™s harder and harder to create 17-year long patents that create monopolies. Tech is poised to prevent that mostly.

Suffice to sayā€¦ I am old and I been aroundā€¦ I look young but it hurts every time I fall nowā€¦ best to not go quietly I guess :wink:

2 Likes