Open Source software and hardware. Your rights and obilgations

Sorry guys, why do you think that the TM and the GPL-obligations have anything to do with another? Why do you think that you need to use the VESC-Brand to comply with the GPL?

For software you need to state that it is OS, a copyright notice, offer the sources, the GPL-license and that is about it. Sure, the copyright will show Benjamin Vedders name, which obviously differs from VESC. If you offer modified software/firmware you need to state that it is a modified version of the original software by e.g. Benjamin Vedder. You can ad an ā€œAboutā€ button in the menu bar and drop the licensing and copyright notice there. Open Firefox >> Help >> About and you will see.

Frank

@PXSS what design are you talking about? Software or Hardware. We are talking software and GPL.

Thatā€™s why I ā€œloveā€ companies selling OS and then trying to get involved in fair tradesā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry guys - stop shooting the messenger!

I am only six weeks to this awesome community of esk8ing

• but I am in software for decades ('84 as I turned 12 years old)

There is GPL in all that VESC / VESC-Tool / BLDC-Tool / Firmwares etc. Thats why ā€œitā€ has to include GPL information.

Thread will not come from Vedder or Trampa - it will come from FSF (FreeSoftwareFoundation) https://www.fsf.org. Its big, well founded and it has the right to sue.

@onloop - is right (nobody does care about GPL) @trampa - is right (GPL Information has to be included )

We are all giants on the shoulders of others.

Cheers from Hamburg / Germany,

RenƩ

PS: Owner of four Focboxes, two ā€œvescā€ made in DK, just soldering his first batterypack. Beeing thankfull to this forum-community and its founder. Bought the $20 Version of the VESC-Tool to support B. Vedder.

10 Likes

What about ChibiOS GPL license why you donā€™t include it too?

1 Like

I donā€™t see anywhere mentioned that it uses ChibiOS not in your store, not on the vesc-project websiteā€¦ So please stop talking about GPL then you guys yourself violate it :wink:

7 Likes

I figure this is all politics and theatreā€¦but I agree with @onloop

@onloop could just block all Trampa threads on here in a minute. Delete and even mention of their website name if so desired. I donā€™t see it happening.

@trampa could give us a $99 USD one day special on VESC6 as makeup for doing nothing for us on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. They could lower the price of the VESC6 permanently to $150ā€¦ win the hearts and minds and wallets of our community. Now he will come in here and drone and drone about paying BV and employees and god save the queen. Slow moving avoidable but inevitable & guaranteed trainwreck in progress

12 Likes

This is very concisely stated, good on you.

Iā€™m gonna just put this out. If there is someone who can prove without doubt that the original VESC design was not BVā€™s in a well documented and cited thesis Iā€™ve got $100 I will PayPal you as soon as I have it in my email.

Furthermore, if there is someone who wants to completely rewrite the code so that none of BV/Trampa code is used making the software/firmware completely independant of the Trampa trademark (@Ackmaniac Iā€™m looking at you), completely open source, not for re-sale available to the world at large Iā€™ve got $1000 to give you. I realize that is just a drop in the bucket, considering the time it will take. I also think thereā€™s at least 5 other people/vendors in this thread that will match that donation, not too mention all the $5 donation that will flood in.

I feel for Ben, I really doā€¦butā€¦I think he shit all of his respectability down the toilet when he turned his legal and marketing mouthpiece out. Iā€™m done, putting my money where my mouth is.

10 Likes

Well, if that is the case, than it will be fixed ASAP. If you read the GPL V3, it gives violators the chance to cure any issues after notification from the copyright owner within 30 days. As soon as you realize that there is an issue you should fix it immediately. Iā€™m open to criticism and if someone points out an issue, it can be fixed. That is how things should work.

If you will go through this thread, then you will see, that I tried to keep it non specific to a certain project. There are quite a few OS-projects around in the world of e-skating, e-biking etc. Just wanted to create awareness.

The reason why I chose to come up with it was helping vendors understand the matter and create awareness. If you are aware of something, you can act accordingly. If you are not aware of something you are likely to fail in being compliant.

Is it a bad thing to be pointed to relevant information for your business? Probably not.

I didnā€™t come up with donations developer support and the likeā€¦ I try to stay on topic.

Frank

I have been OS developer for over a decade nowā€¦ My one of the biggest libraries are released under MIT and has over 50 billion installs and I have received 0 donations for my time spent on it and I donā€™t go to the forums and cry that oh well I did some work please pay me. You released your code as an open source project donā€™t expect money from it otherwise use a different license. I hate to see people who say oh itā€™s OS but please donā€™t forget to donate to it.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t come up that @Kug3lis. No outcry for donations.

Frank

10charā€¦

5 Likes

So according to you why donā€™t pay a cut for ChibiOS, Qt, GCC, and other libraries for the time spent on developing because without them there would not be spinning motor?

4 Likes

But that has nothing to do with this thread. That is a separate matter.

Thatā€™s not separate matter. Itā€™s talk about OS code and hardware and paying for it because you sell it.

7 Likes

So please stop all this non-sense, @trampa you yourself not include all required licenses and etc so just forget about it.

10 Likes

You are a Rock Star @Kug3lis, great info and glad to see it out there for EVERYONE to see. Is there such a thing as an open-source smack down :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Every time Frank shows up here, he is losing customers.

6 Likes

Frank are you doing this on endless Sphere and all the other forums ?

1 Like

Sorry for putting a discussion on. I wish you all a relaxing weekend.

Cheers, Frank

Put me down for $100 on top of that, as long as itā€™s a copylefted open-source license.

Also, I completely believe in open-source. I run all open-source software on my machines. However, I find it very difficult to believe that all of this is coming from the very person trying to kill off VESC with legal bullshit and trademarks.

4 Likes