Open Source Precision Trucks - Looking for design feedback

@GreasyGearsWRX

Finished machining some pretty complex components for my teamā€™s electric race car today! Iā€™m itching to machine a basic hangerā€¦

My daydream is to do basically a 5-7mm raked Rogue with an Aera K4 pivot tube.

3 Likes

So, what are the specs on the insert bushing? Although, I have a defined bushing seat it would be interesting to see whether there is any gain or not. Can I just go to the local sk8 store and buy some bushings put em on a lathe and change the size such that it fits in between the roadside and boardside bushing?

Yep, you can do that. Alternatively, get a taller bushing and lathe the end that goes into the hanger hole.

This is not a true cross section through the center of the king pin is it?

Yeah it is, changed the bushing seat thatā€™s why the bushings are a bit off :slight_smile:

My personal take on insert bushings are they are necessary if you do not have a bushing seat. Conversely, if you do have a bushing seat, they are unnecessary. If the bushing fits both the kingpin and the bushing seat, there will not be any slop.

1 Like

Hey guys, OP here. Iā€™ve been super busy but reading the updates to the thread and I have to say its really encouraging to see this topic catch fire.

I still feel we need this and its great to see it moving along.

Great ideas everyone.

FYI We run a prototyping shop with CNC etc when the time comes to make chips.

2 Likes

It all depends on the price. I have had not much luck so far, other than 3Dhubs which was around $300 including shipping for just the two hangers. Most quotes I received were well above $600ā€¦

Not me btw

2 Likes

People keep bringing up Ronins. A problem with the Ronin design is for one, the custom parts, and two, its a much harsher ride than standard kingpins.

If anyone goes that route with a custom truck, I suggest looking at the Valkyrie Voxter trucks.

Very similar concept as the Ronins, but replacing the expensive support pin with your bottom bushing. No extra parts, a much more cushioned ride with almost all of the same functionality.

3 Likes

They look nice. Have you actually ridden a set of Voxter & Katanas? I donā€™t find my Katanas harsh at all and my roll to stop distance is longer on my Ronin than my Aera. No rake is a deal breaker for me though :disappointed:

Iā€™ve got a set of cast ronins, not had any oportunity to ride voxters.

The harshness on ronins would only be slight. Definitely noticeable on my street luge though.

Holy shit please? Lol 0/3mm rake? :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Would be interesting to see how the uneven bushing pre-load with the kingpin nut and your weight works out?

Not sure Iā€™m following what you mean?

The hangar pivots from the pivot in the pivot cup. Because the two bushings are two different distances from the fixed pivot point as the hangar moves on that axis (of the pivot cup and kingpins) the travel (the compression of the two bushings) along the two kingpins will be different.

This will change the way the pre-load from the king pin nut works on the two bushings and how your weight works on them.

Ah, yes.

So normal RKP top bushing position experiences a lot more load because that distance from the bushing to the axle acts like a lever arm.

With the voxter arrangement the same bushing would feel harder, and would have less pre-load on it. Its probably a pretty noticeable difference.

Hereā€™s some ideas based on a problem Iā€™ve just run into

Adjustable baseplate in order to run on a tipped board - LaCroix, cool decks like this are going to be a thing in 2018 I think & like this but with an even more generous negative angle https://www.sickboards.nl/en/precision-trucks/889-surf-rodz-adjustable-base.html

Machined hanger ring which can mimic the profile of other common hanger types.

Call the trucks ā€˜Mimicā€™ precision open-source trucks

I think you are lost dude, trying to push square pegs in round holesā€¦

MTBā€™s are for 0 degree trucks, hence the angled tipsā€¦

just because you can does not mean you should. Arch and his bro have built a purpose built deck, purpose built, use it as intended dude, it will be great!