Open Source Precision Trucks - Looking for design feedback

The more I think about it, if I was going to DIY a billet hangar I’d duplicate what Rogue have done with the insert bushing. Essentially it is a third bushing between the two tall barrels that takes the place of a spherical bushing. Design is dead easy as it is just a round hole in the hangar to suit the insert bushing that then sits flush with the bushing seat.

I know @michichopf is a big fan of the Rogues, I have not tried them but I like the simple solution to the complex problem of latteral hangar movement.

1 Like

Please apologize for the silly question, but if you talk about rake on these various trucks is that positive or negative?

On a Ronin it is positive, A Aera can be flipped if you want, but the de rigueur of current DH set up is to reduce the truck angle especially in the rear to get stability and then run positive rake to get some turn/lean.

A product generation or so ago Kevin Reimer (former world DH champ) liked running a 50 degree front and a 48 degree rear baseplate that was a taller than std so he could flip his rear hangar to make the rear more stable. Lots of ways of getting the feel you are most comfortable with.

when he is having fun & going fast

Generally now most think 48-42 degree trucks in front/rear for symetrical & 35-15 degrees in the rear (well that is what is available) for asymetrical set ups… 5mm of positive rake is common.

absolutely. I am not saying they are the best trucks or anything. But nothing out there come close to them in the same price range (at least in my experience for fast free ride/downhill).

They are so much nicer than anyone expected honestly. Check for any reviews, on any given website or shop. No one is quite sure whey they are so cheap.

1 Like

Thanks! 10char

Would make a better std eSk8 truck than a caliber IMO, they have a square profile to boot!

there is your design template kids, easier than a ronin to design, just make it a bit wider. Keep the hole in the hangar that is for the insert bushing and keep the large pivot as well that is also shouldering some of the lateral load.

1 Like

Regarding Rogue inserts, you should size it the same as the precisions Rogues, not the cast so you can use the spherical if you want or RipTide Kore’s for less vibration. Here are the spherical dimensions you need to match, open the hanger hole a couple of thousandth to make it a slip fit, not a press fit!: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-com6/overview/

2 Likes

My man @Alphamail coming through!

@Cobber @michichopf I’m curious as to how well this 3rd bushing concept works for the rogues. How does it change the ride? Also, how do the Rogues stack up versus the Katanas?

I can’t wait to combine this with the reproduction Batray! Rich is still on vacation right now, but hopefully we’ll hit the ground running when he gets back.

Hmmm, so if I had to guess, these bushing inserts rogue is referring to is basically eliminating the shaft play between the hanger and the kingpin right? Basically gives you a more defined center point like a Ronin and eliminates the steppiness in your heel to toe/toe to heel side transitions huh? If so that’s pretty ingenious.

1 Like

well katanas and rogues isn’t really a comparison. Rogues are what like 80$ and katanas 450.- ?

The insert bushing isn’t noticeable in reactionary ways. But negates slope and makes the bushing reaction more linear instead of snappy.

1 Like

Well I was more referring to precision rogues vs katanas and how the 2 systems (insert bushing versus pivot point) compare to one another.

1 Like

Any truck that does not have a defined bushing seat needs another way to locate the kingpin in the center of the hanger. Rogue uses the insert and Ronin uses the pin

1 Like

Would having a bushing seat with rogue’s insert bushing concept be worth exploring? I just like stepped bushing seats because it gives me options as to which bushings I can use to control the rebound and lean.

1 Like

If you have a good bushing seat and the bushing fits the seat and the kingpin, there is no need for the insert bushing! An insert bushing or spherical, especially using talls, just makes the truck taller.

1 Like

Hmmm, makes sense. I guess that’s what makes Rogue trucks desirable. The fact that their insert bushing provides a defined centerpoint while the lack of a defined bushing seat allows them to lean more deeply than other trucks.

The downside is everything depends on the insert bushing…

1 Like

Could you yourself produce insert bushings for the Rogues?

1 Like

We already make them for Rogue Precision and Don’t Trip trucks: http://www.riptidesports.com/spherical-bushings-1/

2 Likes

Not a necessarily a bad thing for a eSk8 truck though, regular trucks don’t acomodate +90mm wheels with out a stack of risers…

2 Likes

I mean even then the truck wouldn’t have to necessarily be taller depending on the design of the baseplate.