Open Source Precision Trucks - Looking for design feedback

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m-active-differential.jpg

1 Like

Cnc Ronin trucks with carvon v3 style hubs would be a dream. I have belt drive with these trucks but canā€™t use their 35Ā° baseplates in reverse mount setup because of motor clearance

@saul

Hey man, yeah you donā€™t need to worry about patent infringement unless you sell something based on a patented design. That being said, Iā€™m no lawyer. The other thing is you can sell what ever you want. It is the patent holders choice/obligation to prove you violated their patent. i.e. they may give no F&%ks. :slight_smile:

I like your idea of having the ability to use cast base plates.

Itā€™s cheaper to purchase complete cast trucks unfortunately. The baseplates donā€™t come with, suport pins, support pin cups, washers, bushings, axle nuts, and probably pivot tubes.

That being said @mainstreet I think there are files of Ronin trucks online (donā€™t know how accurate), but Iā€™d be happy to pay and do any testing of Roninā€™s if you decide to do hub motors. I realise if you do Roninā€™s it will be niche category since the cost will be high, basically just for people that really really like Roninā€™s

lmao you guys know nothing

How about that pic? Then we know something.

Make the hangers 10 inches wide.

3 Likes

Fully independed suspension on each wheel, but you have to use anything BUT the classical linkage design as in car suspensions/ baja boards etc. Also I want a juicero integrated in the front truck. Also all the ieas mentioned above also should be included.

kkthnx

squishy pulled this back from the deadā€¦

Any one doing this needs to look at what works and what is the best! two different things IMO

None of this is practical but look at the shape of the Aera k5ā€™s. The hanger is only 164mm wideā€¦

this is a improvement over the k3ā€™s

and k4ā€™s

the hanger has moved towards a triangle shape and it works better than the k4 surfrod type support with extra material on the top of the hanger.

Similarly the base plates have got as wide as they can so they are stronger with less deflection. All of this adds to more precision and a tighter feel.

the k5 base plates

and the k3/4 plates notice they are narrower

Personally I think the average rider puts his eSk8 trucks under more load than gravity trucks because of the change in forces the driven wheels can apply are additive to the load applied to ridding them. Although if this is as much as a DH beast skidding down a mountain that is another question.

3 Likes

Just wondering about the forces acting on the Evolve GT hanger? Would be interesting to analyze a few hanger shapes using FEA.

Lol I can no longer take anything you say with any form or seriousness

Edit I realized the age of the postā€¦but still.lol

4 Likes

Iā€™m just gonna throw this out there. The 3 piece system used on the surfrodz (baseplate, bushing seat, hanger) is about unbeatable imo. I would suggest less facets in the hanger and a larger rotation in the bushing seat as the only real improvements.

1 Like

100%

Just need a 200mm hangerā€¦gotta get a set made.

1 Like

That would be great. Iā€™ve got the 177s with 80mm axles. Itā€™s hard to ride calibers now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got the surfrodz 200mm rkp Iā€™ve been riding analog with while waiting for other thingsā€¦ It is hard to ride non precision afterwards lol

3 Likes

Yeah it is. Honestly im not a big Calibur fan anyways. I like my Paris 195s a lot more, but the TB 218s are nice for the size. The surfrodz will prolly always be in my main board though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is simple. I want a 12mm axle hole that goes straight through the whole truck, end-to-end

So I can put any size 8mm to 12mm in there and any length I want

So if, for example, I wanted to cut the trucks off 2cm from the kingpins and slide motors OVER the axles I could even do that.

Or I could put a longer axle in there if I want to use Electric Flywheels instead of SuperFly wheels.

Or I could put an 8mm or 10mm or 12mm axle in it. Or an axle evolve-style that was 8mm but stepped up to 10mm where the pulley goes

1 Like

WTFeverā€¦ Totally false statement

2 Likes