Open Source Precision Trucks and Hub Motors Project

Agreed. I don’t want to go with planetary. I want to go as simple as possible while still achieving my goals.

Hey guys! It’s been a while since I’ve worked on this project, but I started back on it recently. I decided to go with a Caliber II compatible hanger, so that I won’t have to design my own baseplate. I used @Alphamail’s bushing seat dimensions he recommended earlier in the thread. I also took a different approach to cooling - instead of having a closed off motor, I designed it so that the end caps of the motor are actually fan blades that push air thru the motor, directly cooling the stator. I also designed the endcaps to fit into the rotor without any bolts, so that it only requires 1 centerlock nut for the 10mm axle to fit the whole thing together (other than the stator, which will be epoxied on). Who knows how well this will work, but hey! Why not try it? :slight_smile: Anyways, here are some photos:

Truck%20With%20Hub%20Motors%20v85%202 Truck%20With%20Hub%20Motors%20v85 Truck%20With%20Hub%20Motors%20v85%203 Truck%20With%20Hub%20Motors%20v85%204 Truck%20With%20Hub%20Motors%20v85%205

5 Likes

How will you solve the problem with dirt being blown into the engine?

1 Like

I was thinking of somehow attaching a super fine mesh on the inside of the fan blades.

Something like stocking material might work.

2 Likes

That could work. @trampa made a thread about sealing the motors he’s selling. Maybe some of that will work.

Are you machining this yourself? If not have you gotten a quote on the machining?

1 Like

Hey guys, I haven’t changed my design much since I last posted. I got a bit discouraged, because I honestly have no idea how to machine this thing. I also know very little about how I would go about getting the stator made. One change I want to make to the model is simplify the design of the end caps and make the fan blades a separate 3D printed object. Milling fan blades out of metal seems really difficult and expensive.

2 Likes

I know your pain, here is an idea to cheer up a bit : you should try straight cut centrifugal blades, instead of sucking air in it will suck air out of your motor (you need holes on the other side). It is easier to machine and as efficient in airflow cooling, while stressing less airdrag.

Forced intake is more useful if you intend to use the air as a propelling force.

You can get custom stators from China but it’s better to start off an existing model cause it’s one less thing to build. Rotor is bound to be expensive, can’t help out with that.

1 Like

I really like the idea of using centrifugal blades to cool the motor, but I can’t think of how I could fit it in there.

1 Like

There seems to be spare room between the truck and the wheel ? If fins are thin enough it’ll do the job

1 Like

I have a new idea for a way to cool the motor. What if the endcaps have fins on them that act as a spinning heatsink? Here’s a photo of a quadcopter motor that uses this method:Brotherhobby-Tornado-T2-2206-2600KV-Motor-feature-1024x768 What do y’all think? Oh, and one more question: what axle diameter should I use? Right now the design uses 10mm axles. I remember reading that Enertion had to beef up the axles in the Raptor 2 hubs because 10mm was too weak.

1 Like

12mm is the best, 10mm will work if it’s strong metal

1 Like

Gotcha. I’m gonna redesign the axles to be 12mm then; above all else, I want these motors to be tough.