Open Source Motor Mount

Where do you get this 10mm figure from? I totally agree that looks way too weak, just wondering if there is some standard or something you are basing that on?

the “clamp” walls look a bit thin. The caliber hole should be ~1.8cm wide - according to the drawing that would leave less than half of this as material on your mount for the clamp screw. That is probably not enough.

lots of real world testing of various materials over the last 3 years

2 Likes

Sweet, so would you say anything load bearing made of aluminium thinner than 10mm by 10mm is a bit suspect?

He just said thickness! One dimension should be 10mm - the other can be less. Look at the plate thickness on torqueboards mount - that is ~6mm if I remember correctly.

I know, I guess that’s just what I’m trying to figure out. I’m new to working with aluminium so not really sure how much to trust it. sorry, probably asking all the wrong questions! Just trying to brain pick :slight_smile:

6mm 6061 will be fine. 10mm isn’t needed. The only reason why I had motor mounts that have broken in the past were due to making it too complicated and having stress points by adding too many bolt holes where they shouldn’t be which affects the strength and durability of the motor mount. But I’ve also upgraded my motor mounts to 7075 which make it much stronger.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Before making the mount i didn’t understand how cmc milling worked and didn’t realise that this design would be too complicated. I originally had 2 piece mount (the motor part and the clamp) but then realised i wouldn’t be able to adjust the belt tension but didn’t want to make it the same as the other designs so i put it on the side not realising it would be a weak point.

Ive sent the design to get 3d printed in cheap plastic to see how it fits together with paris trucks and my motor. Using this i will make a new design with a simpler layout but with the same needed features and maybe more unique features if i can think of some, whilst keeping a simple design.

This has been good as i can read the feedback and make improvements.

Thank you!

2 Likes