Onewheel Build Guide

what are your specs? I am looking to decide on if your style wheel will get me the speed i want.

I figured it out. When updating the vesc I had manage to set the motor to sensor less. Now it is working as expected :smiley:

Since people are asking about geared setups, this is my current setup, it is using all mountainboard parts, and differential drive for steering (imu + channel truck = joystick). It is fast and torquey, and works surprisingly well.

Potato quality gif: https://www.instagram.com/p/B88Tr7Ugi0k/

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

3 Likes

I’m in a tech school right now, we call the configurations delta and wye. It took me a bit to figure out what you meant. But I hope to start building my OW soon.

1 Like

I hope to be using a superfoc 6.8 in my build. Does anyone know how well it works?

1 Like

It is in a wye/star configuration. If I’m not mistaken, with the delta configuration you will have a high voltage across the coils. That will increase the speed, but the torque decrease due to lower current through each, that is if you are consuming the same line current. With the wye/star configuration the inductance of each coil is added to the one in front of it when current flows through. The reactance (assume that the reactance remains the same) then increases and the current decreases. But in a delta configuration you then have a high voltage across the phase and then it will require more current based on ohms law… I think I’m remembering correctly with three phase. It will then consume more current with the junction between phases. I probably derailed somewhere in my thinking listed above. But if not then with a delta configuration it sucks more current? I have not yet reached three phase motors in tech class but will soon. I don’t know if any of the listed info is applicable to three phase motors. Lmk if it is, i would honestly like to know whether I’m right or wrong.

I know something is wrong with what i just said, but i don’t know what.

Addition: I have just tested out rewiring brushless motors and i found that one motor sucked 0.4A and the other identical rewired version sucked 1.4A

Is anyone still active on this forum?

And might I ask how one wires up the foot pad sensors to the VESC?

1 Like

3.3V (VCC) → footpad #1 → ADC1
3.3V (VCC) → footpad #2 → ADC2

1 Like

Okay, thanks.

Hi there I have a PeiPei hub motor 600W 48V What speed are people running these at

When you wire these, do you make a voltage divider to ground, or just wire 3.3V to ADC1 through the switch? And what resistance do they want between 3.3V and ADC1?

I currently have a setup with a push button switch instead of a footpad, and I have it wired

Vcc ------(100K)--------(Normally open switch)---------|-----(10K)---------Ground

ADC1

I hope I am not over stressing the 3V line, I am seeing problems where the balance app is throwing a lot of faults. It will start up and is somewhat ride able but will cut out after it runs a bit.

3V3 regulator can supply 800mA (on the 4.12HW anyway). With ithat 100K resistor in series with the switch there is no chance you will overstress the MCU or the 3V3 regulator. You only need enough resistance to ensure not more than 25mA is being sunk by the MCU. The pull-down shouldn’t hurt. However, I am not sure what the threhshold voltage is for the Balance app to set the switch state to ‘closed’ so it might be more consistent if you replace the 100K with a 10K so you will at least get >1.0V at the ADC pin.

What kind of faults?

I cannot tell what kind of faults they are. When I connect the VESC to a computer and ask for what faults I am seeing, it says there are no faults since startup.

When I say faults, I mean the “State” flickers between fault and running. However at the same time the “switches” will say true or whatever so the reason it goes to the fault state is not because the switch has intermittent connection.

Just yesterday I implemented a 100ms “fault delay” and that seemed to fix a lot of it. I was able to ride my wheel halfway around the building, but today when I tried to ride it I just blew up my VESC!!! Maybe these things are related? I have the VESC 6 from trampa, and these were the symptoms I saw:

As I said yesterday I was riding and made it maybe 50 yards or so, then I put it in my trunk as per usual and the VESC is designed to shut itself off. Today when I tried to turn it on, it didn’t. I tried to connect via USB, and it also wouldn’t connect, and said I needed to make sure the vesc had power etc. I could visually see none of the LED’s on the VESC on. At that point I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. When I started to reconnect the battery there was a spark along my quick disconnect, so I didn’t finish connecting the battery. My 60 amp automotive fuse didn’t blow but I could smell some magic smoke(no visual smoke). At this point I checked the battery volage and it was in the middle of its range at 23V, and I disconnected the motors. I tried one more time to connect power, again sparks and I smelled a little more magic smoke smell(but no visual smoke). I took the VESC apart a bit and the smell is coming from the fett/shunt area.

Anyone who can help me out with what might have happened I am all ears.

FET has died from the sounds of it. Might not be obviously visually evident. This would explain your VESCTOOL issues. Until you have a 100% working VESC further issues cannot be diagnosed

Are people building apps for these

Has anyone tried one of these wheels

and then replaced the tire with this tire to reduce the diameter. It should also reduce the load on the motor.

I thought it might be interesting to replace the tire and hopefully have more power than the 188

1 Like

I haven’t heard of to many, but that doesn’t mean people aren’t.

Hi i am having a very similar problem I’ve wired my mpu9250 to my vesc 4.12 and i cannot get any sign that the mpu is actually connected. I have it wired the same way. I was wondering if it was something i had to activate in the vesc tool but i am completely lost any help would be amazing thanks

My email is [email protected]

Hey all, long time lurker of this thread, been following and collecting the parts/materials needed for the build and am just missing a few more things.

As for parts, correct me if I’m wrong but I think the phub-188 peipei motor will be OK paired with a 12s4p 18650 pack, 12s Common port BMS, a Maytech (aliexpress) vesc4.12, mpu9250 IMU.

Not looking to do more than 25km/h, so hopefully I can keep nosedives to a minimum.

Lastly, is there anyway to link the vesc PID’s with a phone to change the parameters while outside? I know its do-able with a vesc 6+ but if anyone has a method let me know.

1 Like

Does anyone know what my problem might be? I have mt superfoc vesc and I tried to test out the MPU with it. I am using a 6050 MPU and I set the IMU setting to the MPU9X50. I have changed the app settings to use the balance app. I have not received any data from the MPU, can anyone help? This is my senior project for school and I have due dates so help soon would be great.

Thanks, Matt