Onewheel Build Guide

Here are the links he cant post :smiley:

I guess because he is a new user.

Impressive, would you mind sharing link to the wheel that you used?

Sure looks like the Phub-188 or other from

Peipeiscooter

@ZbLaB fantastic work with the routing. I really like the USB extension to the vesc. Looks very well thought out. Would you share your plans or designs with us?

What’s your budget?

What size diameter do you want?

What voltage you gonna run?

Phub-44 looks ideal (size wise) but underpowered and sold in a lot of 10. If we were about to buy more there should be no problem to have it customised. @ZbLaB will you be able to compare it to original ow and estimate parameters like KV knowing that 12S should be maximum?

I made some changes to my onewheel last week. I took the plunge and opened up the phub-188 to see the inert. My goal was to see how it’s winded and connected inside. I will post some pictures of the inside of the hubmotor next time.

What i find out is that the motor is star winded. Re configuring this to a delta winding makes the KV 1,7x greater. The stock KV of the Phub-188 is 10. Meaning winding it to delta we would get a KV of 17. Downside is that the torque gets divided by 1,7. Since to torque of the stock Phub-188 is pretty high this shouldn’t be a problem. So I changed the winding from star to delta. Result is that my top speed on 12s increased from max. 19kmh to a steady 21Kmh. I still had powered left and in theory I should be able to reach a speed of ±30Kmh with this setup. Since I didn’t wear any protection I was afraid to go faster.

I will post some details about this mod once I have tested it some more.

7 Likes

Maybe is worth to wait a bit for the vesc FOCer is up to 20s and it has a IMU built in. Beta units are assembled as we speak.

3 Likes

How complex is this rewiring? Did you toss all the original copper, or did you just unwind and rewind the original wires? Did you have cut or solder anything? Was it all glued together?

Thanks for the pictures, OW shaft is really beefier compared to all the Phubs.

Is there any BMS comparable to DieBieMS for more than 12S? Also what about BT modules, will FOCer work with metr?

1 Like

I did some self edumacating, it seems changing from star to delta is just modifying the terminating ends, no actual rewinding required.

I’m gonna open mine up and give it a looky look.

4 Likes

A buddy has that motor and he says it is super weak and underpowered.

You mean Phub-44? It looks like I’d have to reconsider moving higher than 12S with this build.

2 Likes

It is pretty easy actually!

The side covers of the Phub-188 are held in place by the 8 screws and some silicon kit. I gave the axle a gentle tap to ‘brake’ the silicon kit loose from one of the side cover plates.

Configuring it from start to delta took some tinkering but in the end it’s really easy. I didn’t have to remove any of the windings, all I did was resolder the start and end of each winding of the motor. Currently all 3 ends of the windings are soldered together. The 3 starting points of the windings go to the vesc. When opening up the motor and looking from the top to the starts and ends of these windings you can see there are 6 small bundles of wires coming out of the stator. reading them counterclockwise gives E1, E2, E3, S1, S2, S3 (E=End, S=Start). All you need to do is connect S1 to E2, S2 to E3 and S3 to E1. These 3 individual connections each need to be connected to 1 of the 3 wires from the vesc. I will try to make a small schematic drawing if someone is interested in it.

Some pictures of the motor. Build wuality is pretty good, Windings look reasonable. Only thing I noticed is that the shaft of the Phub188 is made from really soft steel. Will see how it will handle after a while.

4 Likes

Can you tel by looking at the original onewheel hubmotor if it’s delta or star connected ?

That shouldn’t really matter that much I suppose, the forces are not that large. BTW: Looking at those wires OW motor looks like much lower KV and Phub188 is already around KV10. That gives high torque while going slow while 16S allows for high speed. Am I right?

That shouldn’t really matter that much I suppose, the forces are not that large.

I think you right, the ow motor shaft is aluminium. @Remieknaapen i don’t have a plan to open it soon, I will keep it in mind for next time

1 Like

Can’t really say much about the windings, they look pretty simulair to me. Beside that the kv also depends on stator size, magnets and a few more things. I do think that the kv of the onewheel motor is ±10kv, same as the phub-188. Running it on 15 or 16s and using a tire with a diameter of 290mm makes it go 30kph.

1 Like

onewheel motor unloaded goes almost 30mph much faster than kph. tiltback is at 16mph, but i ride with friends going 22mph on onewheels all the time.

2 Likes

According to my calculations my modified phub-188 does about 24mph unloaded. Not really comparable with the xr. But looks like i will be able to reach pint speed. Also my board in dimensions, weigth and range is more comparable with the Pint then the Xr.

2 Likes

I just got my onewheel fully working and had a day of testing. I turn it on the next day (No changes at all) and it has some weird behavior. When I tilt forward it takes a little while to respond and jerks all of a sudden. Same for tilting back. Seems like the PID output doesn’t match my pitch output for some reason. Am I right that this is the case? Or is there another problem?

Thanks!

1 Like