Onewheel Build Guide

that’s not true, brushless motors will work at any voltage (to a extent) until the voltage is high enough for the windings to arc you won’t have any issues, and even when the wingdings do arc it is not going to cause a cooked motor.

also 48v is nominal voltage, 48v usually stands for 13s, 13s fully charged is 54.6v

2 Likes

Your bearings will crap out way before your windings are going to arc…

1 Like

In the other thread some people did a group purchase of 10x of these 11 inch wheels: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/11inch-350w-500w-wide-tire-hub-motor-phub-44/1470068_32536443206.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.4.350c51f63QudcB

Less info on them in the listing compared to the 10 inch ones though.

This is simply not true.

The main limiting factor on brushless motors is amps which leads to overheating if the amps are too high. The amount of amps is relative to the load you put on your motor and esc settings. Voltage just controls max rpm.

Also a 12s battery under load will be closer to 45 - 48 volts, so the 48v ratting is actually 12s.

If its rated at 15a x 48v thats 720 watts. You could easily run it at 10a x 60v = 600 watts, it would run cooler. You would just lose some low speed torque in exchange for higher top speed.

2 Likes

As long as the motor stays cool there is no problem. This only works with an Vesc that is constant currenting. An regular bldc controller would fry and motor by over volting it, beacuse it would instantly draw more amps than it can handle

Anyway… the 36V and 48V motor is the same :stuck_out_tongue:

2019-05-23%2009_37_36-Alibaba%20Manufacturer%20Directory%20-%20Suppliers%2C%20Manufacturers%2C%20Exporters%20%26%20Importers

1 Like

hahahah thats funny.

Want to join our whatts app? (me fungineers and a few others)

Unlikely.

We use the same type of outrunners in RC helicopters with 12s and more than double the kv without problems.

Edit: Cafeine has not kicked in yet. Just saw this is not about normal esk8 motors. Disregard my remark.

I think what @FredrikHems said is not falsified by your statement both can be true.

I think he is talking more like 1000 volts.

But I dont think its the bearings that break first. What happens first is the bell starts to expand, then becomes unbalanced, then explodes. There is a youtube video where the do that. I think the motor rpm is like 80k - 100k they explode.

They could probably go to 150k rpm if they were designed for that. Above that I think you need oil bearings.

Now I want to research highest rpm motors.

Edit, Found the video, explodes at 200k rpm. :laughing:

5 Likes

what thread?

has anyone had succes with max’s code yet, i want to build a onewheel and make a very clear full tutorial on my youtube channel(homemade madness), but im no arduino expert

1 Like

@MaxGoldenson what’s the deal with the two foot switches, is one intended for front, and one for rear? i had in mind that i’d only need one, and put it on the front foot, so i could disengage motors etc when the rear of the board is down (ie as i get on/off the deck)

2 sensor in front, release 1 to disengage. You can’t put the tail down before disengage :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I get what you’re saying about not putting the rear down while it’s engaged (else the motor would try to drive backwards until you release the switch) that was bad phrasing on my part.

I still don’t get what the second switch does. In my mind Boarding:

• Left foot on rear (rear down)
  • Right foot & pressure on front, brings front and rear level.
  • Slide front foot to Engage switch, board now begins to respond to tilt sensor, and adjusts motor speed according.

Dismount/dead man’s switch:

• release switch ( still riding, feet still in position).
  • Motor stops responding to tilt, all balance manually performed by rider.
  • When stationary (or slightly moving for rad sparks) put the rear down.
  • Remove front foot.
  • Crowd goes wild, ladies swoon, a bald eagle sheds a single tear.
2 Likes

I am a little bit exited as well… But the guy from PEI SCOOTER is horrible in communitcations and shipping speed. Parcel is still not at the shipping company. I dont expect the wheel in germany within the next two weeks.

2019-06-26%2009_36_08-My%C2%A0AliExpress%20_%20Manage%C2%A0Orders

I believe the two pressure sensors go on both sides because in theory you should be able to ride in both ways.

@stefanme don’t leave it! We need you to develop this!!! I was so happy the day I see you coming to this thread :slight_smile:

@Sc0urge, the Onewheel has two sensors in the front pad to engage/disengage. It works when you are pressing both of them then the motor engage, until there is clear, the funny part comes when you have to disengage, you have to lift your heel from the pad while you toes still pressing the another sensor and you are stationary, then disengage happens.

300px-Sensor

Hey guys, been working hard these past few weeks. The mechanical assembly is almost done. The hard part is the code which Im working on. @Remieknaapen and @MaxGoldenson are also working on the same thing so might have one soon!

Im gonna post updates on the YouTube channel regularly:

6 Likes

nice, ill be watching :slight_smile: