Onewheel Build Guide

Difficult to tell what was happening, you need to debug it, print values, maybe use filters, also maybe a better MCU. Don’t cheap on this, get a decent from a decent vendor.

You just need to download VESC tool, plug in your controller and it will tell you the you need to upgrade the firmware, that is it… after that you connect the MUC to the I2C port on the VESC… from what I read flipskys are not really good for balancing robots…you might consider upgrading for a original Vesc 6, it already has MCU on board (newer models).

I’m planing something similar, but with iPhone, my setup will have a VESC, and a BLE module, but the balancing control will be on VESC, the BLE module will control led strips and getting info to my iPhone custom app. BTW I’m gonna use this module as BLE and LED drives: Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express

He was probably using vscode to compile Arduino codes, it’s the same thing, but a different IDE, I highly recommend you looking into this, it will save HOURS and HOURS of development, Arduino IDE SUCKS, vscode has so many features. Google “particle io” and “vscode”

A lot of people where complaining that 12S might not be good enough, so you will need to be careful and avoid high speeds on your board.

2 Likes

If you use an external IMU module with a cheaper/older VESC it has to go through the I2C port, this means you can no longer use this port for a bluetooth adapter or anything else. However if you get the trampa VESC or the soon to be out cheap FOCer, then you can use the onboard IMU and connect an external bluetooth module or even your own ardiuno setup that can control LEDs or whatever.

1 Like

Finally someone who knows what they’re talking about!

I just want to add, that in a “onewheel”/EUB/FUNwheel configuration 30a motor max will be quite easy to overpower, so id crank it all the way up.

My current setup has 2 vesc with 120a max on each, and i can still nosedive it if I really want to, but i really have to try.

2 Likes

omg, completely forgot that rx/tx port are the same on Vesc as i2c, there it go my plans to use vesc75/300 with an IMU and a teensy to handle some lights… Do you know if vesc100/250 will have an IMU?

I think the 75/300 actually has an IMU, but id check with trampa before investing $$$ in that for sure!

1 Like

No IMU there, no IMU in the advertisement…no IMU on the 75/300. Connect the Teensy via CAN.

3 Likes

I had no idea you could build a diy one of these

1 Like

Thank you so much! Now it is all clear.

1 Like

It’s been a while, but I’ve made some progress! The new frame is all 3d printed, with aluminum side rails and wheel mounts. I’m working on a blog post, with the details.

Also wanted some advice on the VESC balance app. How does the ride on that compare to the actual OneWheel? Currently, I’m rolling my own PID loop on an ESP32, but I’m wondering if it’s worth the effort, or if I should just switch the VESC balance app. It’s not as smooth as I’d like it to be atm.

12 Likes

Hi,

I have finally received a new 12S bms, I have try this evening to setup the fsesc, but I don’t understand why my motor is always in dead status when I try to put an hard angle to the imu, I cannot just release the velostat sensor to reboot I have to rewrite the app application to be again in a faulty state. I also have some strange noises like “klak” sometimes.

Hi all ,

I finally retry calibration of my IMU, I change some settings about PID P = 6 and D= 120 I put madwick to 0,1 And tonight the onewheel clone was working great !! thanks to all for the help Later I will make some bumpers , fix 2 rolls on the nose to avoid nose dive and change my seat car sensor with velostat build.

1 Like

Help! I just received my BMI160 External IMU and I am trying to use it with my FSESC 4.12. I connected VIN to 3.3v, GND to -, SDA to RX and SCL to TX. After selecting the correct IMU type in the VESC tool, I started plotting but I only get constantly widening values. (like a y = 1/2x graph) Am I doing something wrong? I also have an MPU 6050, but I cant find it in the IMU drop down. I would be thrilled I could use it somehow. Thanks!

IMU6050 is the same setting as IMU9050, the 9050 actualy has a 6050 on board and magnometer so the code is the same.

Im not sure what you mean by widening values. Can you share some screenshots of the graph and you IMU config? Also if you join the telegram room it will be easier to help.

I really liked this build. Probably for favorable for a simpler onewheel. It uses a smaller wheel at the bottom to maintain balance instead of a gyro, and uses a pulley system instead.

Just curious, if I did pursue a system without hub motors and with the pulley system in the video, how much kv would I need? And how would the battery and motor controller setup work also?

1 Like

You should use a esk8 calculator, but you could adjust the gear ratio for whatever KV motor you have/can get.

Battery you would want to be a 10S or 12S, and the ESC should be one of good quality (not a fsesc).

Looking for feed back on a onewheel build, i would like to stack a 1000w 48v motor on top of a 15.5 in dia wheel belt driven. i would use a vesc and mpu gyro for balancing with 2 48v 1000w 12 ah batteries in parallel. I was also wondering how fast your hub motor builds go and what range. Any suggestions or useful info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

1 Like

I have a single motor Focbox (older version), and was curious if that would work. If so, that means I would be using one motor to power the Onewheel. Would that be reasonable?

I’ll take a look at the esk8 calculator as well.

1 Like

@R.lynskey can you post links to the parts you are planning to use?

@NuclearDynamic single motor is fine what wheel/tire were you planning to use?

Both your builds sound fine, you would want a speed of around 15-20mph to be enjoyable.

I would recommend using a CAD program to figure out all the dimensions you would need and find suitable enclosures or make them.

Not sure, was just throwing some ideas. I probably will cad most of it to work out the specifics…

1 Like

I have an interesting issue I cant figure out. Any input would be welcome.

When not under load everything works well. But when under load (when I stand on it) it change direction and goes the wrong way. Never seen this before.

1 Like