Onewheel Build Guide

onewheel motor unloaded goes almost 30mph much faster than kph. tiltback is at 16mph, but i ride with friends going 22mph on onewheels all the time.

2 Likes

According to my calculations my modified phub-188 does about 24mph unloaded. Not really comparable with the xr. But looks like i will be able to reach pint speed. Also my board in dimensions, weigth and range is more comparable with the Pint then the Xr.

2 Likes

I just got my onewheel fully working and had a day of testing. I turn it on the next day (No changes at all) and it has some weird behavior. When I tilt forward it takes a little while to respond and jerks all of a sudden. Same for tilting back. Seems like the PID output doesn’t match my pitch output for some reason. Am I right that this is the case? Or is there another problem?

Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe your gyro drifted and needs recalibration?

1 Like

Another XR motor with is Vega going for $490 And a v1 motor got sold for $175

I thought I’d share my progress! I now have a working prototype. I’m using an ESP32, a VESC, and a steel frame made of 1inch square tubing. I’ve also got a mobile app which connects with bluetooth for tuning the PID loop. My end goal is to implement digital shaping, just like the actual OneWheel!

screenshot_20190710-221306_onewheel-1-2

6 Likes

Looks Good! Can you tell us a bit more about what components you are using? And it looks like you have some kind of remote or maybe a trigger in your hand to activate the board am i right?

Thanks! So the thing in my hand is actually just an on/off switch. This current version doesn’t have any weight sensor pads, so I just needed some way to enable and disable the motor. The next version should have those pads, and will eliminate that switch.

I’ve got a blog post here with all the details. The one in this post is an older version with a different wheel, but my current version is almost exactly the same, just with the wider wheel.

4 Likes

I can hardly tell the difference between that and the actual OneWheel. Nice! Do you have details on how you constructed the frame?

1 Like

What wheel is your new one? Do you have a link?

Hi guys I’m trying to configure my IMU. I think I did everything right but when I’m looking at the graph of angles it’s seems that the axis are drifting away from there original position. My gyro is pretty much centered and my accelerometer to. Do somebody knows what to do ? Thanks !

Did you correct all the axis of the MPU? I only centered the axis that is used for balancing the board. I did try to correct and center all axis at first but that also resulted in a lot of drifting.

Fine thanks it’s working better now ! Other little problem I think is that I can’t make the motor spin properly. When I’m uploading the app data on the vesc the motors makes a spin but later nothing more. Even when the imu is flat it doesn’t make the motor spin in either direction. Any ideas ? Thanks again

That’s probably because there is no load on the motor. Set your cutoff duty cycle to 1 and the wheel should keep spinning untill you let go the footpad sensors or shut it of if you don’t have any sensors yet. Just be carefull!

1 Like

Seems to work a little bit better thanks ! I think I need to have the peihub motor to do real test. So I’ll wait

Updated blog post on my version. Lots of build details for those of you who are curious!

I’m hoping for the next version to do aluminum rails, along with 3d printed bumpers and footpads, like @Remieknaapen has done. I’ll also probably be be removing the ESP32, and using the VESC balance app.

4 Likes

So I just started the assembly of my own onewheel, now that all my parts have finally arrived, and I’m a little confused. The vesc I’m using has 6 wires for the hall effect sensors, but the motor I’m using (phub 188) only has 5 hall effect wires? What do I do with the extra wire coming from the vesc?? Thanks!

1 Like

The Vecs has a Temp. sensor input connection. The phub 188 doesn’t have a temp sensor so you don’t need to connect anything to the vesc temp. Sensor input.

For the other connections; Red wire from the phub 188 is 5v, Black wire is ground, and the other three wires are the hall signal wires and can be wired randomly to the vesc hall ports.

2 Likes

Hey guys I started a telegram chat room for real time talking about diy self balancing stuff.

https://t.me/joinchat/JP0KNxbguWM5KhHrT5_CYA

2 Likes

Today I made range test on my vesc onewheel. I have about 95 kg, there is about 6*C outside (quite cold). I made 10,5 km and my 6000 mAh 12s2p sony vtc6 battery still performs but I had enough :). Voltage dropped from 50,4 to 44,6V so there was some juice left. Max speed achieved was 22 km/h. I think that in summer it will be able to reach about 18-20 km with me.

Here is small video about my board:

2 Likes