One R-Spec motor hotter than the other [solved]

So after opening it up and seperating all the bundles as much as i could it still shorted between all three phases, so it seems the fault is deeper than i expected. Found two spots where there had been some burn damage, propably where the insulation had scraped off. Those i could pull out of the casing and seperate from any other metal parts. A few strands had burned off completely, but managed to get them into the open air as well. One phase wire is too short to do anything with, but couldn’t see any damage to it, which is odd since that shorts to the other two as well.

So, yea, i kinda ran into a wall on this one. Put it all back, since i don’t want to do anything irreversible, though i’m fearing it’s gonna need a major overhaul anyway.

So, what’re my options now?

1 Like

What ESC where you using? What was the MAX amps these were getting?

Using the vesc. Motor max is set at 60, batt max 15. Motor min is -15 if I remember correctly.

But if what you said about the angles of the cables being the propable cause, then that’s really on me.

Are there burn marks Or is it broken from stress?

Burn marks. There are some signs of abrasion against the body where the cables are wrapped around. My guess is the insulation has been rubbed off some of the stands causing a short circuit, thus burning off the stands. There were four or five loose stands inside, so possibly one or two have contacted with another phase wire. One had been fused to the body.

Well, after inspecting the other motor a bit more carefully it shows the same kind of wear, it just hasn’t gone critical yet. So it’s pretty certain the way i mounted them was less than ideal. Now I know and you guys know, don’t mount the motors the way i did, they will break unless you fasten the wires inside the can somehow.

I’m thinking of ponying up for a new set and rewinding these for science, i’m not gonna trust them to perform as they are right now.

@onloop @carl.1

For the record i have always warned people not to mount that way. I am sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Must have missed it, oh well. Thanks for helping out with the troubleshooting nonetheless, much appreciated.

Currently researching how to wind motors, will propably get a thread up about that soon-ish :wink:

1 Like

Just want to make sure I understand this right, by saying that means the phase wire must go backwards and to the VESC right? and not directly straight lines towards VESC.

this is how I do it. it means the that the wires are only bending a very small amount, also is prevents bending directly where they exit the motors.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly what I did with mine. I noticed that when I do it the other way around which is the ‘not good’ way, it tends to push the wires directly into the can. Maybe I push to hard. haha. But yeah, the small bent will give good clearance for any movement. Cheers