Onan X2 Hack | Jet Spud | Swappable 10s2P| 2x VESC | Hummie Hubs

Hey octof1sh! Thanks for the compliment, and I’m glad you liked the board. It was really fun being able to ride it around the faire :slight_smile:

It makes me wonder if the should be an esk8 builders meetup in the bay area or something… There’s was quite a lot of us at the faire. Anyhow, feel free to drop me a note or post here if there’s anything I can help with in your endeavors.

Will do, checking out the build now! Thanks for dropping me a note.

We should have a esk8 booth next year at the fair, you think we can make that happen?

Definitely.

1 Like

tell me please the base ESC on ONAN is it vesc ? I wanna make some hack like you but i place TORQUE Single Hub Motor (collections/electric-skateboard-hub-motors/products/torque-single-hub-motor) so i wanna know what the type of esc and battery be better

does anyone know if it’s possible to program the ESC on onan booster x2.1?

If the ESC is the standard chinese one (meepo, woogo, ownboard, backfire ecc…) and I am afraid this is the case, no it’s not possible because it is not open source. You can either replace it with 2 VESC (dual hub at least for onan booster, right?) or in order to save money now the chinese companys had released a new ESC that seems having a smoother acceleration and brakes. Depend of what youare looking for and the budget available.

The base ESC is most definitely not VESC. To make this build work, you need to gut the Onan and put a VESC in there. Two is a tight fit, but doable.

So it is possible to control the onan x2 hubs with two vesc 6 controllers insteat of the cheap chinese esc inside?

Yep! Of course, you’ve got to wire up the sensor connections.

Hi Faust, (and others) I just got an onan (labelled as nuff board) and it has a dead controller board. Is anyone who has gutted their onan unit willing to sell me their old controller pcb? I believe the big board in mine is ok it’s the daughterboard that is fried, so even if someone’s main pcb was damaged I could probably still use it. I’m in northern California… Thanks!

UPDATE: I got VESC controllers instead. I actually wrote to ONAN in china and at first they offered me a new control board for $85 but then started to bait and switch me up to $345 for everything including shipping. Real rip off, so I went VESC instead

Hey mate, how difficult would it be to get a drive belt motor and just swap the 3 power cable’s out for the ones already connected to the hub?

Could we make an off road conversion using this technique?

Unfortunately not. The cables are low-current and I believe the ESC wouldn’t supply enough current anyways. You’d need to swap in 2 VESCs. There’s also the clearance issue (since the AT wheels would have wheelbite on the chassis).

I managed to do this by moving the chassis forward, but it was basically a full overhaul.

Why weren’t 12s2p 30Q by skipping the bms anyways an option?