Ollin V2 Motor Mount - Adjustable Idler Drive

Another detail finished!

The idler is no longer just a stack of bearings. Really brings the fit and finish up another notch. Should be able to bang these out quickly on our lathe.

15 Likes

Replaceable axle(s) also to provide longevity for the initial investment :slight_smile:

Nice! is it pressed fit onto the bearings?

@Aeroquiv Yes, they are pressed in “by hand”.

5 Likes

Machuahuitl is a helluva name. Nice to see you moving in that direction.

What keeps the idler sleeve from moving laterally?

A bearing seat has been cut into both sides with a bushing/spacer also on the idler spindle so you can torque it down without binding the bearings.

4 Likes

That looks fantastic, nice work.

anything special about the trucks except for the precision look?

most “precision trucks” stand no chance against the steering precision of cast ronins, because they are just pretty much slightly lighter normal trucks with good looks.

I never said I was not using the ronin baseplates.

1 Like

@whitepony the main difference you will find in machined trucks with threaded axles is they will be “true”. Virtually all cast trucks are not exactly straight, brand new cast trucks are almost always bent or out of alignment. A tighter tolerance on axle thickness also plays a big role in reducing slop in your bearings.

Here is a good write up on the “precision” of cast trucks. https://nelsonlongboards.com/blogs/blog/15642889-how-precise-are-your-cast-trucks-the-longboard-truck-showdown-part-1

1 Like

Put me down for a set of precision when you get them. Being a heavier rider I can part with a couple $$$ for the peace of mind of CNC solid billet :smiley:

hah, its getting hot in here! :grinning:

Milling 4140 hardened chromoly axles. I think we will install these with the help of some heli-coil inserts since we are using fine threads. I see a CNC lathe in our future! :grin:

8 Likes

Pictures don’t do this board justice, so clean! Good look at both sides of our new mount adjusted a ready for action.

22 Likes

God damn that looks good on the ronins.

Shiny and CHROME!

1 Like

I think it’s time for a new Hill Climb Video - 6085 edition.

3 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about!!! So pretty…Soooooooo…Sick…

maybe this is crazy, but why diagonal? can’t you just mount it in-front/behind the rear axle and not get the torque steer?

xx85?

1. I like to have a balanced board, I ride fast and corning on a dual rear is fine until you hit a rough patch in the road and the tail end teleports away from you. Balancing the weight makes the board more predictable.

2. Torque steer… never had any issues. Regardless, the queen pin isolates any unwanted movement on the Ronin trucks.

3. 6085 is the actual size of those cans, I list motors at their actual size for builders to judge if they will fit within their design constraints.

4 Likes

Looks like a beauty. How long do we have to keep dreaming until we’re able to order these drives? Will you sell them with the Ronin trucks?

Thanks for sharing the awesome photo update!