Ollin FreeRide Re-Curve

If u can manage the double stack vesc then it’s definitely possible

1 Like

Anyone get their boards yet and have started building?

1 Like

You could have a seperate P group in the centre channel.

1 Like

I have not yet

Emailed them and still waiting for a response.

Some of you know winter wreaked havoc on my epoxy layup method. We tried heating the press and it just caused some cosmetic blemishes in the cover weave of almost all of the first pressings. The material layup cost is huge on these boards so I will be spraying the blemished boards with a color coat, either white with a black logo or black with a silver logo. Other colors are definitely a possibility so please feel free to chime in here on this thread if any of you feel like having a deck with a solid color coat.

I am currently repressing skins and everything is going smoothly now that we are not fighting freezing temps so the wood grain option is still happening!

7 Likes

Sick!!

I would love to put a cool skin on the bottom of a blemished board!

So many ideas!

5 Likes

Also @chaka have you thought about colored FG on the lids? Along with some glass frit looks sick!

20190313_113757

5 Likes

Is there any way you could leave the wood bare as I could burn a design into the deck if it was bare wood.

Look at you with the fancy drill bit, I remember those from my days building boats!

How does the epoxy hold up on aluminum? If it holds well a thinner sheet of aluminum could be used to keep the thickness in check.

@briman The bottom skin is primarily a composite structure, the wood veneer is in the center. The veneer is also very thin, about 1/42" in thickness.

2 Likes

Aw ok I wasn’t sure if it was a composite as it has the look of wood and on the site it looks like it is just a different type of wood veneer. But yeah I would not be able to burn a design into the deck with out creating toxic fumes. Thanks for clearing that up though :+1:

In a design without any compound curves I can mold a veneer onto the outside face of the bottom skin. The re-curve is nuts though, it has a pretty hefty compound curve where the deck goes from the truck mounts to the hollow core enclosure.

Maybe you should come out to New Mexico and burn your artwork into the veneer before I work my black magic in the press. :metal:

3 Likes

So keen to have the final product in my hands. Do you have any pictures to tease us with @chaka? You should do some decks with a bit of random art on them to cover the blemishes… Just an idea :stuck_out_tongue:

This is what I am working on today, yesterday the two on the right received their fresh belly pans. If you look closely the one on the left is one of the blems, nothing major but definitely a no-go for a full wood grain finish.

The sunshine from the open door shows just how thin those veneers are!

20190409_104323

9 Likes

Jeez thats some serious dedication to making sure only the best quality gear comes out. I bet there are quite a few sharks circling for more of these.

2 Likes

I’m happy to have a franken board if u wanna go a bit crazy with blems and imperfections

2 Likes

Thanks @Friskies, I just know having a board show up with some blems in the weave would kill the stoke for an owner.

@Hatman, purple and yellow, right! :wink:

2 Likes

Yeh purple and yellow with a distressed paint stripper finish would look sick!

2 Likes

I wish I could man that would be awesome. Maybe some day. Or you could send a few pieces out to me to burn and then I could ship them back for you to press with your black magic. Because if I came there I would end up finding out the magic and a good magician never reveals his secrets.

Purple and yellow is not a problem but the closest I can come to distressed paint stripper is this.

weatheredwood

legends! RIP

@briman05 most of the people who come out here from the east coast never leave. Besides, would be happy to share what I have learned from my own trials. The only reason I can operate cnc or press decks is from knowledge others have shared so it is actually kind of a dick move if I don’t share a little!

10 Likes