Carvon Discussion

How long do you expect it to take to machine the first batch of xl hangers?

1 Like

And you do a damn fine job at building them I can be a witness to that!

3 Likes

We’re gathering the tools to do it. Gonna start cutting either tomorrow or Wednesday. If all goes well, we will have them by next week.

3 Likes

Here’s another manufacturing efficiency that we are doing. We are only going to machine wheel adapters for clone wheels and put heat shrinks on 3 of the prongs to make it fit ABEC 11 Flywheels.

20180806_195138

There’s a couple of reasons this is better:

1. This will make us machine only one variation and allow us to have more time to machine other parts like the XL hangers, wheel adapters for Kegel cores, adapters for SixShooters, spacers, etc.

2. This actually solves the problem with the prongs of the wheel adapters cutting into the soft spokes of the ABEC11 Flywheels. The clone wheels are stronger and the they don’t get cut easily, so no need for heat shrinks.

We’ve found out that no matter how smooth we machine the edge of the prongs, it will still chip away the soft plastic of the Flywheel spokes. The heat shrinks will act as a buffer separating the plastic spokes from the aluminum prongs. It’s better to have the heat shrinks get cut and chipped, because you can replace them easily and cheaply, than the spokes of the Flywheels.

With 3 prongs covered in heat shrinks, it is already a tight but good fit. The other non-covered prongs will be in the middle of holes and will not touch the plastic spokes, so they cannot do any damage. This will effectively make it a 3-prongs wheel adapter, much like the Metroboard pulley insert.

Both TorqueDrive and SpeedDrive R/XL wheel adapters will be machined for clone wheels only from now on. We will send them with 6 pre-cut heat shrinks that you can install if you’re going to use ABEC11 Flywheels.

7 Likes

Hey @LEVer… I ordered a pair of adapter for my v4sdr on the weekend seeing they were on sale and I see you just came up a day or two later with the newer design …I see you told @sayekim he would get the updated if he ordered yesterday…am I gonna get the newer version also??I definitely want the newer ones please if so… Cheers carvon site order #1128

Yup, proven to work! - except, being uncertain of the strength of the prongs, I put heatshrink on all of them. Makes for an aggressively snug fit. @LEVer is that overkill?

Also used adhesive heatshrink, adds more thickness and prevents heatshrink from slipping out.

1 Like

Yup, you’re getting the latest. Just machined a bunch of them, shipping it out today.

2 Likes

Yeah, your setup made me confident it works. As long as you can fit the ABEC 11 Flywheels, it’s fine if you put heat shrinks on all of them. People can start with 3 prongs and work their way up. Main thing is to protect the thin and soft spokes of the ABEC 11 Flywheels since they are expensive.

Definitely use double-wall, adhesive lined heat shrink for thickness and for not slipping out.

5 Likes

Reaching out to @ChrisChaput. I’ve called (voice inbox full), texted and emailed to no avail. Just hoping that I won’t have to machine the XL hangers myself since my order is still pending.

4 Likes

LOL things are definitely out of Jerry’s empty hands now. Look at you, nothing to do except typing updates and communicate. Get back to work damn it!

4 Likes

Thank you sir much appreciated…

1 Like

Can I just use electrical tapes instead of heatshrink on the adapter prongs?

Haha, things go full circle.

Anyone with a line of communications into @ChrisChaput that can help move this along?

@psychotiller @MrHappy

2 Likes

Probably. I started with electrical tape, but didn’t want to deal with gooey residue. Fitting the wheel would occasionally push the tape down as well. Give it a try, though!

1 Like

He probably just quit and went over to work with Labeda on some green kegel cores.

5 Likes

I am working, listening if the machine crashes or when it needs a tool change haha. Life is good compared with before!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Tape is too thin and will eventually come off because of the heat and less-conformed fitting. Buy this from HF if you have one close by and just use the 3/8 size, cut them longer than the prongs:

https://www.harborfreight.com/42-piece-marine-heat-shrink-tubing-67598.html

6 Likes

I took off the wheel adapters on website, some people are buying them even though they did not purchase drives from us. Just PM me here if you need them.

1 Like

Jumping late in the conversation. About over heating how do you recommend to remove the urethane without destroying it ? I’d like to keep it on the side if possible. The drive is unusable with urethane on a 2WD configuration, it will overheat with 5-10 mins ( I weight 83 kg ).

I am trying to reach you by mail for 2 month now the V4 you sent me ( not my updated V3) has one motor with a huge gap. I tried the technique with the wheel and tightening the nut as hard as I could with no success, is it safe to ride ?

Here is the gap I am talking about I have around 35 km on this drive, I am currently riding the updated V3 cause I m afraid of the gap @LEVer can I arrange this myself ? Thanks