Carvon Discussion

So technically speaking there are three reasons why you give max V for motor:

1. @b264 is right, insulation on wiring etc does matter - and there are some very thinly insulated winding wires that will start causing problems at low voltages (~50V) if you provide enough of moisture to stator (moisture will get into cracks that are created during winding process)
  2. common method with electric motors is to create something called “excitation pulses” to create Eddy current in stator (or rotor depends on which configuration you use) during nearest magnet position to amplify the main field flux on work phase of magnet pass - specifically useful technique on permanent magnet machines to achieve a very high low rpm torque. When you use excitation pulses, since those are square wave of very short duration, these generally create very little current in coils (compared to drive current) so you can use very high voltages for that.
  3. Some motors use built in diodes to provide multipole configuration from less driving phases (switch reluctant motors are prime example) and here max voltage would be a diode max reverse voltage.

I know that this questions might seem over the top for some - I just wanted to know max rating for a motor.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Haha I was kinda right and almost completely wrong. Lots of juicy info but not quite as specific as you asked.

Are you planning on using VESC, or do you have something more interesting planned?

You are correct

In Carvons case Some of that has to do with the eprm limit in the vesc and can cause a DRV failure Moving up in voltage won’t kill the motor It will make the motor hit that limit and what use is that to anyone So from what I understand would need a lower kv motor than what is used now to offset a higher voltage or a vesc with a higher limit :wink:

At the beginning I definitely will use vesc as learning curve for RWD, but going for AWD will require 240A out of battery pack, which makes:

• cabling cumbersome
  • fusing strategy obscure
  • any bms way over-engineered
  • to many cells in parallel for my liking (if one cell fails you end up with rest of parallel setup dumping power into it).

It’s a third time I’ve writing this god damn reply … going from meeting to a f@#%$^@# meeting :confused:

Anyway my plan was to start with 12S graphen lipo for power stability and grow from there. So in the future I might go for higher voltage pack - but that will cause need for different esc. So I want to future proof the setup, and since those motors seem to have a more beefy shafts (no innuendo here) - it looks like a reasonable investment.

1 Like

I’m with you on most of above, but changing over to graphene only solves the “too many cells” problem? Maybe fusing if you were thinking cell-level. Ar cables if you’re building a flexy setup.

Have you seen this?

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/a-theory-on-hill-climbing-massive-lipos-dual-6374-and-the-c-word/34437

Oh and if this is your first ride, I’ve found that even overbuilt, on e-boards things wear out and fail with alarming speed. I’m pretty sure it’s not just me (NYC commuter). It’s not often brought up directly, but everyone seems to have a pile of broken parts.

The v3/v4 design looks to address many many issues (beefy shafts lol), but, speaking from experience, I wouldn’t count on any e-board lasting forever.

2 Likes

True, but: when I go for 65C graphens that theoretically can deplete them self in 55.3 seconds, then I will not get problems with cell temperatures, heat accumulation, issues with regen breaking peaking out voltages and them me trying to “run it out”.

about beefy shafts … sorry, but I was struggling for better term at that time, but I can surely compensate this with “larger rods” or “more girthy poles” :wink: (glad is made someone chuckle at least)

back to the subject, in terms of price and stuff breaking my grampa had a saying “everything cheap i more expensive in the long run”, which kinda makes sense, if you use hangers with flimsy shafts and you drive torque through those you may lose the wheel, then loose your teeth in the process … and last time I’ve checked implants are more expensive than most expensive e-skate motors :slight_smile: So I understand that nothing lasts forever, I just want to minimise the failure rate on vital components (hence overkill batteries and “beefy shafts”)

ps. don’t get me started on C rating :confused: yes at 90% C rating may be true but when you get close to true 20% of SOC you can take C rating and divide by 10 easily - so as I said before bms should monitor cell voltages and give current limits to all the motors in setup rather than motors sensing the main bus voltage and users ending up with oscillation.

3 Likes

@deucesdown & @tomtom13 let’s try to keep the geek talk on the other thread so people can follow along and apply it to thier builds :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

1 Like

Any update on estimated delivery? Just checking in.

If you check on carvon Instagram , the speed drives r and XL are all ready with Jerry the motor part that is he’s waiting on the CNC’D trucks to come only thing that’s holding him back ,after they arrive still have to assemble them, 1-2 months to go before they start shipping them out

1 Like

Can you link to where he posts updates, too tired to search :yum:

He post stuff on Instagram, but also check his Kickstarter he posted the updates https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/carvonllc/carvon-next-generation-electric-skateboards-longbo/posts on the category"updates " @scepterr

2 Likes

Going by the last update there…all motors shipped in January?

Something like that or end of January, delays happen as I said he’s just waiting on the cnc trucks to come and the time to assemble the motors.

I’m in no particular rush just planning things out :yum: Gonna be swimming in motors in February

1 Like

Cool, Thanks!

Just getting into esk8… looks like i just missed the hottest motor out there. :yum: ah well. Im going to ride something cheap and chinese in the meantime. I’ll catch the next wave.

These and the new hummies are the new heat around here

2 Likes

From my (very recent!) research it looked that way. I think the direct drive concept is the engineering solution of the future. Seems like it would retain the best qualities of both outboards and in-wheel hubs. Im a big guy, but i live in houston where it is flat, so no crazy torque is really necessary so i was leaning towards hubs, but they all seem a little weak. Anyway, i bought a kickstarter board, ionboard x, to be able to skate around with my nephews since they also have boards until i build something. Its supposed to essentially be an improved meepo. Supposed to have 9 ply board. 2 x 500w hubs and 350Wh battery. The price was right… ill probably post a review when it arrives.

1 Like