Carvon Discussion

Hahaha Show ME the MONEY!

Lol

Thanks @Michaelinvegas for organizing this gb! And @thisguyhere for keeping tabs :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi, I missed out on this as well. I would appreciate if you could inform me when you have another opportunity like this one.

Also are you guys are selling any of your other motors at all ?

these are now for sale on the carvon website :wink:

THANKS !!! you guys rock !

2 Likes

I know that this will be a n00b question, but:

• are those out-runners
  • what about impact protection / resistance (looking for outer housing material & thickness + influence of bend on performance
  • what is a bearing solution here (depends on outrunner / inrunner etc)
  • for your motors that is a max RMS phase current continuous / 20s / 5s
  • heat rejection
  • water resistance ( I don’t expect it to be IP69K but whenever this will survive occasional puddle - I’m based in UK so this kinda matters)

Hey I don’t think anyone is going to answer these except maybe that they’re outrunners and will have a silicone/polyurethane sleeve to protect the can.

These motors are small batch custom made at factories building for hobby applications, so there won’t be industrial spec sheets.

As far as i know they’re using SK3 outrunners as a starting point. They have a protecting sleeve on the outside. Voltage max is 12S. Outrunners are water resistant, you can even run them underwater without issues (bearings are not water resistant so they will wear faster).

Do you have any source for this? I thought the motors were completely custom.

It’s on the carvon v3 thread.

@tomtom13 def not noobs questions hahaha def some of these best left for Jerry to answer. I fear I may give a wrong answer to be honest.

I would like to get max voltage from manufacturer in Volts … I might run in in different chemistry than others so I would like to hear it from horses mouth.

You never know. Some of those details might’ve been common knowledge so … you know. If you would forward those questions to Jerry I would appreciate it. Since those motors are not available anymore, and since you’ve got some v4 on your website - might be better to provide information for V4 ?

@tomtom13 some info from Jerry

Motors come from same factory as Sk3 but is highly modified with WYE winding and sensored pcb. Further modding is done for truck and wheel fitment.

As for h2o, they shouldn’t be ran through it deep. It should be wiped after.

There will definitely a urethane sleeve by the time the group buy ships. Motors have 6805 and 608 bearings.

Sk3 is the motor that Vedder used to develop the VESC, so the motors work very well with VESC. Vedder and manufacturer also met in Germany during development

6 Likes

Great stuff !

ps. any news on phase currents and max voltage ?

Pretty much all 63mm sk3 motors with KV < than 200 are 12s LIPOLY (12x4.2v = 50.4v) max. Given that Carvons are wired for 100kv this max will probably go up too.

I’m actually pretty sure it’ll run past 12s. I don’t really understand what these voltage limitations are for, given current is what burns out motors.

12s is the magic voltage for the V4s.

This.

I’m pretty sure the only voltage limits on motors are for the enamel insulation on the windings, and you’re far, far more likely to hit current limits before that even matters… With that said, a higher voltage will drive more current through the same load, so they may be trying to pre-do some math for you by saying there is a maximum voltage.