Carvon Discussion

Regenerative braking does not put current into the motor. It’s the same as holding the motor in your hand with the 3 phases connected together – it’s really, really hard to turn. The mechanical energy is being converted to heat in the phase wires (and windings).

If you instead connect it to a battery through 6 one-way junctions then the battery will be charged by the mechanical motion.

4 Likes

so what percent is converted to energy in the battery and what percent is heat and what are the variables.

I think there’s a boost converter or some voltage regulation involved, as the voltage in the “generator” must be higher than the battery (water cannot flow uphill).

So some heat in the mechanical -> electrical conversion in the windings, some heat in the boost circuit, and some in the switching in the fets as usual? I don’t really know/understand how the current limits are applied.

Haha talking completely out my ass. But maybe someone who knows stuff will get triggered and post actual info. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s no boost converter or regulation. The software is open-source if you want to inspect how it works.

You’d have to look at the source code for your firmware to see exactly what it’s doing, but my best guess is that below battery voltage, it’s shorting the leads together (burning off the energy as heat in the windings) and above battery voltage it’s sending it to the BMS to charge the battery.

i think when braking the voltage coming from the motor will always be below battery voltage unless the motor were spinning faster than the no-load speed. if when braking it were just shorting i think that would be a huge amount of power to dissipate in the windings

OMG took a quick look. I think the theory is needed before the code is approachable lol.

1 Like

Nice simple explanation that’s somewhat intuitive. It’s from a comment in this video which is completely useless

Heh dug up more intense stuff. @hummie see if you can get through these :slight_smile:

I also tried to read the spec sheet on DRV8302. Too much for me! But I think I got the essence of it (no simple boost converter circuit lol).

1 Like

Yeah… No Have you ever made a brushed generator? Essentially you spin a coil of wire between two magnets and the magnetic field generates a current on the wire which can be turned into useful power. I made one in a Science fair project when I was like 10…

Any brushless motor can be turned into a generator, all you need is a way to rectify the voltage… If only we had some kind of switching regulator to control the voltage and current output of the generator. Oh wait. We do. It’s called an ESC.

1 Like

Hehe speaking of triggered :wink: Come on in the water’s warm.

Thanks, the rectification thing helps me digest this. But regen braking seems way more “controlled” than mere generation.

Hahaha. Yes definitely more controlled than a simple generator mainly because the output voltage is pegged to the battery voltage.

But the principle stands. Yes. That video applies. Control theory is awesome but it is extremely complicated if you’re simply trying to understand how regen works.

Its like a kid asking why apples fall from trees at a certain speed and you going into relativity and then into the aerodynamics of an apple.

Yes all of that is relevant but at the same time its just superfluous information when you could get away with a much simpler explanation.

In layman terms. Regen breaking is achieved by doing the exact opposite of driving a motor by the esc. An ESC driving a motor converts electrical power to mechanical power. An ESC controlling a generator converts mechanical power to electrical power.

Source: I also work with hybrid electric uav systems where brushless motors are used as generators to charge batteries.

2 Likes

So, uh. Wheres that timeline on the XL’s?

3 Likes

1531433987642 1531434003154 Is it normal such difference?

3 Likes

Doubt it!! I’m honestly scared for the quality control on these.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, they seem to be off the point. The V3 we’re perfect never had a single issue, I will not ride until @LEVer shows up… It’s way too dangerous

Wow, so after all that waiting, supposedly because he didn’t want to release anything that didn’t meet his highest of standards, this is what gets shipped out… Lol… And the XL’s STILL have yet to be delivered.

1 Like

Same thing on my drives, :frowning: also weird clicky noises are back.

Yeah it’s crazy, I regret my V3 so much… + the heat dissipation was way better on the V3… I have still another drive so I can keep riding carvon and it’s so great, I don’t know what happened to this batch

1 Like

Well I’d send it back for a new one, provided of course that they send it out right away, and don’t keep you waiting for a month…

1 Like

Do you mean you v3s create more heat now that they’ve been upgraded to V4? I would also like to get my v3s upgraded as offered by Carvon, but not if they’re going to perform hotter

If u ask me keep your V3, V3 have one weakness it’s the fan inside, if you hit the rotor can too hard it can break. If you have good roads, it will never happen. The V4 has an urethane sleeve over the rotor can so the heat has less space to escape. Since on the V3 the rotor can is in direct contact with the air. My 2 cents. The V4 are as well really great just I have to raise my temperature cutoff to 110*